PDA

View Full Version : Front sprocket nut

7755matt
21-03-10, 05:01 PM
I had the front sprocket nut come loose on me twice in teh past, on one occasion leading to a rapid loss of oil onto my rear tyre.

To stop it happening again (hopefully) I applied a dollop of Loctite to the threads. I am now suffering the consequences.

I need to get the sprocket off to replace chain and sprockets, but I cant get the bloomin thing off. Ive had a bit of 3x2" wedged in between wheel and swingarm and a 3 foot breaker bar with a bit of tube over the top (about 4' in all) and it will not budge.

Any suggestions? Or will I need to wait for the garage to open tomorrow and borrow the windy gun???

maviczap
21-03-10, 05:03 PM
Bit of heat and penetrating oil?

maviczap
21-03-10, 05:04 PM
Did you have the locking tab washer? If so, dodn't forget to bend the tab back

7755matt
21-03-10, 05:10 PM
I did get the tab washer bit out of the way, although it never seems to make much contact. I'll see if I can find my blow torch later

maviczap
21-03-10, 05:31 PM
Make sure the tab is right out of the way, otherwise if a bit of heat and penetrating oil doesn't help, you might need one of those air impact wrenches :(

the_lone_wolf
21-03-10, 05:40 PM
Are you sure the thread is handed the way you think it is?;)

maviczap
21-03-10, 05:42 PM
Sv front sprocket nut is normal threaded.

yorkie_chris
21-03-10, 07:13 PM
Yes it is normal handed.

Get a fat mate to stand on the back brake and use a longer bar. Or try the rattle gun.

TSM
21-03-10, 07:16 PM
I had the front sprocket nut come loose on me twice in teh past, on one occasion leading to a rapid loss of oil onto my rear tyre.

To stop it happening again (hopefully) I applied a dollop of Loctite to the threads. I am now suffering the consequences.

I need to get the sprocket off to replace chain and sprockets, but I cant get the bloomin thing off. Ive had a bit of 3x2" wedged in between wheel and swingarm and a 3 foot breaker bar with a bit of tube over the top (about 4' in all) and it will not budge.

Any suggestions? Or will I need to wait for the garage to open tomorrow and borrow the windy gun???

was there a lock washer there or was it missing in the firstplace?

Sid Squid
21-03-10, 07:17 PM
Rattle gun - the only relaible way.

maviczap
21-03-10, 07:19 PM
Rattle gun - the only relaible way.

Unless you have a torque multiplier (not many folk do) & a dangerous beast mind :smt027

7755matt
21-03-10, 08:43 PM
There is the lock/tab washer that only just comes up slightly. Thats out of the way. I think I may have been a bit slap happy with the loctite. I'll be waiting for my mate to open the garage first thing tomorrow. He hsould have a big enough windy. Failing that its the truck mechanic

TSM
21-03-10, 08:48 PM
There is the lock/tab washer that only just comes up slightly. Thats out of the way. I think I may have been a bit slap happy with the loctite. I'll be waiting for my mate to open the garage first thing tomorrow. He hsould have a big enough windy. Failing that its the truck mechanic

You know the lock tab washer should be folded up on both sides of the nut to stop it unwinding itself

maviczap
21-03-10, 08:49 PM
If the windy gun doesn't work, some of this might be required :p

Either the drink or the other product of the same name

http://www.rockcafe.cz/files/uploaded/UserFiles/Image/Fotogalerie/logafest/Semtex2.gif

Sid Squid
21-03-10, 08:54 PM
Unless you have a torque multiplier.True. a dangerous beast mind :smt027Truer still - handy in the right spot though.

As the nut is on a shaft that revolves I still prefer the rattler as applying Gorilla torque isn't the problem, restraining the shaft while you do that is, the manner in which the windy spanner works means restraint other than putting it in gear is rarely needed.

7755matt
21-03-10, 08:55 PM
I think its time to replace the tab washer, where would be best to get one?

maviczap
21-03-10, 09:19 PM
True. Truer still - handy in the right spot though.

As the nut is on a shaft that revolves I still prefer the rattler as applying Gorilla torque isn't the problem, restraining the shaft while you do that is, the manner in which the windy spanner works means restraint other than putting it in gear is rarely needed.

Yes, at least with the windy gun you have some idea of whats going on at the nut, unlike the TM which is putting massive forces through the nut

maviczap
21-03-10, 09:19 PM
I think its time to replace the tab washer, where would be best to get one?

Stealer or maybe Wemoto

yorkie_chris
21-03-10, 09:44 PM
Robinsons foundry they are cheap enough.