PDA

View Full Version : Still not got my blinkin licence back!!

thedonal
03-03-10, 08:57 PM
Surrendered it on 22nd dec and paid the fine online.

Was told 6-8 weeks by the officer at the station.

A bit outside that so would like to enquire as to it's whereabouts.

Except- all that's on the HMCS is a POSTAL address to write to.

POSTAL ADDRESS!!! I mean- come on. Make it as hard as possible!

I've emailed HMCS about it, but I'm not holding out...

POSTAL ADDRESS!

Cuh!

Thingus
03-03-10, 09:51 PM
You kept the paper copy for when they fk it up and re-issue you one with a picture of a bus and a truck instead of the bike yeh?

thedonal
03-03-10, 10:13 PM
I've got the police speeding ticket- was told this is my licence until I get it back. So at least I've got proof I gave it in- I'm certainly not paying for another one if they've lost it...

Postal enquiry address!! I mean....!

Stu
03-03-10, 10:20 PM
paid the fine online.

Oooh linky please ;)

I completely lost my ticket when I went to photocopy it for safe keeping :roll: oh the irony!

but I do now know the number of the ticket.

Quiff Wichard
03-03-10, 10:22 PM
they lost mine when I handed it in for points added.. !

me had to get the police pay for a new one.. what a lot of trouble that was !

thedonal
04-03-10, 09:30 AM

Looks like I may be doing the same.

DVLA have confirmed that HMCS central accounting have not notified them of the points going on to my licence. So it hasn't even got that far. IN TWO MONTHS!

It seems absurdly difficult to contact someone at HMCS about this. Though chatting to my boss (who is a magistrate), she is completely unsurprised.

STU- www.caofp.latestinfo.co.uk (http://www.caofp.latestinfo.co.uk)

thedonal
04-03-10, 10:03 AM

By the way,

What hoops did you have to jump through to get the police to pay for it? Assuming they did in the end? Just so's I'm prepared for the worst.

Stu
04-03-10, 01:27 PM
Looks like I may be doing the same.

DVLA have confirmed that HMCS central accounting have not notified them of the points going on to my licence. So it hasn't even got that far. IN TWO MONTHS!

It seems absurdly difficult to contact someone at HMCS about this. Though chatting to my boss (who is a magistrate), she is completely unsurprised.

STU- www.caofp.latestinfo.co.uk (http://www.caofp.latestinfo.co.uk)
Thanks, but for once it wasn't my friends at the Met Police :thumbsup:
but the Bu@@ers at Surrey that had nothing better to do :mad:

Thanks anyway.

So, anychance you'll get a licence back w/out anymore points? :-dd

thedonal
04-03-10, 02:39 PM
I am privately hoping that!!

thedonal
04-03-10, 06:09 PM
So. The police are adamant that it's impossible for my licence to go missing because it goes in their post (good logic there I thought). I was given a number to call at the fixed penalty office as the 'provisional licence' I have in the form of a speeding ticket has expired (they're only valid for 2 months!).

So now, I guess I'll try them before having to write to the office.

This country really is a f@cking joke, isn't it.

TimTucker
04-03-10, 08:52 PM
I think the DVLA are completely swamped at the moment. When I got pulled at the start of November last year, it took the best of part of six weeks to get my licence back, I'm sure. I'd done what you did, too: paid the fine online.

The best part of it, though, was when I did get my licence back, the counterpart had the fixed penalty details written on it by hand. Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that the system is working, does it?

Stu
04-03-10, 09:01 PM
yEAH i ALWAYS GET MINE WRITTEN BY HAND. 8) I don't think "fill you with confidence" is the phrase you are looking for, more ""hold out hope" that they're not recorded :lol:

(I thought all caps self corrected, sorry)

thedonal
04-03-10, 09:16 PM
I think the DVLA are completely swamped at the moment. When I got pulled at the start of November last year, it took the best of part of six weeks to get my licence back, I'm sure. I'd done what you did, too: paid the fine online.

The best part of it, though, was when I did get my licence back, the counterpart had the fixed penalty details written on it by hand. Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that the system is working, does it?

It's not the DVLA though.

From my conversation today, the police send it to the central accounts office fixed penalty scheme dept of Her Majesty's Court Service (HMCS)*. They will then electronically notify the DVLA that they've processed the penalty (ie that they've added 3 points to your licence). They then carefully handwrite it on the counterpart and post it back to you (hopefully).

Sadly, as is my experience with the MHRA, being able to read and write in the civil service (let alone understand) is classed as overqualified.

My boss is a magistrate. She told me about how appalingly under-funded the court system is.

All the fixed penalty does is help pay for politicians' duck pond features. It's all a load of blox really...

* and the only way you can apparently chase your licence is by WRITING to the "officer in charge" at the HMCS fixed penalty dept.

It's like trying to talk to the f@cking nineteen seventies. It's 2010 for Christ's sake. They must get so many of these (clearly making someone rich). Why can't they make communication easy and useful?

thedonal
05-03-10, 11:38 AM
So, anychance you'll get a licence back w/out anymore points? :-dd

You're not going to believe this.....

I'm still pinching myself.

JamesMio
05-03-10, 11:56 AM
Seriously...?

Nice work my friend, nice work indeed!

thedonal
05-03-10, 12:06 PM
The court has refunded the fine as well (apparently, they can't accept payment if the ticket is not processed by the traffic dept)

Needless to say, once I get it back, I'll be checking with the DVLA to see how many points they think I've got. Because this sort of luck seems to be a rarity at the moment!

Then I'll be on the phone to the insurance about the extra 35 I paid when I informed them of the 3 points. Somehow, though, I've a feeling that this won't go so well!!

It really is a challenge to get through to a speaking human being though- I had to go to one of the other teams first to be put through to the right team. Just options and messages and options and messages...