PDA

View Full Version : Why I'll be glad to see the back of 2009

Ed
21-12-09, 08:34 PM
I will be so glad to see the back of 2009. Apart from a few terrific bike adventures, the 675 Fest and the Triumph factory tour being up there with the best, it's been awful, and I feel mentally and emotionally exhausted after a bruising year. Why? Work. Being self employed in 2009 is no joke. I can try - and do try - as hard as I like but without proper economic conditions, it's a waste of time. I hate this Government, I didn't vote them in and I can't wait to vote the buggers out, problem is that there is no radical alternative. The Tories look like the current lot only an ickle bit different. Cameron? Sadly I don't rate him, but he's the best of a bad bunch.

We need someone with balls to take on big business, someone who will tell the EU to get back in the box, someone who will cut through all the Labour PC crap and stop all this bureaucracy that we have all sadly grown so used to that we are all worn down by it all, someone who will ensure social justice where Labour have completely failed, above all someone with the honesty and integrity that whilst you might not like what you're hearing, you nonetheless know that it's true.

Big business has become what the unions were in the late 1970s, too powerful, untouchable, these huge corporations that behave with such arrogance and disdain need to be broken up so that smaller people like me have a chance to compete on a level playing field. I run a small solicitor practice - 2 partners, 10 in the team - the Government has decided to allow corporations like Tesco and the AA to offer legal services. I have no problem taking them on head to head on client service and quality of work because I know that we can give them a hiding, a bloody nose.

But I can't match their capital resources.

The Government hasn't a clue what it's like for small businesses, everyone wants something for nothing , how many calls do I get asking for 'No Win No Fee', it's one helluva job trying to make the books balance, they give mega billions to banks which are apparently too big and too important to fail, well isn't my team of 10 employees just as important? They are so goddamn arrogant, proposing to pay huge bonuses when some months I take home nothing - and I mean, NOTHING. Isn't my Jayne's mortgage every bit as important as a RBS employee's mortgage? Or does the fact that we're based in a relatively small town in sleepy Shropshire instead of some glass and steel edifice down in London (that we can afford only through smoke and mirrors accounting) mean that we don't matter?

I haven't had a penny piece of help from the Government, no not a bean, just threatening and intimidatory letters from the Inland Revenue cos I was late paying my self assessment last January (so the *******s whopped on a £500 fine), and they care even less. Friends, they couldn't give a ****.

They can f*ck off, the lot of em.

Thank god for my bike http://www.675.cc/675/images/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

A friend said that what I have to do is, on the stroke of midnight on 31 December, open the front door to let the new year in, and then with the clock still chiming, rush through the house and open the back door to shove the old year out. I am so going to do just that.

Good riddance 2009, good riddance Gordon Brown in 2010, and don't bloody well come back.

Ed

fenjer
21-12-09, 08:38 PM
oooh Good Riddance to 2009 from me too...

Grandfather died in January
Partner left me in June
Moved house in August
dad lost his job in August (two weeks after taking out a mortgage!)
beloved dog died in September
Best friends dad died in October
Car needed £500 spent on it in November

Roll on 2010 and what ever govt should come along... lol

Happy Crimble Folks!

Wideboy
21-12-09, 08:41 PM
oh im going to be sending this ****ty year out with a big bang........... soooo long 2009 :salut:

Biker Biggles
21-12-09, 09:53 PM
Funny old thing Ed,but I agree with almost everything you said,but I hate Thatcher and the Tories and everything they stand for.I was a Labour voter until they took us into unwinable illegal wars,but I accept they are now too authoritarian and need to be toppled.As I have got older I have become more and more anti government generally.Power corrupts,and the more of it we let them have the more corrupt they become.Both parties.

Milky Bar Kid
21-12-09, 09:57 PM
I thought 2009 was going to be a better year for me but instead things just carried on as they were in 2008. So I am not holding out much hope for 2010...that way I won't be disappointed if it is guff but very happy if it's a good one.

