PDA

View Full Version : Reserve mileage and other odds and ends.

garynortheast
28-03-10, 12:58 PM
Could anyone tell me please, what sort of mileage I can expect from a 2000 curvy sport once the reserve light starts flashing?

Also be pleased to hear what sort of mpg people get generally from this model. The bike does appear to be pretty reasonable on fuel. I picked it up from Kidwely on Wednesday and rode back home via Camarthen/Cardigan/Aberystwyth/Machynlleth to a bit west of Welshpool. I then rode up to do a job in Penrhyndeudraeth yesterday and it was around Trawsfynydd before the reserve light started flashing.

Very pleased with it so far although I have one or two jobs to do before the summer.
1. New brake and clutch levers - ordered and awaiting delivery.
2. New front brake pads - fitted and calipers cleaned and appropriately greased.
3. Rear brake pads.
4. Weeping clutch cover O ring.
5. Possibly fork seals - a very slight and barely detectable smear of oil on the o/s leg although it has just passed an MOT.
6. New Free Flow end can.
7. Fender extender to be fitted.
8. Rear seat pod to be purchased and fitted.

That should keep me busy for a while.

I'm a pretty competent mechanic (I've stripped, rebuilt and serviced all my own bikes since 1972) but if anyone has any advice or comments for me as a new SV owner on any of the above tasks I'd be really pleased to hear about it. :thumbsup:

kellyjo
28-03-10, 01:28 PM
IIRC it is a 16 litre tank and once the light comes on there SHOULD be 3.5l left, however, from threads i've read on here i don't really trust that and always re-fill once the light is on!!

When i first got mine, having just passed my test and riding relatively sedately my light used to come on at 150-155 miles, but now i am more experienced and ride harder its usually about the 130 mark :-)

This is just my experience so please dont rely on it!!

KJ x

Alpinestarhero
28-03-10, 01:30 PM
wager on about 10 miles to a litre of fuel, when the light vomes on (13 litres of free space in the tank) you'll have 30 miles safely left. In any case, there is (apparnetly) a time when the fuel light will just stay on, instead of just winking at you in its erotic manner

sam anon
28-03-10, 09:58 PM
I've had 205 miles from a tank (same bike as yours), but that was motorway riding, sticking religiously to 75mph to see if I could complete my journey on one tank.

I'd rather ride a bit faster and refuel, and that's from someone who recycles!

5hort5
28-03-10, 10:05 PM
mpg, U had 120 miles and then drained the tank to swap it and still had a couple of litres left but this was easy riding without very much if any full throttle, high rpm action.

Re No.4 the clutch cover:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=148268

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=142155

jonny.boyd
28-03-10, 11:15 PM
I'm getting anything between 150miles through to around 180miles to the tank for mixed motorway and town riding. Don't trust the blinking light one bloody bit! Mine started blinking then died 10-15 miles later! Dragged some crap through the carbs too so took a while to clear that through (should have heard the bangs!)

Needless to say I learnt my lesson

petevtwin650
29-03-10, 08:57 AM
I'm getting anything between 150miles through to around 180miles to the tank for mixed motorway and town riding. Don't trust the blinking light one bloody bit! Mine started blinking then died 10-15 miles later! Dragged some crap through the carbs too so took a while to clear that through (should have heard the bangs!)

Needless to say I learnt my lesson

If by blinking you mean flashing then that is right. There should be a solid light that comes on before the blinking on a curvy anyway. Used to get up to 40 miles after the light came on solid. It then flashes to let you know there is around 10 miles left. People tend to panic a bit when the see the fuel light first come on. You've got at least 20 miles after that before panic should set in! :D

phi-dan
29-03-10, 09:08 AM
Beware the flashing light of doooooooom.

The fuel sensor in the curvy is a 2 stage affair, with thermistors checking the fuel level. These can degrade / fail over time and not trip the first alert stage (the flashing light) until both thermistors are uncovered (which should by rights trip a solid light). There are many many fine members of the org who have been caught by this :(

petevtwin650
29-03-10, 09:14 AM

The fuel sensor in the curvy is a 2 stage affair, with thermistors checking the fuel level. These can degrade / fail over time and not trip the first alert stage (the flashing light) until both thermistors are uncovered (which should by rights trip a solid light). There are many many fine members of the org who have been caught by this :(

Oh damnit. Been a while since I had my curvy, so have gotten the sequence the wrong way around. Flashing first, then solid.

punyXpress
29-03-10, 09:19 AM
Pete - you cracking up?
Mine's exactly the opposite: flashing first ( gets me into all sorts of bother ) then solid
Burger, just seen yours but easier to press 'GO'

markc123
29-03-10, 09:28 AM
You can figure it out yourself:
Ride, wait for light to start flashing, fill up. Take the size of the tank, minus the fuel you just put in.

This should tell you what your bike thinks is reserve.

Rinse, repeat waiting till the solid light comes on.

By now you should also have an idea of what fuel economy it does, so you can get a good idea of the range for the blinky and solid lights. I have done 30 odd miles on solid - and it was just starting to play up when I found fuel. Now I fill up every 100 miles in the Highlands ;-)

petevtwin650
29-03-10, 09:42 AM
Pete - you cracking up?
Mine's exactly the opposite: flashing first ( gets me into all sorts of bother ) then solid
Burger, just seen yours but easier to press 'GO'

Tis my memory David. That's why I tend not to post on Sv stuff unless I have pictorial proof :( Thought I was on solid (or was that flashing) ground :rolleyes:

jonny.boyd
29-03-10, 12:24 PM
How easy are those sensors to replace?

yorkie_chris
29-03-10, 12:27 PM
Easy you just have to drain tank or take it off.

Common problem is one of the resistor "cans" falls off the rail.

ian505050
29-03-10, 06:17 PM
I did 70 miles at the weekend and used 15 litres when my light came on. But that was my sv1000. Not happy days

Alpinestarhero
29-03-10, 07:58 PM
I did 70 miles at the weekend and used 15 litres when my light came on. But that was my sv1000. Not happy days

I was about to post "whats wrong with your SV?" until I saw "sv1000"

lloyd_christmas
31-03-10, 05:13 PM
I do mostly town miles and the fuel light always comes on around 100 miles.

Does this sound right?

jonny.boyd
31-03-10, 06:31 PM
Town driving will always be more of a drain due to the stopping and starting and slow riding which reduces fuel economy. But if you want to be sure take the bike on a nice long drive on the motorway (on a nice sunny day when we eventually get one!!) and you should see yourself getting about 180 miles or so :)

mikelcfc
31-03-10, 06:36 PM
i get around 107 miles out of mine :)

lloyd_christmas
31-03-10, 07:22 PM
The only time I go on a long-ish run is a 97 miles round trip to Sheffield along A roads.

After one of those trips the light comes on at 110-115 miles, there is no way I would get anything like 180 miles.

Ceebl
01-04-10, 08:27 PM

I was caught out by my fuel light failing all together, after bike ground to a halt and a mate with a cannister of petrol rescued me (thanks warrenhewitt10 :p ) i got it to his garage and discovered that my upper sensor had in fact snapped off its bracket and was floating around in the petrol by its wire! a large lump of solder back onto the bracket swiftly solved that problem :D