PDA

View Full Version : 14 Tooth front sprocket question

Brettus
24-03-10, 01:15 PM
I recall seeing a few threads with them mentioned, I'd like to change the gearing slightly and seeing as my C&S are due for replacement at the start of the decent weather it seemed like a good opportunity to try it out.

Questions are:
1: is 14t the sensible way of going about it or should I add 3 to the rear?
1a: if I go for the 48t (the stock is 45 right?) do I need more chain links?
2: O ring or X ring? last time I was looking most people thought o-ring.
3: Does Steve of F&B Tyres sort out the whole C&S set or do I need to supply them for him to fit?

Any other relevant advice much appreciated.

lee67
24-03-10, 01:28 PM
i normally go 1 down on the front, gives better acceleration, and a tad less top speed...remember ur speedo will read wrong..and o ring

the_lone_wolf
24-03-10, 01:33 PM
...ur speedo will read wrong...

On a K6? Thought they were front wheel hall sensors?

Brettus
24-03-10, 01:42 PM
On a K6? Thought they were front wheel hall sensors?

Yup speedo sensor on wheel so that should be fine.
unless anyone has any 14 tooth horror stories of lack of chain life then I'll start looking around for the parts.

lee67
24-03-10, 01:58 PM
haha my eyes didnt read the k6 in sig'....fit away and enjoy the new low down grunt;)...

yorkie_chris
24-03-10, 04:30 PM
I would advise going up at the back instead, going down at the front increases chain wear and wear on swingarm slider.

lee67
24-03-10, 04:31 PM
I would advise going up at the back instead, going down at the front increases chain wear and wear on swingarm slider.
never had any bother on super tuned bandit 12's with one down on front,...and ive done plenty;)

yorkie_chris
24-03-10, 04:44 PM
Some other people would disagree.

It's a fact that going down on the front increases the chain tension for a given wheel torque. whereas going up at the back increases wheel torque for a given chain tension.

lee67
24-03-10, 04:46 PM
yup heard the pro's/con's...all im saying is ive never had any probs...i was national rep for the bandit owners club, so did loads...no issues, but as u say i have seen worn away chain sliders'..mainly on 7/11 fighters

yorkie_chris
24-03-10, 04:47 PM
How many miles does average 7/11 do? ;)

lee67
24-03-10, 04:51 PM
most hardly any, we built a beaut 7/11 about 3 yrs ago'''its now on stupid miles and chain slider still intact'..chain tension plays a big part here too;)

yorkie_chris
24-03-10, 04:53 PM
Exactly you don't want to be able to twang the bugger, which many people miss when they apply a stupid swingarm angle cos it looks cool.

Brettus
24-03-10, 05:20 PM
OK then so going for the teeth on the back then (seems to be pretty even odds) meaning a 48t? rear sprocket what size chain is needed for that? I seem to recall a thread where you mentioned this YC, but just in case you have changed your mind since then :)

yorkie_chris
24-03-10, 05:24 PM
I went to 48 teeth and increased the chain length to 112 links on a naked (normally 110). The S has shorter swingarm (normally uses 108) so try 110 links. Adjusters might be a bit further back that normal but should still be within limits.

Best bet is to find someone who's tried it TBH. I can only tell you what I know of the pointys so don't take the above as gospel.