PDA

View Full Version : tightening chain troubles

cringer
18-07-10, 09:30 PM
Tightening my chain today and rounded both adjuster nut's so I had to replace them and the near side triangular guide swivels a few mil when tightening it up.

So when you get both sides matched you tighten it and the nearside one moves. So it is impossible to get it accurate. The guide moves by half a guide mark on the swing arm which is really annoying. I've tried counting the threads for a bit more accuracy but can't help feeling it's not right.

So what are the effects of the rear wheel not being aligned? And if it was out by half a adjuster mark should I worry?

Also is there a way to make the nearside adjuster stable so it doesn't swivel?

Ta.

gruntygiggles
18-07-10, 09:32 PM
And now it makes sense...lol.

Someone with brains will be along soon to help you, but better to post and ask than leave it to chance :-)

rictus01
18-07-10, 09:38 PM
the swing arm marks aren't that acurate anyway and I'd normally use a different method for checking, however saying that, it general riding you probably won't notice anything to much, you'll find it turns in a little sharper one way than the other, a quick tip is to check the teeth on the rear sprocket for wear on one side or the other as the top sprocket is straight in the frame so you should be able to see any off set.

Cheers Mark.