PDA

View Full Version : Shiney Swing arm

DavieSV
26-03-10, 02:31 PM
I got my swing arm powder coated today after top bracing it :D

I polished the swing arm and had it powder coated clear to see if it sticks better then clear laquer.

It seems to have dulled it only slightly and seems to have a very faint blue tint to it, but still looks ace.

The powder reacted in a couple of places, but nothing to worry about.

lee67
26-03-10, 03:12 PM
each to there own, but imo i think it looks ****e( compared to a pro one)....but so long as your happy;)

petevtwin650
26-03-10, 04:01 PM
The bracing looks like it adds a bit of "meat" to the swinger, although hard to tell until it's in situ. The pointy swingarm has always looked a bit skimpy to me. Nice job.:thumright:

So, is it clear powdercoating or silver, MrSV ?

maviczap
26-03-10, 04:07 PM
Davie,
I think it looks great.

Nobbylad
26-03-10, 04:14 PM
Stoopid question - why brace it?

maviczap
26-03-10, 04:16 PM

Why not, its something different, I know the Sv doesn't need it, but why not ;)

maviczap
26-03-10, 04:18 PM
My swingarm in chrome silver powder coat. Would look nice braced

http://forums.sv650.org/picture.php?albumid=501&pictureid=3555

Nobbylad
26-03-10, 04:34 PM
Why not, its something different, I know the Sv doesn't need it, but why not ;)

Sorry, should have been clearer, I meant what benefit (perceived or otherwise) is there in bracing it? Is for strength/looks/both etc

Was a genuine interest...

DavieSV
26-03-10, 04:55 PM
So, is it clear powdercoating or silver, MrSV ?

Clear

It felt like the swing arm was flexing when hard accelerating whilst leant over. I made my mind up to brace it, to reduce the flex and make the rear shock do more of the work. It wasnt untill I stripped it down that I realised I had a swing arm bearing issue.

So I went ahead and braced it anyway.

dizzyblonde
26-03-10, 04:57 PM
Like the shiny shiny, but not the bracing. Not too keen on that bit. But its your individual preference. So if you like, phhttthhhhppppt to the rest of us ;-)

DarrenSV650S
26-03-10, 08:24 PM
Looks good. I didn't know you got clear powder coating

Jayneflakes
26-03-10, 10:24 PM
I do like the bracing, although it seems I am alone in this so far! Great finish, lets us know how it looks on the bike, when finished.

Question, why brace only the top when doing the bottom can look so gorgeous too?

phil24_7
26-03-10, 11:08 PM
Not bad. Did you machine the brace yourself?

DavieSV
26-03-10, 11:26 PM
Looks good. I didn't know you got clear powder coating
Yes, I had a word with our powder coaters, and he said it should stick better than clear laquer to a polished surface, so I thought I'd give it a try. Only time will tell how it lasts, and because I can not be bothered polishing it every week, now it's powder coated, a quick wash will bring it back to shiney shiney with out the need of autosol. :D

Question, why brace only the top when doing the bottom can look so gorgeous too?
I thought about under bracing, but I thought a thin brace may look a little lost on it's own underneath.

Not bad. Did you machine the brace yourself?
Yes I bent it up out of 19mm x 3mm box section. I had to make a former for a bending tool and managed to get it about right on the second atempt.