PDA

View Full Version : diisposing of secondhand books (preferably for money)

CoolGirl
21-12-09, 07:03 PM
A very good friend of mine passed away last week, and he's left me his entire library of books, which runs to over 500 volumes.

Some of them I want to keep and read if I can, and some will be given away to others as mementoes. But some of them I already have, and I really don't have room for the rest. I don't think it was his inention that I should house them all for posterity.

I could give a load away to charities, but what really I'd like to do is sell them if I can, and donate the money instead. Any ideas on the best way of doing that? (preferably not by putting them on Amazon marketplace and having to parcel them up individually).

missyburd
21-12-09, 07:08 PM
Car boot sale?

CoolGirl
21-12-09, 07:14 PM
Car boot sale?

V good, except I don't own a car and Mike drives a Smart!

missyburd
21-12-09, 07:23 PM
V good, except I don't own a car and Mike drives a Smart!

Hmm but you may possibly have a number of friends who might like you enough to give you a hand for a morning or so? :-)

Maybe find out if your local church(s) are having any christmas fayre things, they might be interested in selling some for you or just keeping them in the church for people to rifle through every Sunday, especially if they know the money would go to charity?

Ed
21-12-09, 07:59 PM
Depends what sort of books they are. Hardback first editions can still fetch a few £££. Anything antiquarian is deffo worth an expert opinion. Bog standard paperbacks are worth very little. I'd be thinking of calling a dealer and asking them how much they'll give you - but they will always quote very, very low.

Bluepete
21-12-09, 08:04 PM
We got rid of five big (80cm by 80cm) boxes of various paperbacks. I tried loads of places, but in the end, we only got £5 per box.

I would sort out the decent quality hardbacks and give the rest to charity.

Pete ;)

timwilky
21-12-09, 09:15 PM
they don't have to be very old to be valuable, some first edition harry potter etc are worth a small fortune

Quiff Wichard
21-12-09, 11:53 PM
any chris ryan or andy mcnabb in there CG ?

anna
21-12-09, 11:57 PM
PM on its way hun......

Von Teese
22-12-09, 05:18 AM
Be careful as some books dont look like much but they are worth a fortune, Ive just paid £88 for a rare book that sold for $15.99 when it was published (and that was a bargain as they usually go for well over £125).

I would check on websites or enter the ISBN number first and see how much each goes for.

Eg: my book... tiny A5 in size but pricey as now is a rare copy:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1930064012/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Icanopit
22-12-09, 08:55 AM
You could also assess Yellow Pages for Seconhand book sales/purchase, we found a "fair" one recently and saved ourselves time and trouble.
JOHN

stewie
22-12-09, 04:08 PM
Why not stick a few up for sale on here, we're quite a cereberal lot really ;)