PDA

View Full Version : just been hit by a bus.

tommo891
27-03-10, 05:33 PM
not much to it really i was turning right at a junction might i add in the middle of town so no more than 20mph, and the bus stopped so I moved off then just as i was clearing the junction the bus pulled off and hit me, i went flying into a crowd ended up with a 6 year old in my arms as i slammed into pizza hut, i hit the glass hard, the young girl was crying but fine indicator spacer broke and the rest of the bike was fine not even a scratch and the bike was dragged, a witness said the bus pulled off really fast and hit my back end and i was flying through the air, but no harm done, my hips alittle sore but the larger is making me better now, about 10 people have my email with pictures so I will put them up once ive got them, but if anything does come of it lots of witnesses said it was his fault, and ive got names and addresses......poor little girl was shaking....

ChrisSV
27-03-10, 05:37 PM
Damm bus drivers eh?
glad your ok mate, and your bike too (mostly) and glad the little girls ok
lets hope it dont ever happen again

keith_d
27-03-10, 05:41 PM
Not many folks can say they were hit by a bus and walked away.

Glad you're OK,

Keith

tommo891
27-03-10, 05:42 PM
just glad the bike made it you wouldnt believe how far the bike went and not even a nick nothing, nothing at all just the indicator but i fixed that with a piece of card, picked the bike up went home grab are lass and went for food with some friends, and now im home thinking its all starting to sink in..

Amanda
27-03-10, 05:45 PM
Crikey well done for not doing more damage mate. Sad about the little girl, hope she's OK now.

tommo891
27-03-10, 05:54 PM
bless the lass her mum was terrified

maviczap
27-03-10, 06:02 PM
Not many folks can say they were hit by a bus and walked away.

Glad you're OK,

Keith

I've had a one on one battle with a bus, of course the bus won and I have the scars to show. However I'm still here

Glad you're ok chap and I hope the little girl is ok now :shaking:

ArtyLady
27-03-10, 06:34 PM
Very frightening! :( lucky escape for you and the little girl thank goodness!

jamesterror
27-03-10, 06:42 PM
Glad to hear you're okay mate, bus drivers can be very ignorant whether its their right of way or not as I'm sure people are aware. (Stereotypical, but blame your colleagues if you're a bus driver)

robh539
27-03-10, 06:43 PM
glad your ok matey, lucky escape for you and ant the little lass. Take it easy :)

If you do have to claim from them, the bus company will never contest it, or grad it out. they should just cough up. They do here and a mate is a bus driver that told me that

the_lone_wolf
27-03-10, 06:46 PM
...a witness said the bus pulled off really fast and hit my back end......

Should be able to outrun a bus, even on an SV;)

Glad to hear nobody was injured, anything bigger than a car doesn't normally end too well:(

ceeshaw
27-03-10, 06:47 PM
Good save!

I had my car wing mirror obliterated by an oncoming double decker bus a couple of years back. I was making my way into Richmond (Surrey) through Petersham, cars parked both sides, bus came around the bend... *he's gonna stop behind that row of parked cars and wait for me to pass 'cos surely he can see there's nowhere for me to go?*... nope! He swerves well into my lane - nowhere for me to go - and BANG - mirror smashed into tiny pieces - nothing to pick up!

Only later did it dawn on me... a couple more inches and he'd have driven who knows how many tons of bus over my old Peugeot 306. W****r!!

Richie
27-03-10, 06:49 PM
some people will do anything to get to the front of the queue in Pizza Hut...

No ... very glad your ok and so is that young lassie. ;-)

cuffy
27-03-10, 06:52 PM
Don't suppose you noticed if this was still on?

TUSCANI FOR YOU
Any For You starter or side & any Tuscani pizza or individual Tuscani pasta. £8.99*

GWS

tommo891
27-03-10, 07:11 PM
chuckle chuckle, you should have seen the diners in pizza hut, true fear, lots of floppy pizza slices..think i might phone the bus company..

tommo891
27-03-10, 07:15 PM
Should be able to outrun a bus, even on an SV;)l:(

Ego proper hurting right now..:smt088:smt088:smt088:smt088the shame, all I can say is it was a go faster bus one of them really fast ones:-dd:-dd:-dd

cbay
27-03-10, 07:21 PM
Glad your ok and the bike.