That said, this year I have made some VERY good friends, including Shell, Chezzah, Jen and Stretchie....I loves them all I do. S'pose you gotta take the good with the bad!

I hope all on here have a great Christmas and best wishes for the forthcoming year.

Specialone
21-12-09, 09:58 PM
Work wise, its not been great for me either, Only had 5 days work in whole of january, latter part of the year has been better, Jan 2010 looking good at present.

But...Put things into perspective, you aint dead or contracted any life threatening desease so be thankfull for that at least.
Ok things havent been great for some of us but your health and the health of your family and friends is what really matters when it comes down to it, money, material things mean nothing when you die so i try not to worry to much about them.

Hope 2010 goes better for you all, stay alive and healthy, thats the most important thing.

Phil

Bri w
21-12-09, 11:12 PM
I too am looking forward to a New Year. '09 has been difficult both personally, losing mum & looking after a very poorly mum in law, leaving our two boys (22 & 24) in Manchester and moving back to the Northeast to care for the mums. Professionally, with so much going on at home, it has been a major juggling act, especially with Senior Mgt want a quart out of the pint pot.

But whenever I have a really sh!tty time I grab a sheet of A4, put a line down the middle, and write the cr@p on one side of the line and all the good things on the other. Start with the cr@p first, and finish with the good. Its amazing how much good there is even in the dark times.

There are a number of cliche's that I tell myself; "every day is a nice day but some are nicer than others." "If I wake up in the morning, stretch out and I don't hit wood I'm on a winner."

But I don't wait for a New Year for things to get better. I always believe tomorrow will be better - why wait weeks/months for that holy grail of a New Year when all you've got to do is wait for tomorrow?

Naive, maybe... but a new dawn brings fresh energy to keep fighting for that better day.

A bit premature with Christmas still to come but I wish you all a brilliant 2010, with a slight wrinkle. I hope the good times start tomorrow.

Bri

embee
21-12-09, 11:51 PM
Hey Ed, I'm sure it's been said before, "Ed for PM!"

I'm self employed too, in a small way, and that's the way it'll stay. The "system" is just stacked against small enterprise. HMRC are just like the other state organisations, they'll go for the easy target every time, folks they can bully.

The trouble with elections is that whoever you vote for, the Government always gets in. We all know power corrupts, and almost every Government in history has perpetuated the custom. When things appear to be going well, it's down to the Government, when things are going badly it's everyone else's fault. Frankly I'm whizzed off with being told I'm guilty of greed and living beyond my means and running up all this credit so I'm responsible for the economic cesspit we are all in. Well Gordon F. Brown, NO I'M DAMN WELL NOT, it was YOU, oh and by the way, for f***'s sake stop giving my money away.

Sadly I fear 2010 will bite us all in the butt, the aforementioned cesspit is cold and deep, and getting a lot deeper as we speak. I'm fairly confident I'll weather it OK, but I feel for those who won't.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and everyone has a better year, I'll be genuinely pleased to be wrong on this one.

...and now the bad news......;)

Fizzy Fish
22-12-09, 07:25 AM
The "system" is just stacked against small enterprise. HMRC are just like the other state organisations, they'll go for the easy target every time, folks they can bully.

Absolutely, if you work hard and try and do the right thing you get shafted by the government - whether self-employed or employed!

Just look at how little is done for the professionals out of work at the moment, unemployed for the first time. Benefits don't even vaguely cover your outgoings, and there's not much useful help to find another job. At the end of the day, you're easy to shaft!

However if you're a lazy bum who's never worked and knows how to play the system, you come out OK...

I think it might just be time for a revolution! :lol:

Gazza77
22-12-09, 08:22 AM
See I've actually had quite a good 2009. I've got engaged, completed my accountancy qualifications without failing one exam in 2009, got a new job (though I won't start till Feb next year), bought a new car and just about finished all the renovations on the house.

Roll on 2010, when I will be starting the new job and getting married. Can't wait!

