PDA

View Full Version : Neglected SV - what TLC?

Sss
26-03-10, 10:19 AM
Hi,

I have a curvy SV650s which has been rather neglected in recent years. For one reason or another it has not seen much use in the past 4/5 years, and has been sat in the garage.

It runs fine, and there is nothing obviously worn out, but I would like to give it a bit of a much needed service. I'm about to change the oil, filter & water, but I would be interested to know what else might need to be done - any recommendations?

Thanks.

S

Stig
26-03-10, 10:23 AM
Empty, flush and refill all fluids. Petrol, engine oil, brake fluids, fork oil, radiator.

Alpinestarhero
26-03-10, 10:25 AM
How many miles on the bike?

Change the air filter, and the oil filter in conjunction with changing the oil. It might not be a bad idea to get some cheaper halfords oil and use this as an engine "flush" to clean the engine of all the old oil (just run the bike at a fast idle for a minute maybe? someone will know better than me on this) then refill with good quality castrol or similar oil (10w 40, semi synthetic or fully synthetic). Change the spark plugs (when the engine coolant has been drained, you can get the radiator off to get to the front one easily). You might also want to have the valve clearances checked for peice of mind :)

Whats the condition of the chain and sprockets? check the chain dosnt have loads of tight-spots and seized links :)

Check the wheel bearings, rotate them (when there are no brakes on the dics and the chain is off the sprocket) and listen for any rumbling from the wheel bearings

Make sure the tyres are in good condition; no cracks, hold air at the desired pressure, no flat spots

And check the battery too :D

Happy restoring

dizzyblonde
26-03-10, 10:29 AM
Depends on how far gone it is.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=103561&highlight=suzy+bares

This should entertain you. She was like a pheonix rising from the ashes...to the bike she is today in my avatar.:smt080
Obviously she always was a runner, just terribly overused. I doubt yours is anywhere near.

Sss
26-03-10, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

@Alpinestarhero - Acually the bike has seen very low usage. Don't remember exactly but certainly <10K. Thanks for the extra recommendations.

@Dizzyblonde - Crikey, that's quite a transformation! Thankfully I'm nowhere near where you had to start ;p