PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust leak?

jonny.boyd
23-03-10, 09:39 AM
Just a quick question before I nip over to the garage.

I've noticed recently that air is escaping from one of the seals where the exhaust pipe connects to the can. From what i can see there is a rubber seal that is meant to be securing the air tight seal but this is obviously failing. Now my bike is still under warranty but not for long. If I go to them today and tell about the problem they'll probably just blag it off and say it's meant to do it. As far as i was aware the exhaust system should be sealed and airtight (apart from the end obviously and maybe a hole in the mid-section) but there shouldn't be air from the seal should there?

Any help / advise relating to this would be great!

Sid Squid
23-03-10, 09:47 AM
Do you have a replacement exhaust? The standard exhaust is all welded, and is substantially one piece with no rubber seals, so I assume you have an alternative of some kind, in which case we need to know a bit more, the make of the can and perhaps a picture showing the exact location of the leak.

jonny.boyd
23-03-10, 09:56 AM
I'm not with the bike right now so I will do my best.

Please find attached picture of the can, and picture showing where air leak is:

jonny.boyd
23-03-10, 09:57 AM
sorry in answer to your question yes it is a replacement (not fitted by me, came with the bike). It has a Viper exhaust (not sure of which exact one).

Sid Squid
23-03-10, 10:00 AM
There isn't a rubber seal in there, but there may well have been some silicon sealant or similar used when the exhaust was fitted. If you can get the seller to refit it all well and good, if they're not keen it's easily and simply done yourself.

jonny.boyd
23-03-10, 10:04 AM
Just under that metal plate you can see circled in the picture is what looks like a circular piece of rubber sealing the gap between the can the exhaust pipe. Is it bad to have the exhaust system not air tight before it comes out the end? I'm looking for a good reason I can give the garage for wanting it fixed.

jonny.boyd
23-03-10, 12:43 PM
I stand corrected, went to garage, he tightened up the clip helped but didnt stop the air leak but better than nothing. Case closed, thanks for your advise sid squid!

yorkie_chris
23-03-10, 12:46 PM
TBH a bit of a leak there might cause a bit of grumbling on the overrun but won't do any harm.

barwel1992
23-03-10, 12:55 PM
mine leaks all over, havent got round to resealing it yet but will this week some time, i use out door drain sealant, because its black and dosent dry that fast so you can mess around with it for about 30min after

jonny.boyd
23-03-10, 02:26 PM
But wouldn't it melt / smoke with the extreme heats the exhaust gives out?

barwel1992
23-03-10, 02:31 PM
nope just hardens

_Stretchie_
23-03-10, 02:33 PM
Sid, should there be a gasket in there? Inside the sleeve of the silencer where the link pipe goes in and then it's tightened up with a jubilee clip?

yorkie_chris
23-03-10, 02:46 PM
Nope it's metal-metal

_Stretchie_
23-03-10, 03:00 PM
Kinky

Scoobs
23-03-10, 04:19 PM
I just used bathroom mastic on mine. Get the mould resistant type though. :)