PDA

View Full Version : Bikes Broke AGAIN!!!!!

Amanda
21-03-10, 11:45 PM
So went for a little bimble today and noticed the power cut out again!! It was while running once when in 5th doing about 70mph and again in 2nd doing about 30mph. Down gearing is back firing a bit and tick over is fine although running hot - jumped to 92* just turning it on the drive.

Now I haven't done a check over on the bike since last weeks Wootton Bassett and it was really hot with all the waiting around. Tomorrow I plan to give it a clean, lube and then check the water and the oil but is there anything else that would cause this!!!!

Holdup
21-03-10, 11:48 PM
Nut lose behind the bars?

TSM
21-03-10, 11:49 PM
if all is good with your rad water and oil then I would start looking at a fuel issue, bad or water in fuel

5hort5
21-03-10, 11:50 PM
lol - not constructive but I can't add any more as I'd talk about carbs at this point

Edit - not TSM but holdup lol

TSM
21-03-10, 11:52 PM
lol - not constructive but I can't add any more as I'd talk about carbs at this point

its FI pointy

Amanda
21-03-10, 11:55 PM
Nut lose behind the bars?

Nothing new there so that can't be the issue!!!!

Amanda
21-03-10, 11:56 PM
Would there be an underlying problem that caused the coil to go in the first place and is doing it again???

TSM
21-03-10, 11:58 PM
Would there be an underlying problem that caused the coil to go in the first place and is doing it again???
loose connection

Amanda
22-03-10, 12:03 AM
the plug cap???

TSM
22-03-10, 12:04 AM
the plug cap???
no, coils

tigersaw
22-03-10, 12:34 AM
When you say the power cuts out.. do you mean the power from the engine, i.e. it kinda dies in a no spark way (big engine braking), or in a no fuel way, or is it a loss of electrics big time, lights dim/ panels go wierd etc?

TSM
22-03-10, 12:36 AM
ahh another thing, check the sidestand switch, somtimes my bike cuts out when i go over a bump as the switch is worn out, its even worse when the chain is slack as it hits the sidestand (i have a non SV sidestand but guess it can happen to a SV anyway)

Amanda
22-03-10, 12:41 AM
Power cuts out as in it loses power but the engine is still running and everything is still on it, like a lack of fuel I guess.

I will check the side stand switch too, but would have thought that would cut the engine off completely

TSM
22-03-10, 12:45 AM
Power cuts out as in it loses power but the engine is still running and everything is still on it, like a lack of fuel I guess.

I will check the side stand switch too, but would have thought that would cut the engine off completely

it would cut out the engine for as long as it was in the off state then back on again, the bike wont jurk it will just feal as iff the engine goes quiet and then power on again

FI bikes dont usualy suffer backfiring as easly as carbed bikes, if its electrical where the ECU is switched off then no fuel is fed in, if its because of coils then its more plausable as fuel is going in but no spark, if thats the case it contradicts my last possable theory

tigersaw
22-03-10, 12:48 AM
Losing just one cylinder maybe?

Amanda
22-03-10, 01:00 AM
Losing just one cylinder maybe?

Certainly feels that way - Again. If you missed the other thread its just had the front coil replaced because it was only firing on one cyclinder. This feels the same but only done it a couple of times and tick over is fine.

I will have a "play" tomorrow with checking the connections and a bit of WD40 to make sure theres no water anywhere.

TSM
22-03-10, 01:03 AM
if the connections feal loose, take the connector off the coil and use some pliers to lessen the gap so it bites into the spade more, if the spade is corroded or green use some sandpaper to take the crudd off, i ususaly put LM grease on my connectors to stop water corroding them, seems to have worked on my SV where all the main wires are exposed to the rain 24x7

Amanda
22-03-10, 01:10 AM
OK, excellent advice. Will let you know what I find tomorrow.