Jabba
22-12-09, 08:26 AM
I think it might just be time for a revolution! :lol:

Yup, and via the ballot-box next May/June. I just hope that all those who moan about the present govt make the effort to get out and vote. If you don't vote then you ain't got the right to whinge :thumbsup:

Hey Ed, you're a good, decent man that it's my pleasure to know. Thank you for the pointers/assistance you gave (and I mean gave) in September. In the circumstances you should have charged me for it fella.

I'll be glad to see the back of 2009 too:

1. Work is ****e (too much to do and no time to think about it or do it to a professional standard).
2. Family berevement in August that we're still, as a family, trying to sort out.
3. I haven't riden my beloved Hornet all year and will be giving up biking when I finally have the time to get around to selling it.
4. Hovis' passing was a tough one to take.

Having said that, I'm better off than most in many ways. In truth, I don't have anything to worry about. Job seems to be safe, family is fit and well, fridge is full and house is warm and dry, I have friends that I like and respect and hobbies/pastimes that are fun and keep me active. Contrary to the opinion of many, I still have all my faculties.

I wish everyone on here a very happy and peaceful Christmas and trust that 2010 will be better than 2009 for everyone. Except bankers and anyone that makes Ed's life a misery ;-)

Tara
22-12-09, 08:38 AM
i agree with the state of the country and everything that has been said to be honest, I agree with Jabba the Hovis death was really tough to take.

but other than that this year has seen the birth of my son and nothing can take away how happy he makes me and i love spending time with both Ryan and Falc he has made me alot less selfish.

have a lovely Christmas everyone and heres to a better 2010.

simesb
22-12-09, 08:52 AM
The "system" is just stacked against small enterprise. HMRC are just like the other state organisations, they'll go for the easy target every time, folks they can bully.

Both right and wrong. The system isn't stacked, but SME are easy targets as large corporations often have more man hours spent on their tax "management" than HMRC has to try and catch them.

Self employed too, and struggling. Roll on 2010

Quedos
22-12-09, 08:54 AM
2009 -
2 big deaths
2 fantastic weddings
and i have made some great friends out of both
getting up on stage and doing my thing!
5 babies being born - not including yours T
loss of a pet!
but on the upside the health is getting better and i can buy that
i will welcome 2010with open arms but with will keep at arms length
I'm not out of the woods yet and I fear that 2010 is going to be a diffcult one
(tho i will be celebrating 10 years with IP)

22-12-09, 08:55 AM
Good Sentiments Ed,

Its been a very mixed year, with our Marriage finally happening, deaths in the familly and moving twice...

roll on a more settled profitable year for all

timwilky
22-12-09, 09:50 AM
I too will be glad to see the back of this year and soon the back of this government. My son is self employed and there is little/ no work for those in the building related industries. My builder brother sold his business last year and the new owner made him redundant as soon as the hand over period finished despite promises to keep him on as his projects director. Again no work for that sort of person. My daughter has been trying to get a pupillage for the past 2 years. Wrong university, not the right school. she is close to just jacking the lot in. Masters in contract law and she works as a hospital receptionist.

Biker Biggles
22-12-09, 11:33 AM
Given that the money men actually run the country via the civil service and whoever happens to be the government at the time,I fear that the election coming in May will alter nothing at all apart from the names on the office doors.

Ed
22-12-09, 12:48 PM
Others have made some really good points on here - I don't have any life-threatening disease, I have a supportive family, there is food and drink, and we have a home (wish we could sell it though:(). There are plenty worse off than me, it's true.

Sorry for a self-indulgent whine:D

maviczap
22-12-09, 01:21 PM
Others have made some really good points on here - I don't have any life-threatening disease, I have a supportive family, there is food and drink, and we have a home (wish we could sell it though:(). There are plenty worse off than me, it's true.

No, it's ok to voice your feelings. I think we all agree with what you're saying.

I agree with the others, that neither party is better than the other. I can see a return to the Thatcher days with Lettwin in charge of the purse strings. Slash & burn, reduced public services. Ok for the millionaire tories.