You going to call and moan at bus company??

tommo891
27-03-10, 07:25 PM
Glad your ok and the bike.

You going to call and moan at bus company??

I think I might i did get a crack on the plastic air vent attachment on the back of the helmet never know, half expecting them to tell me were to go but worth ago..:smt024

the_lone_wolf
27-03-10, 07:29 PM
I think I might i did get a crack on the plastic air vent attachment on the back of the helmet never know, half expecting them to tell me were to go but worth ago..:smt024

If the bus hit you from behind there's not much they could argue that it was your fault

You might be surprised, I was amazed how easy it was to claim the cost of repairs when an unsecured barrier blew over my car at some roadworks

It may take time, but the "where there's blames there's a claim" culture does make it easy to claim when you have genuine cause..

tommo891
27-03-10, 07:34 PM
will phone them monday

Shellywoozle
27-03-10, 07:50 PM
Bl**dy hell glad you and bike are ok, good excuse for a night on the beer to numb the aches :)

Specialone
27-03-10, 07:58 PM
Glad your ok dude, fooking buses, p1ss me off, thing they own the place :(

MattCollins
27-03-10, 08:03 PM

Sounded like a bit of an adventure.

Guess you don't need to be reminded that if your helmet took a hit (sounds like it did) then it is a throw away.

tommo891
27-03-10, 08:30 PM
was wanting a new helmet anyway, got one in matt black (dont know why) was thinking a blue siren that might help....

the_lone_wolf
27-03-10, 08:48 PM
...was thinking a blue siren that might help....

You mean one that goes:

"GETTTOOUUTTAATHAAWAAYY MOOTTHEERRRFFFUUCCCKKKERRRR YYYYOOOUOUUU FFFUUUUCCKKKKIIINNNGG CUUUUNTTTTTTT"

?

;)

tommo891
27-03-10, 08:56 PM
You mean one that goes:

"GETTTOOUUTTAATHAAWAAYY MOOTTHEERRRFFFUUCCCKKKERRRR YYYYOOOUOUUU FFFUUUUCCKKKKIIINNNGG CUUUUNTTTTTTT"

?

;)

MINT, you know its funny, I thought I'd be allot angryer about this i was canny polite to the bus driver right up till he said well it was your fault, he dropped that claim when half the crowd said "WHAAAAAAT", im normally much more in ya face, but not today, think it shock me abit..

gruntygiggles
27-03-10, 09:07 PM
Tommy....I'm very glad you're ok, but if the bus hit you that hard....why don't you take the bike to a local garage (bike) on Monday as well and get them to have a quick check of the frame.

Deffo call the company, you need a new helmet and need to get the bike back to it's pre-impact condition.

Better safe than sorry and all that, oh and I say have the frame checked because my ex's dad dropped rode into a wall at 15mph once and that did something to the frame or shocks....can't remember off the tp of my head!

Chill out this eveing and it'll be interesting to see the pics!

sunshine
27-03-10, 09:15 PM
you will have a bruise or two tomorrow i bet, gws.

I have heard of hitting to town to go on the pull, but that girl sounds too young and you took the hitting part to literal :D

tommo891
27-03-10, 09:15 PM
was kind of hoping someone would have sent me some pictures by now

tommo891
27-03-10, 09:18 PM
I have heard of hitting to town to go on the pull, but that girl sounds too young and you took the hitting part to literal :D

Couple of years older than my daughter, i feel terrible, i bet she has nightmares..

tommo891
27-03-10, 09:19 PM
she probably thought i was a power ranger coming to get her

sunshine
27-03-10, 09:27 PM
nothing you could do really, her mother could claim from the bus drivers insurance as well, if she is traumatized by it.

i want to see these pictures did you damage the bus?

