PDA

View Full Version : where might I find a restrictor kit?

Liam9188
24-03-10, 04:13 PM
Just had a lovely little email from my insurance company, 8 months after taking out the policy, explaining that I need proof that my bike is restricted.

''In order to verify you are legally entitled to Ride your Motorcycle please send us proof of the modification, acceptable proof could be a Garage Invoice (if professionally fitted) or a Sales Invoice/Proof of Purchase (if purchased and fitted personally).''

These methods dont allow for the purchase of a restrictor kit from say, another forum member where it was payed for in cash, leaving no evidence of the transaction.

Anyways, If i go along with this it looks like I'm gonna have to buy the kit from a dealer or in some way that means I'll have a piece of paper saying I bought it. Any ideas?

lily
24-03-10, 04:19 PM
Phone them and ask if they will except a Dyno test result?!

orose
24-03-10, 04:21 PM
If it is already restricted, then I'd go with a dyno printout - a power run should cost less than £30 and would demonstrate the output being less than the limit.

If you haven't bought one yet, then get the seller to create a reciept out of a word template or something similar with their address on it when you buy it. Might not be as cast-iron as a dealer-issued one on headed paper, but should be good enough to start with.

ophic
24-03-10, 05:24 PM
The problem you might have on any documentation, is the date. It'll be 8 months late.

timwilky
24-03-10, 05:49 PM
Read their requirement again.

Sales Invoice/Proof of Purchase (if purchased and fitted personally).''
Who ever you are insured with is trying to work with you, yet cover their backside. they are not asking for a lot. Get whoever sold it to you to hand write a receipt to the effect of :

Address line1
Address line2
postcode.

Receipt for the sum of £x.y from Liam numbers
for the purchase of SV650 restriction kit.

signed

Joe Bloggs.

Not too difficult is it?

Liam9188
24-03-10, 06:46 PM
Read their requirement again.

Who ever you are insured with is trying to work with you, yet cover their backside. they are not asking for a lot. Get whoever sold it to you to hand write a receipt to the effect of :

Address line1
Address line2
postcode.

Receipt for the sum of £x.y from Liam numbers
for the purchase of SV650 restriction kit.

signed

Joe Bloggs.

Not too difficult is it?

That is what I'm gonna have to do. Time to start checking through old emails...

GixxerMatt
24-03-10, 10:14 PM
i got mine restricted by dealer and cost me £150 for parts i got a certificate saying its all been done ect ect and ive never had to show it to them but reading this i better keep that certificate incase they ask for it.

yorkie_chris
25-03-10, 11:11 AM
That is what I'm gonna have to do. Time to start checking through old emails...

I'm sure I sold an OEM restrictor kit to someone. Might as well have been you.

Liam9188
25-03-10, 04:18 PM
I've found the guy, contacted him and asked him to knock me up a receipt. sorted.

Noble Ox
25-03-10, 04:36 PM
Out of intereset.... I didnt tell my insurance my bike's restricted. I just took out a policy for a 'normal' SV. Surely they are clever enough to see that I was 17 (18 now) at the time I took out the insurance, and I had only held my licence for a month?

Or are they that stupid?

Liam9188
25-03-10, 04:41 PM
Mine didn't ask about a restricter when i took out the policy, they just assumed i needed one because I am not yet 19