PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a centerstand for oil changes?

spikeysam
25-03-10, 12:19 AM
As a SV650S newbie, I'm about to attempt my first oil change.

Do I need to buy a swing-arm stand or center stand before one can do an oil change, or can an oil change be done without much difficulty from just the kick-stand?

Thanks again!!

Spikey

simesb
25-03-10, 12:23 AM
Don't think you would get all the oil out unless you held it upright after the last had come out whilst on the side stand. Paddock stands make a whole lot of things easier - a worthwhile investment,

Barrypz
25-03-10, 12:23 AM
You really want the bike upright to get the right amount of oil in. You could have somebody hold it up. Also want to make sure the drain plug is the low point when you drain.
Don't make the mistake of using the sightglass with the bike on the side stand.

5hort5
25-03-10, 12:30 AM
Last oil change I did was on the side stand, you get most out.

Just read the haynes manual (if you haven't got on, get one, you may get a cheap one off ebay), and there is nothing about putting the bike on a stand or anything like that, it just says warm the engine up so that the oil drains easily. If you know when the oil was last changed then great if not then probably worth changing the filter at the same time and when fitting the oil drain plug back again it's best to have a new crush washer but many have put the old one back on with no probs. (Note: if you do this then check for oil leaks regularly for a few days after)

Edit - and DON'T buy cheap oil, it's a false economy

spikeysam
25-03-10, 01:16 AM
Wow thanks for the reply. What do you mean by it's a false economy? I bought some $4.99 a bottle, so 4 bottles which is more than enough for the SV650S only costed me a paltry $15 bucks USD. But it does say Castrol and I have heard of Castrol, and it says it's for motorcycles.

Should I be returning this stuff for more expensive oil?

21QUEST
25-03-10, 01:19 AM
You don't need a stand of any description(apart from the side stand :-P) ...totally unnecessary.

Another point of not here....doing the oil change with the bike on a paddock stand doesn't necessarily get the most oil out.

Cheers
Ben

5hort5
25-03-10, 01:31 AM
Ahh - an american, so oil is cheaper than water lol

ok, well Castrol is good, is it Semi synthetic?

oo - the false economy bit means that cheap rubbish oil will break your engine faster than the good stuff and will need changing a lot more, it's just not worth buying the cheapest.

Red Herring
25-03-10, 06:20 AM
Depends on where the drain plug is. From memory (I guess I ought to go outside and look) the SV one is on the left so it's actually better to drain on the sidestand than on a centre stand, which tends to raise the back of the bike anyhow. Just remember to warm the engine up first so the oil drains better, and don't forget to do the filter as well.

When you refill either get someone to hold the bike up right or put the bilk of the oil in (about 3 litres) then add a little at a time checking the sight glass with the bike level regularly. Once at the right level run the bike for a couple of minutes, allow to stand briefly, then check again.

Alpinestarhero
25-03-10, 08:50 AM
Depends on where the drain plug is. From memory (I guess I ought to go outside and look) the SV one is on the left so it's actually better to drain on the sidestand than on a centre stand, which tends to raise the back of the bike anyhow. Just remember to warm the engine up first so the oil drains better, and don't forget to do the filter as well.

When you refill either get someone to hold the bike up right or put the bilk of the oil in (about 3 litres) then add a little at a time checking the sight glass with the bike level regularly. Once at the right level run the bike for a couple of minutes, allow to stand briefly, then check again.

3 litres would be too much! I put in about 2 and a half...I fill up to 2, thencheck the sight glass, fill until the oil is at the top line in the window (with the bike upright), put the filler cap on then start the engine and let it run for a couple of seconds (make sure the oil pressure light goes out!) then re-check the oil level and top up so the oil is between the lines in the window, but more towards the upper line :)

(sorry, i wasnt having a go because I know you know about bikes, maybe you ment 3 instead of 2 so it was a typo but just before the OP makes a mistake and has the bother of draining excess oil lol)

ShadFX
25-03-10, 11:54 AM
Always done my oil changes on the centre stand on previous bikes - not going to change tactics now cos of the SV. Will probs pop her up on the paddock stand. Let me tell you now - that stand also made adjusting the chain and lubing it up SOOOO much easier :) they can be had off ebay for peanuts (mine were £40 for a pair) and really do help :)

spikeysam
27-03-10, 10:30 PM
Thanks for all the great responses! I thought to update everyone here on the results.

