PDA

View Full Version : Blowing exhaust on front Cylinder

pauljeff
19-07-10, 11:33 AM
My exhaust is blowing on the front cylinder.

The clamp plate is corroded, and bent, and there looks to be a type of steel olive that is severely corroded, and flapping in the breeze. I changed the gasket a couple of weeks ago which seemed to solve the problem, but a few hundred miles later, it has recurred.

The clamp and olive must have been put on prior to welding the manifold together, as they will not come off.

Do I need to get an new exhaust section, or has anybody come up with an ingenious solution?

husky03
19-07-10, 11:49 AM
ten quid on ebay for a used replacement - simple and quick option

pauljeff
20-07-10, 08:23 AM
I looked at the front down pipe on ebay for a tenner, and the only way I can make that work is if I cut my existing exhaust and put a connection in. I probably didn't make myself clear because I don't know all the terminology; I have a high end can, and what I think must be a re-routed system. Looking at all the pictures of exhaust systems on ebay they seem to have a joint between the front down pipe and the link pipe (which I referred to as a manifold), mine is one pipe.

So in addition to my original question, has anyone re-instated a connection in an exhaust system?

husky03
20-07-10, 08:24 AM
post a pic mate so we can see what you've got

pauljeff
20-07-10, 08:28 AM
Ok, I will do, I forgot to take my camera home last night, and is it a bit of a nightmare trying to describe it!

Razor
20-07-10, 10:06 AM
sounds like you an aftermarket exhaust, maybe full system... if that's corroded and causing the leak, you need a whole new exhaust