PDA

View Full Version : Fairing repairs/plastic welding

jetfish
29-03-10, 03:47 PM
Hi guys,

Looking at buying an sv this coming weekend but it has a 5cm crack on the front fairing just above the headlight.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that can sort this type of damage. Im based in yorkshire so as near as possible to me would be great.

If any of you have ever had it done what were the results like and what type of costs are involved.

cheers

Nobbylad
29-03-10, 04:13 PM
Hello mate, there's a place near me does it, he fixed my front fairing/top cowl and left hand side plastics when I had my off. I think some pics of the damage are here http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php?p=1782371&postcount=40 (I can't see photo's in work).

For a fix up and respray, I reckon you're looking at around £75. I took my top cowl and rhs fairing up to him at the weekend as they're cracked/scuffed from an trackday off last year and he reckoned £100 to sort the crack on the top cowl, scuffs on the rhs fairing and re-spray + lacquer everything.

Alternatively, keep an eye out on ebay, a black top cowl went for £40 + £10 P&P at the weekend.

Specialone
29-03-10, 04:18 PM
I bought a new one (YAY) and having my old repaired to either keep or sell on, getting it done cheap though as my mate does all the detailing at the garage in swansea.
I paid £252 for my new nose cone from the dealer and looked for ages on ebay etc looking for a 2nd hand one, they are normally one of the casualties of an off so not that many around.
If one of them went for £40, thats a bargain, if im gonna sell mine and the repair is upto scratch im gonna be looking for around £150 for it tbh as it was only a gouge on r/h side and need to recover some costs.

Nobbylad
29-03-10, 04:46 PM
I too have a spare front cowl and a lhs fairing, was gonna sell them but decided to keep as spares.

jetfish
29-03-10, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the info folks, i wont let it put me off buying if the rest of the bikes ok. Start looking around for somone near me.

cheers

Nobbylad
29-03-10, 07:27 PM
Yeah...just make sure the rest of the bike is OK then haggle another £100 off whatever you were prepared to pay to sort out the fairing. Good luck!

Specialone
29-03-10, 08:35 PM
Yeah i may keep my nosecone actually, you never know when i will be stupid again ;)

Mej
29-03-10, 09:05 PM
i hear its not too hard to repair cracks urself, so im gonna give it a try and i will let you know how it pans out.

jcheetham123
03-04-10, 05:42 PM
I'm no expert but I do like to tinker - I used a product called PLASTECH from ebay about £9 - if you type plastech into you tube there is examples of repairs being made - i just followed that, ordered paint from rsbike paints and just got on with it.

The wife went mental as I used the dining room as my paint shop.

Ploppy
03-04-10, 09:16 PM
you can repair it yourself and save some £££. If you get down to halfords you can buy a fibre glass kit, use this as per instructions to repair the crack on the inside of the fairing, then get some plastic padding (plastic filler) and fill the gaps and then orbital sander to smooth it down. With the orbital sander you will need a a fine grade of pad to make sure the finish is is nice and smooth.

All this is quite time consuming so if time is an issue then im not a great help.... sorry :(