PDA

View Full Version : Steering dampers - which one?

baz6552
25-03-10, 07:59 PM
anyone fitted a steeing damper to the sv 650s
and can anyone recommend one

hardhat_harry
25-03-10, 08:22 PM
Sprint ones are usually good for the money but unless your racing it why would you?

barwel1992
25-03-10, 08:23 PM
theres no need for one unless you have the rear end jacked up or a longer rear shock, or your racing

hardhat_harry
25-03-10, 08:25 PM
My rear is jacked up 35mm and the front is GSXR600 which are shorter forks so its on its nose, mines a track bike and I still dont need one :)

dizzyblonde
25-03-10, 08:26 PM
Really no need for a steering damper on the 650, at all.

barwel1992
25-03-10, 08:26 PM
i can make mine wobble with the rear raised 30mm + 8mm longer shock and 5mm drop on the forks but that could be because mines a naked

dizzyblonde
25-03-10, 08:30 PM
Even when my black one was jacked up at the rear, it didn't need a steering damper.

Sorry, Only big girls have one on ;-)

I can understand for other bikes, but not the SV650. The thou has one AFAIK.

hardhat_harry
25-03-10, 08:32 PM
The SV is quite a long bike so its quite stable

barwel1992
25-03-10, 08:35 PM
never sead i needed one lol, just sead i can make it twitch

i think it was a old magazine that had a k2 that were talking about modding the sv (found it on the web the other day had yellow pages (and yellow sv) cant find it now) they were talking about JHS and big bore and all that, and it sead the s version is ok to jack up but the N is not ?

dizzyblonde
25-03-10, 08:39 PM
Couldn't honestly comment on jacking up a nakid as I only have the faired ones.

BTW I was only kidding about big girls. Still a very unnecessary purchase IMO.

For instance, I'm looking to buy an Xtra Raptor later in the year. The VRaptor doesn't have a steering damper on, but the Xtra Raptor does, same bike apart from an upgrade in suspension, and loads of fancy carbon....owners rip the damper off as soon as they get it, so must be unnecessary.

Nobbylad
25-03-10, 08:41 PM
But if you do want one, I an sell you a Gixer 750 damper :)

barwel1992
25-03-10, 08:43 PM
Couldn't honestly comment on jacking up a nakid as I only have the faired ones.

BTW I was only kidding about big girls. Still a very unnecessary purchase IMO.

For instance, I'm looking to buy an Xtra Raptor later in the year. The VRaptor doesn't have a steering damper on, but the Xtra Raptor does, same bike apart from an upgrade in suspension, and loads of fancy carbon....owners rip the damper off as soon as they get it, so must be unnecessary.

interesting, that is i think it was you that sead it was a mental bike, shows that its down to design of the frame and not just the power of the thing

dizzyblonde
25-03-10, 08:49 PM
Perhaps it was meant to be used for racing as a friend suggested, hence the reason for a damper. I dunoooooo....

It is a mental bike, I just have a very good insight to how to ride it, I lived with one for long enough, and have heard every minute detail from my ex partner. Wether the TL1000s engine has anything to do with it is anyones guess.
Besides I'm very respectful of power, and don't particularly know how to pull wheelies. You can lift it off the front wheel straight away, if you like that sort of thing, its not like an SV, fling it in a corner and it'll bite yer ass far more severely than an SV ever would. It would eat someone for breakfast if put in the wrong hands.
Down tuned engine for more torque.

But anyway, enough of that, we're supposed to be chatting steering dampers ;-)

barwel1992
25-03-10, 08:54 PM
^ lol

but yeh some bloke in the US makes a kit for the sv to use a standard GSXR damper on standard sv forks, it mount behind the front lights using the front sub frame bolt holes, and only works on the naked

fizzwheel
25-03-10, 09:18 PM
just sead i can make it twitch

I used to be able to make mine twitch, one bit of road with a poor surface as I went over the crest, it would go light on the front and then the poor road surface would flick the front wheel and it'd shake its head as I went over it.

Mine was pretty much stock. But it was me inducing it rather than the bike needing a damper.

If it was my SV and my money, I'd be looking to upgrade the stock front end ( if it still has one ) at least do the springs and oil for something more suited to the riders weight. Get much better rewards that way rather than spending money on a damper.

IMHO.

barwel1992
25-03-10, 09:28 PM
mine twitches when i change up on a flat out over take, never did it until i did the rear shock/dog bones and front drop, but that small negative does not out weight the added drop in speed and control into corners

you just reminded me that i must do my front fork springs and oil

simesb
25-03-10, 10:31 PM
Sprint ones are usually good for the money but unless your racing it why would you?

theres no need for one unless you have the rear end jacked up or a longer rear shock, or your racing

Really no need for a steering damper on the 650, at all.

I know received wisdom on here is that you don't need one, but if the OP wants one and would be more comfortable with one...

In answer to the OP - dunno! :D

baz6552
27-03-10, 11:29 AM
thanks for the replies, its my son who rides the svs and he says that he has had the front end twitching a bit too much,thought it may be a good idea,he does give it some mind you..
i,ll save my money.

baz6552
27-03-10, 11:31 AM
ok simesb,are the crash bungs the r and g ones that replace the engine bolt mate,if so how much.?

simesb
27-03-10, 02:40 PM
ok simesb,are the crash bungs the r and g ones that replace the engine bolt mate,if so how much.?

The ones I'm selling are DHM and use the engine mount bolt. PM if interested.

flymo
27-03-10, 06:55 PM
I use a GPR steering damper on my race bike, very neat piece of kit

yorkie_chris
28-03-10, 12:39 PM
If I was fitting one I'd take a stock GSXR one and replace the oil with RSF2.5.

I think if you're having the sort of problems that actually need a fully adjustable shinyshiny damper then covering up the problem does no good and you need to trace its cause.

Of course if you're buying a shinyshiny damper because it's shiny, go for it :)

i can make mine wobble with the rear raised 30mm + 8mm longer shock and 5mm drop on the forks but that could be because mines a naked

Probably because your suspension isn't right.

barwel1992
28-03-10, 07:59 PM
Probably because your suspension isn't right.

yup decided that today with the GF on the back for the first time in ages