Trouble is these days there are too many career politicians, who've never done a solid days work in their lives. The ones who have don't make it to the higher ranks, as usually they're working on our behalf, like they were elected to do.

I've raised this before, but this loathsome irk is trying to get elected as the MP for Ipswich. His dad is John Gummer, who has been a lifelong MP. He's the one who fed his daughter a burger during the middle of the BSE crisis.

But dear old Ben has never done a days hard graft in his life

Which is not hard when you're only 13

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bengummer.com/cms/uploads/2e64e464c0defa19df2a1a755eb783fe-small.jpg/CIMG0490.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.bengummer.com/&usg=__UUkhg3IPZ2MkPQrQq7MXRCUv7CQ=&h=450&w=600&sz=128&hl=en&start=6&sig2=c48hSGDeunuHG8Pf58iGEg&tbnid=IphhZurDz6RnmM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dben%2Bgummer%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa fe%3Dactive%26sa%3DG%26ie%3DUTF-8&ei=J8YwS6L8D8ec_AaEv6H5CA

MP's need to have real work life experience before they're allowed to apply. Plus they need to have lived and worked in thier constituencies too.

Sorry rant over :smt105

Fizzy Fish
22-12-09, 01:51 PM
I can see a return to the Thatcher days with Lettwin in charge of the purse strings. Slash & burn, reduced public services. Ok for the millionaire tories.

Yeah this worries me as well - and not just cos I work in the public sector. I totally agree with cutting back on wastage/inefficiency, but put another 500K people out of work in a period of relatively high unemployment, and the fragile recovery will be straight down the pan again. And you don't save that much because you end up paying those same people on benefits, and don't get any income tax from them either.

And when even Labour are talking about dramatic spending cuts, I hate to think what the Tories have in mind...

It's a tough call to make, and a very unpopular one, but a slight raise in taxes across the board in the short term, then public sector cuts in the longer term would IMO be the lesser of the two evils. At least more people stay in work and it keeps the economy going.

From a personal perspective though, 2009 has not been a bad one overall.

Was almost bullied out of my job at the start of the year, but some good friends and support from the trade union saw me through it, and the situation has now totally turned around.

And I've had some fab times with some great friends (including from this site :thumbsup: ), a few pretty cool holidays, been out on the bike a fair bit, survived a redundancy cull, even had on OK summer for Blighty....

Hope the luck keeps going, and spreads around to everyone else for next year! :D

Bri w
22-12-09, 03:01 PM
Mmmmm, tax rises and cut backs in services...

I'd quite happily pay a reasonable amount of tax providing everyone paid the same level - sorry for the self indulgent whine but having gone onto the 40% bracket. Got the job and career I want but why bother if there is little benefit financially.

Before cutting back in services a rhetorical question; why is the UK seen as a gravy train for any economic immigrant? An awful lot, NOT ALL, come here because of the level of social care. Make it on a par with the rest of the EU and lets see if we still have an immigration problem and a strain on social services.

*runs and hides after lobbing in the hand grenade*

stewie
22-12-09, 03:09 PM

It,d only be a self indulgent whinge if you were,nt among friends Ed and you are so dont worry about it, Ive nowt to complain about thankfully and 2010
is looking ok so far, I hope you all get the 2010 you want and deserve :D

arc123
22-12-09, 04:13 PM
Christ what a bunch of whingers. :rolleyes:

Ed
22-12-09, 04:27 PM
Christ what a bunch of whingers. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your constructive comment.

You're entitled to your opinion, mister, and I'm entitled to mine. Hope your job's nice and secure.

LK-SV
22-12-09, 04:34 PM
I'd quite happily pay a reasonable amount of tax providing everyone paid the same level - sorry for the self indulgent whine but having gone onto the 40% bracket. Got the job and career I want but why bother if there is little benefit financially.

There's many a person on here that would love to be in the 40% tax bracket ....stop moaning ;)

You should be grateful that you're not in the 50% tax bracket :smt009*

* not that I am :D

arc123
22-12-09, 04:37 PM
Thank you for your constructive comment.

