PDA

View Full Version : New Phone

L3nny
30-12-09, 11:12 AM
I am due for an upgrade on Vodafone so it's new phone time. :smt041

Any suggestions on what to get?

Was looking at the new HTC Tattoo, Samsung Jet or HTC Magic.

Anyone got one of these?

-Ralph-
30-12-09, 11:35 AM
I've had an HTC Touch Pro and Now have a Samsung Omnia Pro. The Samsung is better than the HTC, but I can't say I'd recommend any Windows mobile touch screen phone.

Mine is a work phone, so I don't get a choice, but if I did I'd have an iPhone or a Blackberry, simply from the perspective of reliability and ease of use.

L3nny
30-12-09, 11:47 AM
I've currently got a HTC s710 Windows Mobile phone and it's pretty pants apart from the fact it has internet connection sharing allowing me to access the internet on my laptop via the phone.

Would like to have this feature on a new phone but not essential.

The price of the I Phones are a joke and they don't seem to do anything better than any other smart phone.

TimMcC
30-12-09, 12:30 PM
Very happy with Android on my HTC Magic. I have nothing bad to say about it at all.

That said, I'd get the HTC Tattoo if I was upgrading now, because it's the newer model ;)

phil24_7
30-12-09, 12:38 PM
I would love to have the HTC touch HD2, if it was Android based!

barwel1992
30-12-09, 12:39 PM
carnt stands the HTC's my GF has a HTC hero and when i use it i want the throw it out of the window :P but i love my nokia 5800

phil24_7
30-12-09, 01:00 PM
I can't stand the 5800. My GF has one and it's not intuitive, it's slow and the camera is terrible!

L3nny
30-12-09, 01:40 PM
I can't stand the 5800. My GF has one and it's not intuitive, it's slow and the camera is terrible!

My GF has a 5800 and it seems okay just not really the sort of thing I am after.

Just been to the Vodafone shop and had a go on the magic and tattoo in a shop, the tattoo is basically a cheap version of the magic with a cheaper touch screen. Wasn't really blown away by either of them TBH

fizzwheel
30-12-09, 02:01 PM
The price of the I Phones are a joke and they don't seem to do anything better than any other smart phone.

Only if you insist on the latest 3GS phone.

I got my iphone free, I phoned up orange and told them I wanted an iphone but I didnt want to pay for the handset. I got an 8gb 3G iphone free, I had to get it on 24 month contract in order to do so, but not fussed about that as I am not planning on changing it. I tend to keep my phones for a while anyway and am not fussed about getting the latest shiny gadget.

I'm pretty sure at some point next year Vodaphone are going to start selling iphones, might be worth hanging on and seeing what you can get.

zsv650
30-12-09, 02:21 PM
but i love my nokia 5800
i dont it's sodding useless.:(

beabert
30-12-09, 02:34 PM
Im happy with my G1, i wanted a phone with a keyboard on, so i dont mind it being thicker. I would love a phone with XP on but they are huge.

L3nny
30-12-09, 02:40 PM
Only if you insist on the latest 3GS phone.

I got my iphone free, I phoned up orange and told them I wanted an iphone but I didnt want to pay for the handset. I got an 8gb 3G iphone free, I had to get it on 24 month contract in order to do so, but not fussed about that as I am not planning on changing it. I tend to keep my phones for a while anyway and am not fussed about getting the latest shiny gadget.

I'm pretty sure at some point next year Vodaphone are going to start selling iphones, might be worth hanging on and seeing what you can get.

For me to get an I phone I would need to go on at least a £35 a month contract for 24 months. If I want the 3Gs I would also need to pay £89 for the phone.

35x24= £840 + 89 = £929

Nearly £1000 for a friggin phone!!! Do me a favor. You can nearly get one of Apple's overpriced laptops for that.

I can get a HTC Tattoo for £25 a month for 12 months which works out at £300, still a lot though but a lot less for what essentially does exactly the same..

I know there are better deals to be had if you ring them up and give them the I am your best custome spiel but as the IPhone is still on pre order with Vodafone they aren't doing any yet.

amarko5
30-12-09, 03:05 PM
googles new nexus one is on the horizon hang on till at least the 5th jan to see what price they set on it :D

i recently got a HTC HD2 on 18 month contract £20pm with full internet and 100 mins and 100 texts phone cost £160 on that deal.

L3nny
30-12-09, 03:07 PM
googles new nexus one is on the horizon hang on till at least the 5th jan to see what price they set on it :D

i recently got a HTC HD2 on 18 month contract £20pm with full internet and 100 mins and 100 texts phone cost £160 on that deal.

