PDA

View Full Version : blowing main fuse(30amp)

svrush
18-07-10, 09:59 PM
PLEASE HELP. Main fuse is blowning on start up.Prior to this bike running fine starting first time ever time.were do i start looking i'm at my wits end and not enjoying the walking.PLS PLS HELP..................:(:(:smt078

rictus01
18-07-10, 10:01 PM
bike model year, mileage, any other mods, when did it start, how many times has it blown?

give us a clue mate.

svrush
18-07-10, 10:11 PM
SV650 year 2000 mileage16000 no mods, started only one week ago fuse blown the once but keeps blowning when trying to replace.

rictus01
18-07-10, 10:26 PM
as soon as you put it in? or when you turn the ignition on? or when you press the start switch ?

svrush
18-07-10, 10:30 PM
most times when you put it in and on one occasion replaced fuse,started bike ran for 5sec then fuse blow.

TSM
18-07-10, 10:36 PM
SV650 year 2000 mileage16000 no mods, started only one week ago fuse blown the once but keeps blowning when trying to replace.

look on left side of the bike where wiring loom goes behind the frame under the seat, there is a well known issue where it wears though the insulation of the wires, on later models they put a thick peice of plastic behind there to stop that happening

Lozzo
18-07-10, 11:16 PM
We had an SV in at work with the same problem, turned out to be the reg/rec wires chafing on the coil bracket. That was on a K9.

rictus01
18-07-10, 11:33 PM
there is also an known issue of the seat retaining bolt cutting into the loom, which might be worth a look, also the where the loom wraps over the subframe, but if it blows the fuse without being turned on, then I'd check the actual starter solenoid, under the righthand (sitting on the bike) side cover there is a green coverd box thing (where you've been fitting the 30amp fuse), remove the central plug and check the condition of the terminals inside, I've had two where water has got in and shorted the relay inside, it's actually sealled, but you can check it with a meter.

Cheers Mark.

dizzyblonde
19-07-10, 07:37 AM
I gather this ones the nakid?
On the faired there is a connector block under the left fairing which hangs off the headlights, the red wire in particular is the one that causes this to happen as its a direct line to the battery, clocks and other stuff, happens as its all green with corrosion. If you wiggle it about, the rev counter bounces all over as it connects and disconnects. Its a bit of a pain carefully pulling out the terminal but can be done to clean it up.
I know as it took six months of stripping a newly built SV because it just kept blowing main fuses and we couldn't find it for toffee. Had to ride around with a bag of main fuses as it was so intermittent. Sometimes it would blow moving an inch, sometimes I could ride 200 miles!
Not too sure where you'd find this on the nakid but presume it will be in the same vicinity as the headlight loom.

gjscott
12-04-16, 04:10 AM
2002 SV650N
I just pulled off the highway (I live in California) and had stopped to look at my phone map, and when I tried to start the bike there was no power.
I got out to tool kit, looked at the battery connections and the fuses, all OK. Then looked inside the headlight and checked all the connections, everything looked OK.
Finally pulled the cover off the solenoid and saw a 30A fuse I hadn't seen before, pulled it, and it was blown.
Stood scratching my head for a moment thinking that leaving the bike out at the weekend in the rain caused the problem. So, I pushed the bike to a nearby gas station, got a fuse of the kind Vietnamese mechanic, and borrowed his airline to blow any water out of the ignition switch.
Replaced the fuse, and the bike started.
So, off I went, for about 100 yards and it popped again. Got another fuse, and another fuse etc then called a recovery truck.

When I got home I found this thread, and low and behold, found the seat bracket on the left side had been rubbing and the thick orange wire was shorting to ground.
Haven't fixed it yet, but according the the circuit diagram. this thick orange wire shorting to ground would blow that fuse, so I'm pretty confident.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-afiXPnycf0k/Vwx16Fi6Q3I/AAAAAAAA1n0/Rhd9Rvrq9LMe3cGw_GgxqnMufNgdyVGEACCo/s576-Ic42/2016-04-11%2B005.JPG

gjscott
12-04-16, 05:07 PM
See my post above, that was the issue.

I wrapped the wire with insulation tape and shrouded the harness in that location with some sleeving and cable ties.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QOrntihGKU0/Vw2stNrHE7I/AAAAAAAA1r0/3-_8QPSYqBU4DvM-CtKdUTu5I2PpmJejwCCo/s720-Ic42/2016-04-12%2B002.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-VYLibBYs8VQ/Vw2sslltKQI/AAAAAAAA1ro/StSbrXFU1TsLdwSGaBOUpDV1O50k8hE8QCCo/s576-Ic42/2016-04-12%2B001.JPG