PDA

View Full Version : Changing clutch plates

Geodude
21-03-10, 06:57 PM
After i have done the things mentioned in this post http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=148584 (if that doesnt do the trick) How hard is it to change the clutch plates on a 99 curvy for a non mechanic? Is there anything to watch out for etc.

TSM
21-03-10, 07:12 PM
no, easy peasy, just make sure you have gasket sealant as the clutch cover warps on the curvies and you get oil leaks, the rubber seal is not enough so use sealant when you put the cover back on.

Sid Squid
21-03-10, 07:14 PM
Very easy. As long as the bike is on its sidestand you won't even have to drop the oil out.
Remove the clutch outer cover, (the plastic part), evenly undo the spring bolts and remove the pressure plate, slide the plates out as one noting the positions of the plain and friction plates. Soak the new friction plates in oil and replace them interspersed with the plain plates, replace the pressure plate and evenly refit the springs and bolts. Refit the side cover replacing the 'O' ring if there's any doubt about its condition.
Re-adjust the clutch completely as per this post (http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php?p=2218584&postcount=8), the setting of the lifter will be notably different with new plates.

Geodude
21-03-10, 07:20 PM
Cheers guys was unsure of my tool skills as spanners look like shiny sticks in my hands, but we all got to learn sometime. Was worried i could make a mess of it, i do have manual just not the skills :)

Sid Squid
21-03-10, 08:47 PM
It's not a complicated task, certainly on a Curvy with the separate outer cover it's dead easy as there's no plumbing in the way - the Pointy's right hand engine case doesn't have a seperate cover for the clutch so part of the cooling system must be disturbed to access the clutch, and the bottom of the case is below the oil level too - meaning that, preferably, you'd need to drop the oil out.
Read the manual, check you've got the tools you need, be methodical, and, as you remove parts, note how and in what order they are fitted. Don't forget to adjust the clutch properly afterwards - as mentioned above new plates will alter the adjustment, sometimes by quite a degree.