Nice, was that on Voadfone?

I have heard about the Nexus, I expect it will be a lot more expensive than the Tatoo though.

amarko5
30-12-09, 03:14 PM
Nice, was that on Voadfone?

I have heard about the Nexus, I expect it will be a lot more expensive than the Tatoo though.

nope not on voda but on tmobile however there are deals to be had if you look hard enough might i suggest this company http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/Brands/HTC/b509/n443/p27241.aspx#tabsAnchor play about with all the tabs for deals as it defaults to only show a few (more expensive ones).

vodafone do the HTC HD2 but you have to barter with them and argue the toss its in the business section (because they are selling the iphone / hands tied deal, they were basically told if you want the iphone stop selling the HD2 ) although they wont admit that :smt112

L3nny
30-12-09, 03:17 PM
nope not on voda but on tmobile however there are deals to be had if you look hard enough might i suggest this company http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/Brands/HTC/b509/n443/p27241.aspx#tabsAnchor play about with all the tabs for deals as it defaults to only show a few (more expensive ones).

vodafone do the HTC HD2 but you have to barter with them and argue the toss its in the business section (because they are selling the iphone / hands tied deal, they were basically told if you want the iphone stop selling the HD2 ) although they wont admit that :smt112

Cheers mate, I had to go through the business section to get my current phone, seems that Windows Mobile isn't allowed to be for the general users.:rolleyes:

How do you rate the HD2, is it as big as it looks?

Cant get that link working though

amarko5
30-12-09, 03:27 PM
lenny its like any windows mobile you have to fiddle and play to get the best out of it.

phsically its a tad larger than my iphone about 5mm wider and 5mm taller but its 3mm thinner. the phone itself is excellent and the screen is to die for. getting the best out of it takes time and a visit to www.xda-developers.com forums (worth a look for anything HTC) very useful site. the beauty of HTC phones is they are very customisable if you dont mind flashing roms and fiddling in registry ETC, and currently they are working to get android on the HD2 (that would be the bees knees, should they manage it )

if you just dial in www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk and root around you will find the deals ohh and if you use them be very carefull to deselect phone insurance on the pay pages otherwise they will give you 3 months free and then charge you £6 a month for insurance.

El Saxo
30-12-09, 03:42 PM
lenny its like any windows mobile you have to fiddle and play to get the best out of it...
<snip>
...getting the best out of it takes time and a visit to www.xda-developers.com (http://www.xda-developers.com) forums (worth a look for anything HTC) very useful site. the beauty of HTC phones is they are very customisable if you dont mind flashing roms and fiddling in registry ETC.

+1 the xda-dev forums are brilliant!

I've got a HTC Touch Diamond 2 running a custom ROM which is pretty much the same as the HD2. I've got it running everthing I want including SatNav & OS Mapping software which comes in handy when I'm mountain biking. Windows Mobile (or Windows Phone as they're calling it now) is a great mobile OS if you are prepared to tinker, I'm on my 5th different WinMo device now (started with the first XDA).

L3nny
30-12-09, 03:49 PM
Cheers guys, think I might give Vodafone a call and see what deal they can do on a HD2.

EL Saxo - What software do you use for navigating when Mountain Biking? I want some kind of GPS device for when I go walking, spent most of boxing day lost in the Warwickshire countryside :(

El Saxo
30-12-09, 03:58 PM
EL Saxo - What software do you use for navigating when Mountain Biking? I want some kind of GPS device for when I go walking, spent most of boxing day lost in the Warwickshire countryside :(

It's called Memory Map - Linky (http://www.memory-map.co.uk/). It's a desktop application first and foremost (you can view OS maps, plan waypoints & use a GPS dongle to create tracklogs etc) but you can also install a smaller mobile version of the client to a Windows Mobile device and it uses GPS to show & track your position on the map.