You're entitled to your opinion, mister, and I'm entitled to mine. Hope your job's nice and secure.

no problem :)

What happened to being thankful for being alive?? Having a wife, family etc etc.

I don't disagree with most of what you're saying - the supermarkets have been ruining industries for years. I choose not to shop at them where ever possible because of that and support local businesses where ever I can.

Happy Christmas to you - hope 2010 brings more happiness to your lives.

maviczap
22-12-09, 04:41 PM
no problem :)

What happened to being thankful for being alive?? Having a wife, family etc etc.

I don't disagree with most of what you're saying - the supermarkets have been ruining industries for years. I choose not to shop at them where ever possible because of that and support local businesses where ever I can.

Happy Christmas to you - hope 2010 brings more happiness to your lives.

I think you'll find Ed did say this if you read all the posts :rolleyes:

Ed
22-12-09, 04:49 PM
Happy Christmas to you too arc123.

*Friendly handshake*

rick0361
22-12-09, 04:58 PM
For me 2009 has been a little bit better than the previous 4 or 5 years (apart from getting mugged in June - yeah you little sh*ts - hope you get hypothermia) as I feel more at peace with the losses I had endured in the past few years. I feel more at ease with myself as well which is good.
Just wish I had more time to do some of the things I really want to do - big walks in Scotland, some climbs in Dorset and generally not being ground down by the 9-5.
I also agree with all the sentiments expressed about the lousy politicians that we are saddled with who make a career out of screwing up this country and sending our brave soldiers, sailors,marines and airman to fight without giving them the tools to do the job properly.
If there is one thing I would like to see with the politicos it is that they actually come from the constituency they represent and were born and bred there. Then we would have people who would know the real issues instead of just being sympathetic.
I love my family and my friends both on here and all over the world and wish them a better year next year - even if you have had a good one this year.

Bri w
22-12-09, 06:00 PM
There's many a person on here that would love to be in the 40% tax bracket ....stop moaning ;)

You should be grateful that you're not in the 50% tax bracket :smt009*

* not that I am :D

How about we all pay 40%, then services won't have to be cut ;) fairs fair.

maviczap
22-12-09, 06:19 PM
If there is one thing I would like to see with the politicos it is that they actually come from the constituency they represent and were born and bred there. Then we would have people who would know the real issues instead of just being sympathetic

Hear Hear

Ed
22-12-09, 07:14 PM
Pah, we need to move to the US system, where the date of the election is known years in advance, we need 4 yearly cycles and not 5 yearly ones, and we ought to have direct elections for the PM. The current system is wide open to abuse. Where's the fairness in the serving PM being able to choose the best time for the election? If the date were known years in advance, then they can't avoid reality. Also, in a fast changing world, 5 years is too long, 4 years is more like it. And voting for MPs who then choose the PM - rather than the electorate choosing who is boss - is arcane.

Biker Biggles
22-12-09, 09:51 PM
And another idea.We need to outlaw the central party control over who is allowed to stand for office.As long as the suits control this they effectively control who can become an MP.The Tories have their A list of candidates and regularly parachute one of the chosen few into safe seats,and Labour have a similar system.Totally corrupt.

Bibio
22-12-09, 09:53 PM
supose it weren't that bad a year considering the past couple i have had. hhhhmmm lets see what 2010 can throw at me.

Drew Carey
23-12-09, 08:22 AM
For me 2009 has been a year of the biggest highs and lowest lows....got married, was amazing. Then Hovis's sad passing, now followed by my Grandma who has untreatable stomach cancer and is bed ridden.....just a matter of time. :-( Roll on 2010!!!!

LK-SV
23-12-09, 09:19 AM

Well I'll be paying it, if that makes you feel better ....

..... but I think how lucky I am to have some disposable income, to be able to treat my friends and family, and not to have to wake up each morning with the fear of debt ......

