PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Clunk?

Rammsteinkid
21-03-10, 03:05 PM
Hey all, ive been out cleaning the chain, relubing and engine idle adjustment. two questions, i cleaned the chain on the paddock stand, is the chain suppose to jump about when i let the rear whel spin in first or is this a need of adjustment?

secondly, i get a werid clunk sound from the front cylinder(i think), happens now and again for the past month. but on the stand it was a bit more frequent and ideas?im a mechanic noob, garage job or not? Was thinking about getting a service too.
k3 pointy, blue obv.

tommo891
21-03-10, 03:13 PM
if your anything like me totally unmechanical, sod doing it yourself and get a garage to do it (funds permitting), or hold out and wait for a real answer..druid and alpinestarhero seem to know what there talking about might be worth sending pm to them..

tommo

Specialone
21-03-10, 03:32 PM
Mine does exactly the same while on the paddock stand, but the tension on the chain seems fine when off it.
I think its something to do with the stand compressing the suspension a bit, but not sure.
I wouldnt worry unless the chain tension is loose while on the side stand.
Not sure about the clunking tbh, more qualified people will probably help with that one.

Phil

Sid Squid
21-03-10, 03:44 PM
It's nothing to be concerned about. The chain isn't under constant tension as the power pulses from the engine, particularly at low engine speed, don't pull the chain evenly. Consequently the wheel speeds up and slows down as the load on is very light.
The effect is more apparent when the chain is loose, but doesn't necessarily mean it needs adjustment.

Wideboy
21-03-10, 03:44 PM
chain thrashes as there no load on the rear wheel, should be loose'ish as obviously when you sit on the the rear shock will compress causing the chain to tighten plus when you hit bumps ect the slack will be taken up, if its to tight when you hit a bump the chain will pull to tight and you'll do some horrific damage to the gearbox :?

no idea on the clunk, anymore info?

edit: beaten to it :lol:

boot
21-03-10, 04:16 PM
i cleaned the chain on the paddock stand, is the chain suppose to jump about when i let the rear whel spin in first or is this a need of adjustment?

Sounds like a good way to gain some flesh damage.

Rammsteinkid
21-03-10, 05:30 PM
Sounds like a good way to gain some flesh damage.

Not that stupid, just to get the excess water off when i cleaned it up. :)