PDA

View Full Version : Higher spring rate on later bikes?

mikerj
19-07-10, 04:15 PM
A work colleague has just bought himself an '06 SV650S with about 14k miles on the clock. After comparing with my '05 with 3600 miles on it, his rear suspension is significantly firmer, despite mine being wound up to full pre-load and his only halfway. The shock and spring look completely standard, same as mine. Did they change the spring rates on the later models?

andrewsmith
19-07-10, 04:17 PM
has it not been swapped with a hagon or similar unit?

jambo
19-07-10, 04:36 PM
has it not been swapped with a hagon or similar unit?
This would look significantly different.

Spring rate and damping are seperate, most people percieve a shock to be stiff / soft based more on the damping than the spring rate. Preload does not change either the spring rate or the damping, but just where, in the available travel a shock absorber sits for a given load. Useful to accomodate a pillion and luggage so the shock doesn't bottom out everywhere, but that's about it. It is, however, much quicker than re-springing the shock before letting someone sit on the back.:)

My guess is that your shock is probably getting past its best, and his is still closer to the performance it was when it left the factory. You can either try to obtain a newer OE example of the shock, or look at a replacement from the likes of Hagon which is rebuildable, unlike the OE item.

HTH

Jambo

Out of interest, wind your pre-load back to the halfway point, in case you're having problems with the shock topping out.

yorkie_chris
19-07-10, 05:00 PM
Spring rate is same as far as I know. Just pushing on it doesn't tell you much TBH.

andrewsmith
19-07-10, 05:54 PM
Spring rate is same as far as I know. Just pushing on it doesn't tell you much TBH.

apart from kaput!! :smt110

mikerj
19-07-10, 07:37 PM
We both sat on each others bikes and the sag on mine was noticeably greater. The bike is otherwise in virtualy showroom condition, barely a mark on it so I'd be surprised if the OE shock has significantly degraded in 3600 miles (though clearly they aren't exactly great to start with). Ho hum, just means I feel even more justified in bining the old unit and fitting something decent.