PDA

View Full Version : TRE plug and play mod - LoL

barwel1992
22-03-10, 10:07 AM
HA have a look at that thread on svrider, there claims are quite funny :laughat:

LINK (http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=95450&page=1)

Holdup
22-03-10, 11:36 AM
I know that they are regarded as useless, but i dont know how it works over in America, if their bikes are affected differently, i was reading about a "jumper mod" for ZX6R's because over in america this jumper mod restricts the bikes by about 7 bhp to meet noise laws or something like that compared to EU ZX6R's which dont have the restriction in place (if that makes sense)

simesb
22-03-10, 11:48 AM
I know that they are regarded as useless

I think useless is a little strong, but rather not enough return on a £30 investment for a glorified resistor. Plenty of people have done the DIY fix. It is alleged not to make much difference on the 650, but does make a difference.

barwel1992
22-03-10, 11:48 AM
yeh it does but they claim huge gaings , some on even sead they had a HP gain on the dyno when it only affects the first 3 gears

i was tempted to do the resistor mod but it makes the Neutral light glow, where as the Us bloke has found another resistor that works but makes the light not glow, he says he makes no prophet but then wont tell me what resistor it is lol

simesb
22-03-10, 11:52 AM
yeh it does but they claim huge gaings , some on even sead they had a HP gain on the dyno when it only affects the first 3 gears

Is it conceivable that the first three gears is where the extra horsepower is liberated?

simesb
22-03-10, 11:53 AM
Us bloke has found another resistor that works but makes the light not glow, he says he makes no prophet but then wont tell me what resistor it is lol

Beware false prophets!

ophic
22-03-10, 12:30 PM
It does have an effect but not in an area that I'd find useful. Pointy SV650 is retarded in the lower gears at under 4k rpm and under half throttle - just enough to sneak through the noise regs, allegedly.

Now I dunno about other riders, but if I'm at under 4k revs with the throttle less than half open, I'm not expecting my engine to perform. And even on the rare occasion that I did suddenly decide I wanted to go faster, whilst at the same time being too lazy to change gear, I'd open the throttle more than half way.

The only conceivable advantage is that it might smooth out the snatchy throttle pick-up. Also makes tick-over slightly louder.

barwel1992
22-03-10, 01:26 PM
Beware false prophets!

yeh thats what i was thinking but people seem to back him up

i think im not going to waste my time on this mod and remove the PAIR system instead

Mr Speirs
22-03-10, 01:57 PM
$27 covers his parts and labour???!!! I guess shipping must be expensive in the US or summat?

tigersaw
22-03-10, 03:12 PM
He spouts on like he's invented something, like its not a couple of bits of wire and some heat shrink.

Nobbylad
22-03-10, 09:21 PM
We should buy one, figure out what resistor he's using and then knock them out for the 86p it's costing him.

ophic
22-03-10, 09:23 PM
Got a small bag of them kicking around. 86p is overcharging a bit.:)

Nobbylad
22-03-10, 09:26 PM
I was factoring in the cost of the plugs, the heat shrink and my time ;)

orose
22-03-10, 09:27 PM
At first, I was wondering whether it was some sort of joke and if you removed the heatshrink, you'd actually find that all the wires were just straight with nothing special hiding.

Perhaps stateside its a different deal because of the more restrictive emissions regulations in California.

ophic
22-03-10, 09:31 PM
The old school way of doing it was to extract the pins from the connector, connect together with a resistor with some spade type connector thingies, heatshrink the lot. About 30 mins, 2 connectors and a resistor. Total cost about 10p.