PDA

View Full Version : Engine turning over but not firing

ophic
23-03-10, 05:00 PM
Hi. Got an intermittent starting problem with my K3.

It turns over fairly well, but won't fire. This continues until the battery goes dead, but when I charge it up or jump start it off another battery, it fires and will then run with no further problems.

I'm thinking that perhaps the starter motor has enough juice to turn, but the spark plugs are not giving a strong enough spark to fire it up. Does this sounds like a reasonable conclusion?

I'm wondering if there's anything else that might cause this issue.

Scoobs
23-03-10, 05:10 PM
Does this sounds like a reasonable conclusion?

Yep. I have the same problem if the battery ain't tippity top.

yorkie_chris
24-03-10, 07:46 AM
Check your battery and charging system, fact it starts fine from a jump suggests something up there

Sid Squid
24-03-10, 08:22 AM
Check the battery voltage alone first - like Scoobs says, if it isn't good then this is the sort of problem that can be found.
Unless the battery is going flat in use, that is; when you go to start it it won't turn over, the charging system isn't the first likely culprit, if it were then the battery would be flat before you tried. That said, a quick wave of the meter over the battery terminals won't go amiss.

ophic
24-03-10, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the advice - I'll get these things checked. It was a cheap battery although not that old, and if I whip if off the bike and charge it, it starts fine.

This was a bike that as long as it turned over, would fire - even a slow reluctant turn over after having been unused for a while. This problem is new in that the bike turns over in quite a healthy manner in the beginning, but refuses to fire. But it doesn't always do it, so may be dependent on the level of charge in the battery.

The spark plugs are somewhat overdue for a change anyway, so this will be done. If this doesn't fix it, I'll post back.

lee67
24-03-10, 12:19 PM
mine was always a first time starter'...other month it turned over just fine but wouldnt fire'.....plugs were nearly due, so new plugs in and fired first prod;)..

Sid Squid
24-03-10, 01:54 PM
The spark plugs are somewhat overdue for a change anyway, so this will be done. If this doesn't fix it, I'll post back.
Plugs that are dirty or with too wide a gap will require a greater volatge to give a healthy spark, if the battery charge is low the problem will be worsened. New/cleaned/gapped plugs are never a bad thing.