PDA

View Full Version : Whats needed as a basic tool kit?

tommo891
26-03-10, 07:04 PM
Can anybody give me an idea of what type of tools i might need to make up a basic kit, really not to sure what i need and if I ask in a shop I probably work out with a full workshop....

cheers in advance

Tommo

BBadger
26-03-10, 07:08 PM
For the sv.

Good socket set and Allen key. The all in ones are quite good as they normally come with all of that and screwdriver heads, ratchet, tommy bar and other bits that are always usefull.

Might need somthing bigger to do the chain adjustment though.

simesb
26-03-10, 07:10 PM
Allen keys, screwdrivers, simple metric socket set, and some small spanners and you can do most jobs. (you can do many without the socket set) Add torx, torque, more spanners, more sockets, more everything as you need them.

Don't get cheap **** - they frustrate you and need replacing (generally). You don't need pro tools though, unless you do a lot.

tommo891
26-03-10, 07:15 PM
Thanking you very much chaps, I just cant part with £50 again just for so little work....my luck i'll probably break something...lol

speedplay
26-03-10, 07:25 PM
A can of air repair, a mobile phone and an rac membership card is all I carry.

simesb
26-03-10, 07:27 PM
A can of air repair, a mobile phone and an rac membership card is all I carry.

I wouldn't carry a full tool box on the bike either :D

speedplay
26-03-10, 07:29 PM
I do the work on my dirtbike ok, but don't even consider doing my roadbike.
Basic things like chain lube etc I'll do but any other work needing doing, I get it booked in.

tommo891
26-03-10, 07:36 PM
slight mistake i meant just for basic tinkering nowt big thats what ive got roadside cover for...

BBadger
26-03-10, 07:44 PM
Nope for the tinkering you'd be surprised how many spanners and allen keys you'll need.

gfewster
26-03-10, 08:06 PM
Your tool collection is something that will just grow uncontrollably, at least it will if it's anything like mine. Been tinkering with cars for about 10 years, bikes are more recent, and I have more tools than I can shake a stick at.... but for some reason I always seem to find something I need and don't have when I'm in a shop!

Halfords stuff is generally pretty good, although a little expensive for what it is. Probably the best value is online from places like MachineMart. I've found that brands don't matter a great deal, as long as you get something reasonable (i.e. not made in China). Really bling stuff like Snap-On just isn't worth the money in my opinion, although if you were a professional I'm sure it might make a difference in longevity.

I have a mixture of expensive brands, cheaper brands and one or two bits and pieces that are pretty cheap tat. But I've never broken a tool through normal use - only once or twice through using it for something it wasn't designed for or with excess force.

Essentials to start with if you want to start doing your own servicing and tinkering:

Socket set (3/8 or 1/2 drive, doesn't really matter)
Set of screwdrivers
Hex bits to fit socket set or allen keys
Combination spanners
Torque wrench
Pliers (ordinary, needle nose, mole grips)

Just try not to get addicted to buying tools like I did. Next on my list is one of those fancy toolchests on castors with ball bearing-equipped drawers...... I feel my collection deserves better than a motley collection of toolboxes, bags and shelf space!

Holdup
26-03-10, 08:19 PM
I think Petevtwin showed the tool kit he carried in a thread once, it contained new levers and all sorts

no_akira
30-03-10, 09:40 AM
After slagging off the basic Suzuki tool kit in a thread a few months back. About how the tools included seemed like they were for a different bike. Attached is a photo of a "the Road Trip" tool set that i've been putting together since then. I got the final 3/8" 'T' bar and extensions at the tool stand at the excel show in Feb. It all fits in the SV black plastic tool bag.

x4 allen bit sizes in a orange holder from Halfords (£1)
- 3/8" to 6.5mm hexagon adapter
- 3/8" 'T' bar, 3" extension, 6" extension (£2.50)
x3 3/8" sockets ( 12mm, 10mm, 8mm)

vw reversible screwdriver -/+ (classic tool - lucky pants tool !)

Tyre pressure gauge

x2 spanners + extension for rear wheel bolt ( 22mm, 17mm)

x2 spanners (14mm) for rear caliper tension bar bolt.

x2 spanners (13mm,12mm,10mm,8mm for caliper bleed screw)

Not included in picture but kept under seat is x2 8" lengths of PVC tubing for bleeding.

I think thats almost everything...:geek:

tommo891
30-03-10, 10:18 AM
After slagging off the basic Suzuki tool kit in a thread a few months back. About how the tools included seemed like they were for a different bike. Attached is a photo of a "the Road Trip" tool set that i've been putting together since then. I got the final 3/8" 'T' bar and extensions at the tool stand at the excel show in Feb. It all fits in the SV black plastic tool bag.

x4 allen bit sizes in a orange holder from Halfords (£1)
- 3/8" to 6.5mm hexagon adapter
- 3/8" 'T' bar, 3" extension, 6" extension (£2.50)
x3 3/8" sockets ( 12mm, 10mm, 8mm)

vw reversible screwdriver -/+ (classic tool - lucky pants tool !)

Tyre pressure gauge

x2 spanners + extension for rear wheel bolt ( 22mm, 17mm)

x2 spanners (14mm) for rear caliper tension bar bolt.

x2 spanners (13mm,12mm,10mm,8mm for caliper bleed screw)

Not included in picture but kept under seat is x2 8" lengths of PVC tubing for bleeding.

I think thats almost everything...:geek:

Cheers mate

Ratty
30-03-10, 10:45 AM
You will need a 12mm male hex for front wheel removal ( plus a paddock stand and trolley jack ). I bought a 3/8" drive Draper 12mm hex sump plug tool for this which will fit straight on your torque wrench. Spot on.

Ratty

flymo
30-03-10, 10:49 AM
Your tool collection is something that will just grow uncontrollably, at least it will if it's anything like mine.

Yeah, I have a tool that just grows uncontrollably too, it can get fairly embarrasing ;-)

Flameboy
30-03-10, 10:49 AM
40 piece socket set and Allen keys all shoved into a camel pack that fits into the boot nicely, that's what i take (not that I'd know what to do if anything went wrong) :o

elkieboy
31-03-10, 09:45 AM
I just bought this from halfords £100 off at the moment which is a good starting point .

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_17 3083_langId_-1_categoryId_165572