tommo891
27-03-10, 09:30 PM
not likely im an hgv driver and crushed a car with not a scrap of damage

sunshine
27-03-10, 09:34 PM
my mate put his zx12r under a bus and there was a more damage to the bus than the bike, the bike only had a few scratches on the fairing, and the bus needed a new floor and crap under the bus replacing apparently (the bus company claimed on his insurance for more damage than we saw), but it was my mates fault for being one of those weekend warriors and being stupid.

tommo891
27-03-10, 09:40 PM
thought someone might have sent one of these picture by now, might have to get some cctv footage was in the centre of town and for some who know at the top of the big market

Ch00
27-03-10, 10:37 PM
Does the bus not have CCTV on board?

gruntygiggles
27-03-10, 10:41 PM
Does the bus not have CCTV on board?

Squirrel_Hunter said that would be quite interesting to look at!

Ch00
27-03-10, 10:53 PM
Squirrel_Hunter said that would be quite interesting to look at!

My error. I thought he was taking about other CCTV.

carternd
28-03-10, 01:14 AM
Good Lord! You're a lucky get! Good news you're ok and I hope the little girl laughs it off. They usually do though.

Busus seem to operate under rather more liberal rules with pulling away than other people. I used to have to get buses, and most of the drivers were b***monkeys.

thulfi
28-03-10, 01:19 AM
Glad to hear you're in one piece! Bus drivers here in London on the whole are ok, but then you get the tools who just pull out without checking. Double decker death machines.

tommo891
28-03-10, 12:34 PM
Im starting to think i gave out the wrong email address, not a single picture back yet, will phone the old bill and see if they can get some cctv footage, i was in the bigmarket so someone or something should have seen it happen..

gruntygiggles
28-03-10, 12:35 PM
Also give them the names and addresses you got of all the witnesses. How are your hips feeling today?

BomBalong
28-03-10, 12:52 PM
sorry to hear about the off mate, ive had the same type of thing happen to me a few times, most bus drivers seem to have the same " im bigger than you, get out my way " driving style. (sorry if anyone here is a bus driver)

tommo891
28-03-10, 12:53 PM
there fine today thanks was out on the bike from 09:00 till 13:00 and didnt really feel it to much it is stiff but no bruising, just glad i was on the bike today and not on a cold slab..

Not to sure what to do about this accident, cant be bothered to claim, I just want the pictures from the witnesses, should I inform my insurance company or just leave it..?I mean am I meant to tell them even though im not going to do anything about it..

Dave20046
28-03-10, 01:09 PM
I'd bloody claim, new lid and indicators are something you shouldn't have to pay for if it's his fault.
Like GG said (i think) buses tend to have a video rolling on board of what's happening in front of them, well newer ones anyway, for insurance reasons/crashes - should make a good watch! pulling over,setting off, SPLAT.

Hope yer feelin ok

sunshine
28-03-10, 01:15 PM
surely the police should of been informed of his driving without due care and attention? its worth claiming a new £200 lid off him and to have the bike looked for damage you cant see, get a new indicator put on, they can polish the bike up with its in the dealership as well.

TightRS
28-03-10, 03:50 PM
How to request CCTV footage

You have the right to access images of yourself that may have been recorded by a CCTV camera system. This is because the Data Protection Act of 1998 means that public bodies like local councils need to make any personal data available to you if you request it. Personal data is information that relates to an individual and is held by the public body.

You will need to make a request in writing to the owner of the CCTV system. The details of the owner are usually written on a sign attached to the camera. You will need to give them enough information to identify you, for example a specific date and time, and a description of yourself and your clothing. They may charge you a fee of up to £10 for a copy of the footage.

