PDA

View Full Version : second hand restrictor kit

jourdain
22-03-10, 02:55 PM
hi all,

i am a little confused as to wether of not i am able to use a second hand ecu restrictor. I have read many posts here and feel that the peole have valued and usually correct opinions. so my questions are

1. what are your experiances and how much did it cost you?
2. does the chip have to be fitted at a suzuki dealer?
3 what is the overall cheapest way? (eg fit yourself and dyno)

i am going to be purchasing an sv650s within the next couple of months. The oldest i am going to go 2003, and the newest 2007

thanks to all replies in advance

jourdain

yorkie_chris
22-03-10, 02:58 PM
Fit it yourself. It is as easy as putting a game in a nintendo.

When taking out insurance make sure that they do not require any proof of 33bhp. Most say "we don't require any paperwork, but if you have a crash we will check the bike".

jourdain
22-03-10, 03:40 PM
but then what happens if i need to prove that the bike has 33bhp?

did you just fit it yourself? if so where did you get it from

sunshine
22-03-10, 03:47 PM
a dyno is proof of power, or a dealership can check and certify that it is restricted.

yorkie_chris
22-03-10, 03:51 PM
but then what happens if i need to prove that the bike has 33bhp?

did you just fit it yourself? if so where did you get it from

You don't need to prove it is restricted. Like I said, select an insurance company who does not require proof. If in doubt get them to confirm this in writing.

The onus is on the police if they are in doubt to prove it is NOT restricted. The 33bhp cert is NOT a legal document.

Jayneflakes
23-03-10, 08:49 AM
You don't need to prove it is restricted. Like I said, select an insurance company who does not require proof. If in doubt get them to confirm this in writing.

The onus is on the police if they are in doubt to prove it is NOT restricted. The 33bhp cert is NOT a legal document.

There was a huge scam involved in this, restriction kits were sold and a huge fitting and registration fee was charged. The only advantage to this was some companies listed your bike as restricted on an Insurance database.

Chris is right though, there is no certificate that is legal proof that your bike is fitted with a restrictor. If you look hard enough on E-Bay, you can buy a certificate.

With my bike, I bought an ECU on E-Bay for £16 and fitted it myself in the garage. As Chris said, it is like fitting a game cartridge and it took longer to put the full power unit in a protective envelope that it did to fit the restricted unit.

There is no way I am paying some paper pusher £300 to put my bike on a list somewhere, so that it can be forgotten. If you have an accident, then the Police or the insurance have to prove that it was not restricted first. If your unit is fitted, you have nothing to worry about. If you are running full power, but have your bike insured as restricted, your insurance will be invalid.

I had a quote the other day and they simply did not question the restriction. :smt080

jonny.boyd
23-03-10, 09:50 AM
I got my SV650 restricted. Although instead of using a chip it had the inlet manifold restricted (because its carb). Cost me £175, got certificate, etc. I think it's a bit overkill but seems that was the only way to allow me to legally ride the bike so had to do it.

yorkie_chris
23-03-10, 10:55 AM
listed your bike as restricted on an Insurance database.

put my bike on a list somewhere,

There is no database and no list. Whatever load of bollox you read on the FI international website.

haggis
23-03-10, 12:01 PM
Is that still going on... I had the same worries 10years ago!
I wonder just how much money FI have made out of innocent folk thinking they were doing the right thing.

It's about time the biking public at large got the right info on restriction. After all, most people fitting 33bhp kits are by default new to biking. Welcome.... now give me a load of cash for feckall...goodbye..... :smt091

yorkie_chris
23-03-10, 12:13 PM
There was a huge scam involved in this,

What do you mean WAS involved? Those shower of shoites FI int. are still in business and still telling people such utter BS...

jourdain
23-03-10, 03:09 PM
thanks for all the replies, ive come to the conclusion that there is no way i am getting a dealer to do it for the cost of 250 pounds, that is an outwright discrace. im just going to keep an eye out on ebay, unless any of you have 1 :)

i also came across this article when looking into it
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2009/November/nov1309-The-33bhp-certificate-rip-off/

happy riding

Jayneflakes
23-03-10, 03:36 PM
There is no database and no list. Whatever load of bollox you read on the FI international website.

Sadly, not the FI web page. Told to me in all sincerity by a Bike Dealership here in Weston. This is what I was told, the paper work was supposed to list your bike on a Database so that the insurance companies could cross check it.

However, I found out from another guy (the single bike trader guy I took my SV to for work that I could not do, before he went bust. :() that most, if not all of the paper work was not completed or even entered on to the system.

What do you mean WAS involved? Those shower of shoites FI int. are still in business and still telling people such utter BS...

To be fair, I was that given dodgy info by a major dealer and they were claiming that they got the kits direct from Suzuki. Some dealers were scamming people and probably still are. New riders like me can be intimidated by the vast acres of BS that a dealer can spout. Since the day my local bike dealer tried to sell me an FJ600 (because no one makes 250cc machines any more! :^o) to ride before going on my SV, I tend to avoid them.

If anyone PM's me asking who the dealership was, I will tell them, but not on an open forum. :thumbdown:

yorkie_chris
23-03-10, 03:45 PM
Sadly, not the FI web page. Told to me in all sincerity by a Bike Dealership here in Weston. This is what I was told, the paper work was supposed to list your bike on a Database so that the insurance companies could cross check it.

They were, and are, talking bollox then.
I've been told that by dealerships too, they read it on the sales crap FI international send out and like a set of dense buggers believed it. Or they take a healthy cut of selling the kits.

I would consider it a fairly salient point that the people disseminating these rumours are trying to sell you stuff at a huge profit margin.

I would encourage anybody in doubt to check with the police, any insurance companies and investigators and anyone else they can think of who does not have such a HUGE vested interest!

Regarding who the dealership are, I disagree with you there, post up who they are. If they've been balking tollocks and trying to scam new riders then they deserve to collect a reputation. You reap what you sow.

jourdain
23-03-10, 09:20 PM
A company as big as the FI should be alot more organized and have a clear structure. i have no faith in anything that they say.

like many of you here i am going to carry out my own restriction, just a case of finding a second hand ecu

metalmonkey
23-03-10, 09:34 PM
The big give away if your resricted is that if your going a little bit fast, however if you get stopped for that I would suggest you have other things to worry about.

From the legal side of side of things you don't any bit of paper saying what bhp your bike is, the police can find that out for themselves if they want too.

yorkie_chris
23-03-10, 09:49 PM
A company as big as the FI should be alot more organized and have a clear structure. i have no faith in anything that they say.

They're not that big a company TBH, all they have to do is sell their kits without all the scaremongering and mentalist prices.

It's a simple law, a simple mechanical device and a simple job to fit them. They make it complicated by spreading disinformation about databases, stickers, certificates and all that.

matt_rehm_hext
24-03-10, 12:54 AM
Bunch of see you next tuesday's. When I was new to big bikes, I went to my local Suzuki dealer WEST LONDON SUZUKI in Bedfont, and they told me it would cost £280 to supply and fit a restricted ECU, a little less for the FI restrictor set.

I walked out in disbelief, got a restricted ECU from someone on this forum, and fitted it myself in less than 10 minutes.

Absolute wang hers.