PDA

View Full Version : SK5 - Query re top speed and restriction

Dizeee
20-03-10, 12:09 AM
My SK5 is an 05 and very clean, as far as I know standard apart from a Fuel Race can (Without baffle ;) bang!)

Anyway, top end, which is something I rarely venture towards is alledgely 140mph right?

My mate has the same bike and is as experienced / sensible as me and says he has got up to 135 with "much more to go".

On my private track I have got to 110 - maybe 115 and I a not convinced there is that much more to go. I must add, speed on a bike is fairly fresh to me, so I do ride with caution and I am easing off around 100mph.

Today I reached 100mph in last gear - 6th I believe - and noted my revs. They were bang on 7.5k at a reading of 99 / 100mph. Is my bike normal, is this the norm?

I don't believe the bike is restricted as it is a stormer to 60mph, seconds literally. I read that some SV's are restricted though. Also whats the output of an SK5 at the rear wheel - 70bhp? Is that all? Doubt with the ooomph I seem to have that is the case, I would put it at circa 85bhp...

(Experienced performance car driver FWIW)

All help and advice appreciated and bowed to :)

Sally
20-03-10, 12:12 AM
~69 claimed.

Dizeee
20-03-10, 12:38 AM
~69 claimed.

Dont geddit...

Dizeee
20-03-10, 12:40 AM
If it helps, a pic of my steed!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f155/jamesdennis556/Suzuki%20SV%20650%20S/DSCI0070.jpg

Sally
20-03-10, 01:03 AM
SV 650 S 2005
Overall Length: 2,080 mm (81.9 in)
Overall Width: 745 mm (29.3 in)
Overall Height: 1,085 mm (42.7 in)
Seat Height: 800 mm (31.5 in)
Wheel Base: 1,440 mm (56.7 in)
Ground Clearance: 150 mm (5.9 in)
Dry Weight: 165 kg (363 lbs)
Engine type: Liquid-cooled 645 cc v-twin DOHC, 8 valves. 72 hp (53 kW)/ 9,000 rpm, 84 Nm/ 7,200 rpm.

Stu
20-03-10, 02:16 AM
Dizeee, yours is restricted to 33 bhp, come round and borrow my unrestricted ECU if you don't believe me. I'll show you the different code on it & everything.

serious offer.

barwel1992
20-03-10, 02:36 AM
what would be printed/ molded on the ecu if its 33bhp ?

yorkie_chris
20-03-10, 09:27 AM
Nothing in particular just a different part number.

Top speed recorded by accurate means is apparently just shy of 130. The stock speedo overreads like hell.

Dizeee
20-03-10, 02:13 PM
No way, it cant be 33bhp? It is too quick for that... Also I bought it from a dealer as an unrestricted SV so how can it be restricted? Also I have been out on rides with bigger bikes and kept up in a straight line over long distances with ease...???

RichT
20-03-10, 03:44 PM
On my private runway I've seen over 130mph on my unrestricted SV (132 to be precise. 56 plate). I'm 13.5st.

Holdup
20-03-10, 06:18 PM
All these people who own private run ways....

.... You must have some $$$$

Spikenipple
20-03-10, 06:35 PM
I had 145mph on the clocks of my SV on my private replica of the M5 the other week. When my bike was restricted the quickest I went on it was about 95mph.

L3nny
20-03-10, 06:55 PM
On the German Autobahn I had an indicated 133 out of my k5 so in real life that was probably about 125 it may have gone a bit faster bit that was fast enough for me.

Stu
20-03-10, 08:02 PM
No way, it cant be 33bhp? It is too quick for that... Also I bought it from a dealer as an unrestricted SV so how can it be restricted? Also I have been out on rides with bigger bikes and kept up in a straight line over long distances with ease...???
Indicated 115 is perfectly possible from 33bhp

dealers, like they know anything ;)

barwel1992
20-03-10, 09:59 PM
on my privat run way with the other ecu in i got a indicated 115mph but thats suposed to be the unrestricted one ? i am 17.5 stone with gear thogh

some one know where to get the 33bhp ecu part number ?

Dizeee
21-03-10, 02:13 AM
Indicated 115 is perfectly possible from 33bhp

dealers, like they know anything ;)

But I get to 60 on around 3 seconds when I wind it up....

I can drop down a gear on a motorway and leave others for dust etc

The bike is loud, proper burble, and with my exhaust it bangs and spits etc

33bhp? No way is my bike putting that out. From what I have done with it it just can't be, far far too quick.

So as I said, last gear at 7.5k revs what speed you at? 100 ish? I know I can do more than 110 but as I said, I choose not to twist anymore as I am still a fresh/new rider, the bike has it to give, I just choose not to ask it.

TazDaz
21-03-10, 08:37 AM
So as I said, last gear at 7.5k revs what speed you at? 100 ish? I know I can do more than 110 but as I said, I choose not to twist anymore as I am still a fresh/new rider, the bike has it to give, I just choose not to ask it.

Sounds about right. My bike does the same speed at X revs when its both restricted or not, and its perfectly capable of indicating 115mph in 33bhp mode.

G
21-03-10, 09:00 AM
If your a new inexperienced rider anything will feel rediculously fast... Even if you have lots of experience in fast cars.

If stu has seen the bike/ecu and knows the factual difference in ecu's... And says yours is a restricted ecu... Then really it must be. Regardless of how fast yours feels.

paiste
21-03-10, 10:08 AM
If your a new inexperienced rider anything will feel rediculously fast... Even if you have lots of experience in fast cars.

If stu has seen the bike/ecu and knows the factual difference in ecu's... And says yours is a restricted ecu... Then really it must be. Regardless of how fast yours feels.

+1

From what I've heard and it's not from experience as I went straight to full power, a restricted Sv is pretty much as fast up to about 80 mph as a full power. But as G says even if you have driven some fairly tasty cars, it's a whole new feeling on a bike when you crank open the throttle :p
Anyway keep up the sensible top speed on the private runway and enjoy riding and the SV :D

TazDaz
21-03-10, 10:14 AM
a restricted Sv is pretty much as fast up to about 80 mph as a full power.

Its not,,,I don't know who started that fairytale!!! :)

Dizeee
21-03-10, 10:45 AM

Nobody has seen the bike or it's ECU, I just queried it as I was finding that the bike seemed to be running out of steam at over 100 mph. It has got up to 110 and I think 115 once, but I have not gone any faster. But I have not TRIED to go any faster, thats the point.

I can't get my head round this, nor do I really think it is 33bhp. It only had one owner from new which was a chap who kept it in immaculate condition and serviced it himself etc. Why would he restrict it?

Like I say, it is as quick as any other bike and with the aftermarket can it is one of the louder bikes out there. I am going to take it back to the dealer to get a definitive answer, but as I say, it's can't be due to the way it rides.

If anyone wants to take it out for a ride to give me their opinion feel free, I live on Pirbright bends ;)

Dizeee
21-03-10, 10:49 AM
Is there a definitive test I can do which will give the answer? Can I post a video up of me taking off on the bike? What will solve the riddle?

TazDaz
21-03-10, 10:56 AM
Definitive way is to see if you have decent pulling power between 7k and 9k rpm. If its restricted the revs take longer to get there as at about 6k the rate of rev increase slows, where as full power lets it rev more freely.

Try and get to 10k rpm in 2nd or 3rd. If you can it is not restricted.

Seggons
21-03-10, 10:57 AM
The only real way of finding out is to pin the throttle and see what speed you get. ~115 is restricted territory, 120+ is unrestricted. Up to 70mph there's not really any noticeable difference between the 2.

Or do TazDaz's way. :D

simesb
21-03-10, 11:04 AM
some one know where to get the 33bhp ecu part number ?

32920-17G10 - printed on the ECU.

Whip the seat off, and have a squint - it will be fairly obvious.

TazDaz
21-03-10, 11:11 AM

It changes from year to year I think. My restricted ECU has a difference part number to that one.

yorkie_chris
21-03-10, 11:15 AM
Changed in K7 along with twin plug head.

MattCollins
21-03-10, 04:50 PM
Something that has had me wondering is the difference between the restricted and unrestricted ECUs and how Suzuki restricts the SV.
At a glance restriction via the secondary throttle (SDTV?) map might seem the logical choice, but perhaps that would be too easy.

Has anyone with a restricted bike messed with this? ie disabling SDTV.

diamond
21-03-10, 05:00 PM
Could the guy that owned it before have changed the sprocket, that would make it quick away from the lights but slightly lower top end.

barwel1992
21-03-10, 06:44 PM

ok not much on the ecu, and nothing that looks like those numbers so i can be prety sure thats its a unrestricted ecu but can only get 115mph out of it with that in :| on my run way

hmm will try again when i get my new air filter

ok was on royners and the fiche shows the modle number for my bike but cant find it on the ecu at all :/

yorkie_chris
21-03-10, 07:03 PM
Something that has had me wondering is the difference between the restricted and unrestricted ECUs and how Suzuki restricts the SV.
At a glance restriction via the secondary throttle (SDTV?) map might seem the logical choice, but perhaps that would be too easy.

Has anyone with a restricted bike messed with this? ie disabling SDTV.

Surely it would still be mapped to deliver the correct fuel for say half open SDTV so even if you wired the SDTV full open or removed the butterflies it would run lean as hell?

simesb
21-03-10, 07:05 PM
ok was on royners and the fiche shows the modle number for my bike but cant find it on the ecu at all :/

My bad - I gave the part no.

think MGT060 is on the full power, and MGT061 on the restricted.

Dizeee
21-03-10, 07:14 PM
Definitive way is to see if you have decent pulling power between 7k and 9k rpm. If its restricted the revs take longer to get there as at about 6k the rate of rev increase slows, where as full power lets it rev more freely.

I have torque low down and as the revs rise the bike accelerates quicker and quicker. I can add 30 mph on to my speed at 40mph in a couple of seconds at high revs (7k and above).

I have been out today on the bike all day with a friend who has an identical bike - 05 SK5. I was chatting about this with him and we were both describing our bikes. My bike will go beyond 115mph, just rate of acceleration slows down quite considerably.

There is no way on this earth that my bike is producing 33bhp, it's an impossiblty because of how it goes.

yorkie_chris
21-03-10, 07:15 PM
Could the guy that owned it before have changed the sprocket, that would make it quick away from the lights but slightly lower top end.

Sounds like bike is running out of puff though, lower gearing only reduces top speed if you are hitting the rev limiter in 6th.

Dizeee
21-03-10, 07:15 PM

10k revs in 2nd or 3rd? I have hit the redline on these gears before (13/14k isnt it?).

yorkie_chris
21-03-10, 07:16 PM
No you haven't, rev limiter kicks in at 10,200rpm :)

Dizeee
21-03-10, 07:18 PM
Well I have certainly seen the needle sweep over to the red side and the bike screams at this rev range.

yorkie_chris
21-03-10, 07:22 PM
Screaming like you hit a rev limiter or something? :-P
Your mate BS'es about there being "much more to go" above 135mph. Pointy has 70bhp, 72 if you put full system and air filter on one.
Yes the acceleration is reduced above about 115mph.

If you still think yours is particularly short of poke, swap bikes with your mate and see what his does.

TazDaz
21-03-10, 07:25 PM
10k revs in 2nd or 3rd? I have hit the redline on these gears before (13/14k isnt it?).

Well it won't do 13/14k rpm, but if you can swiftly get above 9k revs in 2nd or 3rd then your bike is not restricted.

fizzwheel
21-03-10, 07:39 PM
My bike will go beyond 115mph, just rate of acceleration slows down quite considerably.

For an SV, In my experience thats quite normal.

amnesia
21-03-10, 08:14 PM
You could always dyno it instead of relying on anecdotal evidence.

Mine (K6) was dyno'd at about 68/69 bhp.

Dizeee
21-03-10, 08:16 PM
Screaming like you hit a rev limiter or something? :-P
Your mate BS'es about there being "much more to go" above 135mph. Pointy has 70bhp, 72 if you put full system and air filter on one.
Yes the acceleration is reduced above about 115mph.

If you still think yours is particularly short of poke, swap bikes with your mate and see what his does.

He said he had an indicated 135 out of it and although it was slowing up there was a little left to go. I know how mine feels at 115 and I doubt I could hit 135. Luckily we both are regulars at track days so have the opportunity to reach these speeds.

Neither of us are bothered by speed, going really fast or anything like that, it was just he mentioned that he had hit that speed and it made me think about my bikes capabilities.

MattCollins
21-03-10, 09:03 PM
Surely it would still be mapped to deliver the correct fuel for say half open SDTV so even if you wired the SDTV full open or removed the butterflies it would run lean as hell?

Maybe. I think it is dependant on exactly where IAP is being measured. If air pressure is measured downstream of the throttle plates then those secondary plates shouldn't matter to mixtures. They might as well be the main throttle plates and there would be no reason to change the ignition/injector map except perhaps to prevent circumvention. It is just the SDTV map that needs to be changed.

If IAP was measured anywhere else then it would matter, but SDTV is sometimes disabled on full power bikes to de-limit it (seems to be more of a DL thing) in the bottom end and lower gears and on the DLk for top speed without upsetting mixtures except at the bottom end - that could have something to do with IAP sensor response at high manifold pressures.

I have no idea, but hopefully you see what prompted my earlier question.

jacksuzukisv650
21-03-10, 09:33 PM
well mine is a k6 15000 miles myns 33bhp and myn will get 115mph with a good winding it up but takes foreva to get theere i am 11stone myns completly standard

yorkie_chris
21-03-10, 09:36 PM
Maybe. I think it is dependant on exactly where IAP is being measured. If air pressure is measured downstream of the throttle plates then those secondary plates shouldn't matter to mixtures. They might as well be the main throttle plates and there would be no reason to change the ignition/injector map except perhaps to prevent circumvention. It is just the SDTV map that needs to be changed.

If IAP was measured anywhere else then it would matter, but SDTV is sometimes disabled on full power bikes to de-limit it (seems to be more of a DL thing) in the bottom end and lower gears and on the DLk for top speed without upsetting mixtures except at the bottom end - that could have something to do with IAP sensor response at high manifold pressures.

I have no idea, but hopefully you see what prompted my earlier question.

I see exactly what you mean, some of the racers disable the SDTV entirely, someone is making a "box" to fool the ECU into thinking the SDTV is present so it can be removed. Normally they remove the butterflies entirely but leave the spindles.

Girth
21-03-10, 09:45 PM
What actually is the point of this thread?

The only way to tell if you bike is restricted is to top it out, but you don't seemed to be bothered about speed anyway so whats the biggie?

Dizeee
21-03-10, 10:01 PM
well mine is a k6 15000 miles myns 33bhp and myn will get 115mph with a good winding it up but takes foreva to get theere i am 11stone myns completly standard

I will be at 100 from standstill in a matter of seconds - so that must be good news.

Dizeee
21-03-10, 10:02 PM
What actually is the point of this thread?

The only way to tell if you bike is restricted is to top it out, but you don't seemed to be bothered about speed anyway so whats the biggie?

I dont want a restricted bike, so want to make sure it is unrestricted. My friends comments regarding his top end made me think about the bike, and having posted up it hs gone from there.

tommo891
21-03-10, 10:59 PM
so what is the top speed of a resricted and unrestricted sv.........my bike gets to 115 in no time then slows alittle while it gets to 125, theres still something left, just waiting for a nicer day (and a bigger set of kahonars), oh yeah all this happens on my private track, wink wink

yorkie_chris
21-03-10, 11:05 PM
I've had 135 indicated on my naked one. You should get 140 indicated on the fairy ones.

Restricted most I ever saw was just under 100, mostly 95 though, and I would generally crawl under the paint on the tank and try that daily!

tommo891
21-03-10, 11:19 PM
dam ive got another 15mph sweeeeeeet.....so will a restricted bike keep up with a unristricted up to a tun...?

barwel1992
21-03-10, 11:27 PM
I've had 135 indicated on my naked one. You should get 140 indicated on the fairy ones.

Restricted most I ever saw was just under 100, mostly 95 though, and I would generally crawl under the paint on the tank and try that daily!

you might get 140mph if you cleaned it YC :D

TazDaz
22-03-10, 07:54 AM
dam ive got another 15mph sweeeeeeet.....so will a restricted bike keep up with a unristricted up to a tun...?

No.

yorkie_chris
22-03-10, 11:50 AM
you might get 140mph if you cleaned it YC :D

That was 2 up, I dunno why though as having a 120-70 on front should make it read lower. It was on a lonnnng slightly downhill bit up Glencoe though!

Maybe on my own it would crack 140, but I've no interest in doing so. I've got the SRAD if I want ridiculous top speeds.

barwel1992
22-03-10, 11:17 PM
^ not bad, but there again ure's is tuned a fair bit :D

muzza_sv
01-05-11, 02:20 PM
I had 145 from my k5 but Itl fully faired

barwel1992
02-05-11, 09:02 AM
^ more like actual 130mph

talk about thread resurrection

mine will do a true 126mph at 10k in 6th (down geared)