I've also used it to Navigate byways on Salisbury Plain when I went off-roading with Stretchie in his Discovery :D

L3nny
30-12-09, 04:02 PM
Sweet :D

BTW do you know if the HTC HD2 supports internet sharing like my current phone does?

amarko5
30-12-09, 04:16 PM
it has a wifi server built in just select it set up an adhoc to your lappy and you can surf at 7.2k hspda (if its available where u live )

L3nny
30-12-09, 04:19 PM
OK, just called Vodafone, apparently they had to send all their stock of HD2s back because there was a software problem affecting the camera and they no longer sell them. :eek:

Back to square 1 now :(

amarko5
30-12-09, 04:25 PM
thought you might get all that bull**** , there was a pink tinge on some cameras but there was a hotfix downloadable from htc to correct it. although vodafone seem to have fallen out of love with HTC since getting the iphone contract.

it totally depends whom you speak to as to wether you can get one or not.

try reading the vodafone threads on XDA forums under the section Leo (codename of the HD2 )

L3nny
30-12-09, 04:36 PM
Sounds like Apple have told Vodafone to stop selling the HD2 as it is a direct competitor with the IPhone.

Looks like a switch to T-Mobile is in order.

Cheers for all the help fellas.

El Saxo
30-12-09, 06:02 PM
Looks like a switch to T-Mobile is in order...

I implore you not to do this! The reception on T-Mobile is shockingly bad in places where I used to get good coverage on O2/Orange. The data coverage is just as bad too, I get sod-all 3G/HSDPA coverage in most places except Manchester city centre which is a real PITA if you want to use lots of internet / push email / other data-heavy services etc on whichever handset you get. They also use a proxy for their mobile internet which can stop you using things like YouTube on your mobile.

Basically, the worst network I have ever been with!! (I have used all of the 'big 4' at some point or other - this is the first time I have used T-Mo and I will be going back to O2/Orange when my contract runs out.)

L3nny
30-12-09, 06:06 PM
Oh okay, better hope I can get a HTC HD2 from a Vodafone shop then

El Saxo
30-12-09, 06:17 PM
Oh okay, better hope I can get a HTC HD2 from a Vodafone shop then

Try mobilephonesdirect.co.uk (http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/Brands/HTC/b509/n447/p27241.aspx) - it looks like they have the HD2 on T-Mo and Vodafone and they're even giving a free 2GB memory card with it at the moment.

I got my TD2 from them and it arrived the next day, pretty impressed with their service.

L3nny
30-12-09, 07:42 PM
I'll give em a call in the morning, dont really want to change my number

phil24_7
30-12-09, 08:30 PM
Any news on which networks the HTC/Google Nexus One will be on?

amarko5
30-12-09, 10:39 PM
I implore you not to do this! The reception on T-Mobile is shockingly bad in places where I used to get good coverage on O2/Orange. The data coverage is just as bad too, I get sod-all 3G/HSDPA coverage in most places except Manchester city centre which is a real PITA if you want to use lots of internet / push email / other data-heavy services etc on whichever handset you get. They also use a proxy for their mobile internet which can stop you using things like YouTube on your mobile.

Basically, the worst network I have ever been with!! (I have used all of the 'big 4' at some point or other - this is the first time I have used T-Mo and I will be going back to O2/Orange when my contract runs out.)

I could not disagree more with your sentiments !! horses for courses as o2 and voda are both rubbish up here and tmobile is excellent (also tmobile and orange are merging soon so should be even better)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/networking/news/2009/11/09/Orange---T-Mobile-Merger-Finalised/p1

amarko5
30-12-09, 10:41 PM
Any news on which networks the HTC/Google Nexus One will be on?

unlocked sim free as i believe so it will be expensive per say.. however tmobile is going to be doing contract cards for them in the US.

the 5th jan is supposed to be googles big release day so read the tech news on the 5th / 6th for more info

amarko5
30-12-09, 10:58 PM
BTW tmobile coverage looks pretty good for warwick http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/coverage/street-check/

amarko5
30-12-09, 11:01 PM
They also use a proxy for their mobile internet which can stop you using things like YouTube on your mobile.

just delete the proxy setting i did :rolleyes: ohh and if you get the phone from mobile ph direct it will be sim free vanilla handset not tied to a provider so you get all the features (tmobile supplied ones from their shop have a somewhat crippled rom with bits missing) so be careful what you get.:smt101

El Saxo
31-12-09, 03:52 PM
just delete the proxy setting i did :rolleyes:

I did that, but I shouldn't have had to in the first place really. I still stand by my comments about T-Mo - in my personal experience they are the worst of the networks when compared to Voda, O2 & Orange.

FWIW, O2 have been the best I have used so far, with Orange a close second (based mostly on use in & around Wigan, Manchester and Bristol). Interesting stuff about the merger though, hopefully things might improve. :D

I agree with what Mark says about getting an unbranded 'vanilla' handset, the operator-specific ROMs often have useful features disabled and other, less useful, stuff added which slows them down or makes them buggy.