So I ended up only using 3 bottles of Castrol Oil, a FRAM filter that costed 9 bucks... and everything went good at the total cost of about $25 bucks USD. Not to shabby, considering the guys at the shop wanted to charge $90 bucks USD just for the labour... not including materials!

Thanks guys!

Red Herring
27-03-10, 11:41 PM
3 litres would be too much! .........

(sorry, i wasnt having a go because I know you know about bikes, maybe you ment 3 instead of 2 so it was a typo but just before the OP makes a mistake and has the bother of draining excess oil lol)

No offence taken, I've got several bikes on the go and can never remember how much each one takes. I suppose I ought to have checked on the SV capacity before posting....Cheers.

bigspud
27-03-10, 11:59 PM
No offence taken, I've got several bikes on the go and can never remember how much each one takes. I suppose I ought to have checked on the SV capacity before posting....Cheers.
2.7l is the capacity of the SV including filter ,incase anyone needs to know

carternd
28-03-10, 12:55 AM
Thanks for all the great responses! I thought to update everyone here on the results.

So I ended up only using 3 bottles of Castrol Oil, a FRAM filter that costed 9 bucks... and everything went good at the total cost of about $25 bucks USD. Not to shabby, considering the guys at the shop wanted to charge $90 bucks USD just for the labour... not including materials!

Thanks guys!

Do they not do bigger bottles of oil in the States? If you do nothing else for your bike, oil and filter, air filter and chain adjustment and lubrication can be done by anyone with brain function. Oh, you don't need to use the paddock stands for the oil change, just stand the bike up straight, jiggle it a bit, leave it and do it again. Paddock stand tips the bike forward a fair bit and may leave some oil in the sump, although you can do the chain whilst waiting for the oil to drain. Did you use a new sump plug washer?

spikeysam
28-03-10, 02:43 AM
They do have bigger bottles but when I went to the store to buy it, I didn't know exactly how much I would need so I thought to buy them in 1L bottles and return the leftovers. So I ended up using about two and a half bottles. :)

Do you mean a "crush washer"? I'm not all that familiar with the terms yet, but I did purchase new ones. I couldn't get the old washer off the drain bolt, so I screwed it back in as it is and hoping to purchase a new drain bolt with the new copper washers I've purchased.

I've left some news papers underneath the bike to see if it leaks, and if it doesn't over the next week or so, I'm going to use a crush washer for my next install. Thanks so much everyone.

carternd
28-03-10, 02:59 AM
They do have bigger bottles but when I went to the store to buy it, I didn't know exactly how much I would need so I thought to buy them in 1L bottles and return the leftovers. So I ended up using about two and a half bottles. :)

Do you mean a "crush washer"? I'm not all that familiar with the terms yet, but I did purchase new ones. I couldn't get the old washer off the drain bolt, so I screwed it back in as it is and hoping to purchase a new drain bolt with the new copper washers I've purchased.

I've left some news papers underneath the bike to see if it leaks, and if it doesn't over the next week or so, I'm going to use a crush washer for my next install. Thanks so much everyone.

Yep. Don't worry, just ribbing you! Is the good thing to change it, but on most of my bikes I never bothered. If it's stuck on use a drift (steel bar) or old screwdriver and GENTLY tap it off. If you aren't leaking oil you don't need to change it.

I just wondered, as it's cheaper over here to buy 4 or 5 litres (8-10 pints) than 1l bottles, and it doesn't go off.