PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust wrap on front downpipe?

Jordy
18-07-10, 05:24 PM
Just a thought really... Is it worth covering the front downpipe with exhaust wrap? Mainly to prevent corrossion/road crud and prolong its life.
I know it doesn't look the best but it would save alot of cleaning and hopefully keep the downpipe nice for when you come to sell.

Typhoon
18-07-10, 05:31 PM
It would be fine if you only rode in the dry but after a couple of hundred wet miles riding it would look very shabby and the water stays against the pipes really making the problem worse.

Jordy
18-07-10, 05:42 PM
Ah yeah, good point that lol! Obviously wouldn't want to be replacing it too often due to cost. Unless the heat from the exhaust would dry off any water on/around the wrap, maybe leave it running 5-10 minutes after a wet journey?

liathich
18-07-10, 06:13 PM
You could get someone to make up a stainless steel guard similar to the guard on the exhaust under the footpeg, which fastened under manifold bolts and extended to where the pipe curves towards the underside of the engine? Just a thought.

Typhoon
18-07-10, 06:23 PM
I run it on my race bike and usually change it after a wet weekend.

Fender extenders get good press. Doesnt solve the problem but certainly helps.

Jordy
18-07-10, 06:26 PM
Yeah mine has a fender extender and I shall be fitting a pyramid bellypan sometime this week, which will hopefully help a bit too.

Berlin
18-07-10, 06:53 PM
I run it on my race bike and usually change it after a wet weekend.

What advantage does the wrapping give you? Always wondered.

Cheers, C

Typhoon
18-07-10, 06:57 PM
To be honest I use it to seperate the downpipe from the bodywork as it is quite a tight fit. Just stops the heat scortching the bellypan.

Berlin
18-07-10, 07:00 PM
Gotcha, thanks.

C

dizzyblonde
18-07-10, 07:16 PM
Polish the front downpipe and give it some TLC...much better than manky wraps.

However, I do need some exhaust wrap for the rear downpipe of my VRaptor, as they have a nice penchant for boiling their shocks, as the downpipe get so hot, and its placed in a very close proximity to the shock.
Apart from evilbay where do I find it, as they certainly don't cater for it in Halfrauds.

Jordy
18-07-10, 07:20 PM
Polish the front downpipe and give it some TLC...much better than manky wraps.

However, I do need some exhaust wrap for the rear downpipe of my VRaptor, as they have a nice penchant for boiling their shocks, as the downpipe get so hot, and its placed in a very close proximity to the shock.
Apart from evilbay where do I find it, as they certainly don't cater for it in Halfrauds.

Yeah think I will do, was just a thought.

Ah, well designed then lol.

http://www.exhaustwrapshop.com/default.aspx