.......I don't sit and think how unlucky I am to be earning more than the national average ..... ;)

Glass half empty ??:D

simesb
23-12-09, 09:27 AM
And another idea.We need to outlaw the central party control over who is allowed to stand for office.As long as the suits control this they effectively control who can become an MP.The Tories have their A list of candidates and regularly parachute one of the chosen few into safe seats,and Labour have a similar system.Totally corrupt.

Rubbish - the problem is the narrow mind of the electorate. The proverbial donkey with a red rosette would be elected here. I wouldn't care if it was the candidate with the best policies, but electing it for its political party is not always a good idea.

5 year elections are fine if you command a large enough majority, a bad plan if you end up with 5 years of a hung parliament when no legislation can be passed.

Quedos
23-12-09, 01:48 PM

You tell that to those on minimum wage - do you think they can afford it? We want people to work not live off benefits.

Services however will always be cut regardless of increases - but then again ours come from Scottish Government so slightly different.

2010 - I have high hopes for it

Biker Biggles
23-12-09, 02:40 PM
Rubbish - the problem is the narrow mind of the electorate. The proverbial donkey with a red rosette would be elected here. I wouldn't care if it was the candidate with the best policies, but electing it for its political party is not always a good idea.

5 year elections are fine if you command a large enough majority, a bad plan if you end up with 5 years of a hung parliament when no legislation can be passed.

Dunno why you think my point is "rubbish"as you are agreeing with everything I said.The "donkey" with whatever colour rosette gets elected in most constituencies,so whoever controls the selection of said donkeys contols who gets elected.Think about it.

Bri w
23-12-09, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w http://forums.sv650.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?p=2130327#post2130327)
How about we all pay 40%, then services won't have to be cut :wink: fairs fair.

You tell that to those on minimum wage - do you think they can afford it? We want people to work not live off benefits.

Services however will always be cut regardless of increases - but then again ours come from Scottish Government so slightly different.

I'd like everyone to be on 40%, and have a disposable income and not have to worry about minimum wage. By having a low band of tax, and a minimum wage the govt and those paying the 40% are subsidising companies who don't pay a proper wage.

Another 'unfair' tax is council tax. I'm on a low band, in mid taxing council area. Why should Joe Bloggs just down the road, who may be on minimum wage, have to pay 50% more than me to have his bins emptied?

My point is equality, whether it be income tax or council tax, and if something somewhere else in the Govt's budget needs cutting to give equality then so be it.

Bri w
23-12-09, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE=Bri w;2130978]Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w http://forums.sv650.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?p=2130327#post2130327)
How about we all pay 40%, then services won't have to be cut :wink: fairs fair.

I'd like everyone to be on 40%, and have a disposable income and not have to worry about minimum wage. By having a low band of tax, and a minimum wage the govt and those paying the 40% are subsidising companies who don't pay a proper wage.

Another 'unfair' tax is council tax. I'm on a low band, in mid taxing council area. Why should Joe Bloggs just down the road, who may be on minimum wage, have to pay 50% more than me to have his bins emptied?

My point is equality, whether it be income tax or council tax, and if something somewhere else in the Govt's budget needs cutting to give equality then so be it

Jabba
23-12-09, 04:19 PM
Services however will always be cut regardless of increases

Sorry but there's a flaw in the logic. For a service to be cut it had to be provided in the first place, therefore what you say can't be true.

We should be voting for the people who promise to provide the best compromise of services for everyone at a price we can afford and are willing to pay. This is where the current system falls down - political parties cater for their core voters and then try to persuade people to join their core voters at the ballot box.

Me too. Might be a good year both personally and for the country, where we come to our collective senses, stop thinking about #1 and start thinking about what we can do for the greater good.

Merry Christmas everyone :-D

Jabba
23-12-09, 04:22 PM
......and if something somewhere else in the Govt's budget needs cutting to give equality then so be it

We can start be planning to bring our gallant guys and galls back home from unwinnable (please note that I didn't say "pointless") wars and conflicts in other parts of the world.

Mr Brown, Mr Cameron & Mr Clegg - take note and stick this in your manifestos. If me and my friends and family are represententative of most folks in the UK then this will be a vote-winner :thumbsup: