PDA

View Full Version : Gear change problem

Geodude
20-03-10, 10:06 AM
Every now and then i have a problem changing up from 1st to 2nd, it seems to take a huge effort to do so and only as i say from 1st to 2nd? Usually when this happens i pull over and rev the bike quite high then set off again and all is normal. Any ideas guys

Alpinestarhero
20-03-10, 10:16 AM
How many miles? Have you got the clutch properly adjusted and the chain tension corrected? Try this first geodude

Do you find it hard to select neutral when the engine has got hot in traffic?

I had this problem....my dad diagnosed it as worn clutch plates, I'd been faffing about adjusting the clutch and chain tnesion but to no avail. I'm not gonna say this is your problem though because it may well (and easly could not) be

Geodude
20-03-10, 10:35 AM
Mileage around 36k and yes neutral can be a pain to find at times, ive done the usual clutch adjustment (both ends) but havent looked at the clutch plates yet, sounds like it may be worth a look.

fizzwheel
20-03-10, 10:47 AM
Chain Tension, Clutch adjustment, and check your oil level.

Try the simple stuff first before you start taking things apart.

Alpinestarhero
20-03-10, 02:09 PM
One thing else I should have mentioned too, a simple one and I kickedmyself for it on the train when i thought of it

just check your gear lever isnt stiff to move, you can take it off and give it a gooood clean and grease-up

JonnyBateman
20-03-10, 07:20 PM
Had the same problem and I'd just over-filled the oil slightly. Daft really. Just drained a bit off and it was fine.

Stuuk1
20-03-10, 07:24 PM
How many miles? Have you got the clutch properly adjusted and the chain tension corrected? Try this first geodude

Do you find it hard to select neutral when the engine has got hot in traffic?

I had this problem....my dad diagnosed it as worn clutch plates, I'd been faffing about adjusting the clutch and chain tnesion but to no avail. I'm not gonna say this is your problem though because it may well (and easly could not) be

Go on, tell him about the worm drive... You know you want to!

Sid Squid
21-03-10, 03:58 PM
Echo the advice above, particularly clutch adjustment.

Slacken off cable adjusters at top and bottom, loosen lifter locknut, back out screw a bit, ensure that lifter arm is as far down as it will go, gently turn screw in until it contacts pushrod, back it out a bit, (~1/8th of a turn), then nip up the locknut, roughly adjust cable with lower adjuster - not too tight - then with top adjuster ensure that there remains a little slack all the way from lock to lock.

muzikill
25-05-12, 12:07 PM
Im getting a bit of this just now, and in the process of an oil change. I bet that sorts it out. Great advice so far btw.

jambo
25-05-12, 12:11 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROxAYo-gagOhapIlJzZT21CVTzvpPQfwAkziU2IO6Cyvr8sA1c6w

So far? :D

muzikill
25-05-12, 02:01 PM
Tbh honest I could have bumped this thread. All I wanted to do was make it easy to find on the phone using tapatalk when im in the garage. But I grateful for the correction. :p

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mark_h
25-05-12, 02:10 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROxAYo-gagOhapIlJzZT21CVTzvpPQfwAkziU2IO6Cyvr8sA1c6w

So far? :D

I don't know. Usually berate folks for not using the search and when they do they get picked up for digging up an old thread. Shocking :)

Time to ask if an R6 throttle tube makes my bike accelerate better or gets more miles to the tank.

SoulKiss
25-05-12, 02:18 PM
I don't know. Usually berate folks for not using the search and when they do they get picked up for digging up an old thread. Shocking :)

Time to ask if an R6 throttle tube makes my bike accelerate better or gets more miles to the tank.

ONly if you have a Honda Reg/Rec fitted

Mark_h
25-05-12, 02:26 PM
ONly if you have a Honda Reg/Rec fitted

Well obviously you need a Honda Reg/Rec otherwise how you going to fit a Gixer front-end?

Geodude
26-05-12, 08:26 AM
Just for your reference muzi i got the problem sorted by doing an oil change, the sid squid clutch adjustment and in the end new clutch plates and steel's (if thats what they're called)

muzikill
27-05-12, 08:49 AM
Just for your reference muzi i got the problem sorted by doing an oil change, the sid squid clutch adjustment and in the end new clutch plates and steel's (if thats what they're called)

Oil change done - slightly better. (may have overfilled it - again!)
Clutch adjustment - today.
Clutch lever sticky - possibly
New clutch cable - possibly
New clutch - hope not !

SBG
23-07-12, 07:53 PM
Hum I am having this when its warm - cannot come back from 1st to netural have to go into second then knock it back down. I thought it was me just being a newbie!

muzikill
24-07-12, 02:11 PM
Oil change (to a level just below full), clutch adjustment, clean behind the clutch cover, chain adjustment clean & oil, rear wheel alignment & a read of the manual to make sure i was changing the gears at the right revs sorted all my probs out. No new clutch was necessary.

These k3's huh?

Sid Squid
24-07-12, 11:15 PM
Adjust the clutch - difficulty changing gears is a very common symptom of a dragging clutch.

SBG
28-07-12, 07:00 PM
Yep played with the clutch cable - sorted ;)

Geodude
29-07-12, 08:20 AM
Glad you got it sorted SBG :)