If you contact a public body that holds CCTV footage of you, they must give you a copy of those images within 40 days. They may send you an edited version of the CCTV footage to protect the identities of other people shown in the footage.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/WhereYouLive/SaferStreets/DG_10034524

gruntygiggles
28-03-10, 04:20 PM
I think it should be pursued because there are some people that don't learn from their mistakes and next time, the rider/pedestrian may not be so lucky!

tommo891
28-03-10, 05:52 PM
will call the bus company in the morning..

tommo891
28-03-10, 05:56 PM
tester

Geodude
28-03-10, 06:14 PM
That pizza hut is just down the road from the ann summers shop, thats why the bus driver was'nt looking where he was going ;) Glad you ok mate could have been nasty. IMO its worth reporting accident just incase bus driver tries to put a claim in against you, you never know these days.

RayRay
29-03-10, 08:55 AM
I thought you were meant to call the police if there was damage to road side property or injury?

Atleast i think that's what my mumma told me many moons ago.

tommo891
29-03-10, 10:35 AM
Just called the police and they have informed me that I dont need to report the incident to the to police, but it would be worth phoning the bus company, to see if the driver has put in a report, they also said I should call my insurance company to let them know..not sure if I want to call my insurance company, dont fancy being penalised for nothing..reference the cctv footage, the police said cctv footage can only be used by the police and I wouldnt be able to see any pictures or footage..still holding out for some pictures, but nothing has arrived yet..

tommo891
29-03-10, 10:37 AM
That pizza hut is just down the road from the ann summers shop, thats why the bus driver was'nt looking where he was going ;)

Thats about right mate...

ArtyLady
29-03-10, 11:13 AM
I think I'd be tempted to go more into it a little more in case the little girl may suffer some trauma after effects - not to mention you being out of pocket - just my thoughts?

tommo891
29-03-10, 08:44 PM
Hi Colin,

hope you and your bike are Ok after your argument with the bus. You
did a great job of protecting that little girl. stupid ****ing bus
driver.

here's the photos I took after the smash. if you need a witness for
any reason just give me a shout.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tommo891
29-03-10, 08:51 PM
how do i put picture on, there only of the bike on the floor, and you can see how far my bike was pushed..

gruntygiggles
29-03-10, 09:07 PM
Put them on photobucket and then just copy and paste the img over to your message on here...or ask someone who actually knows what they are doing as it took me a while to get it right...lol

tommo891
29-03-10, 09:17 PM
will have ago in the morning, half asleep at the mo littlen run me ragged today..

Kirkybhoy
29-03-10, 09:19 PM
glad to hear your ok. You should definately pursue a claim against the bus company. Helmet, damage to bike, jacket, personal injury ?
If you were at fault would they just walk away. I doubt it..

madcockney
29-03-10, 09:28 PM
Just called the police and they have informed me that I dont need to report the incident to the to police, but it would be worth phoning the bus company, to see if the driver has put in a report, they also said I should call my insurance company to let them know..not sure if I want to call my insurance company, dont fancy being penalised for nothing..reference the cctv footage, the police said cctv footage can only be used by the police and I wouldnt be able to see any pictures or footage..still holding out for some pictures, but nothing has arrived yet..

First of all sorry to here about you being hit by the bus, and me thinks that you are a very lucky bunny not to have been injured, or have caused injury to others.

I would contact the bus company and advise your insurance company. If possible get names and addresses from those around a the time, including any restaurant staff, even if they were only aware immediately afterwards. Then if either a personal injury, or unknown damage to your bike becomes apparent at least you have reported it, and if the other party, in this case the bus driver, hasn't it can indicate that they were at fault. If the child's parents decide to take action they may try take action against you, and you will probably need the contact with the police, bus company and insurers as proof that it was not your proof.

BTW I bet you told the police that you suffered no injuries and that is the main reason why they were not interested other than to tell you to contact the bus company and your insurers.

barwel1992
30-03-10, 02:45 AM
any luck with the picture ? if ure struggling just email it to me at dannybarwell@hotmail.com and i will stick it on photo bucket

sound all to common at the moment, a few of my mates have nearly been taken out by buses in the last few months

barwel1992
30-03-10, 10:49 AM
her we go the pics are very small must have been hotmail compressing them

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/barwell1992/CEA9.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo16/barwell1992/CECA.jpg

ps i did distort the plat for you