PDA

View Full Version : Increasing BHP of Pointy SV?

Lost@Home
21-07-10, 02:47 PM
Hello everyone,

I've recently bought a SV650 SK3, only mod I know of is a Carbon Co Can Exhaust other than than its just mini flashers and what not.

I'd like to know what the options are for getting a bit more BHP out of the bike. I'm not looking to spend mega bucks, somewhere between £500 and £1000 maybe.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Off topic I know but...
I also have a Cat C written off (Front end smack, twisted forks cracked fairing etc) K4 that's going to be up for sale soon if I can't find a use for the parts myself. Let me know if your interested in the whole thing or parts!

bengrrr
21-07-10, 02:50 PM
Not sure much on the BHP increase but surly that moneys best spent on a good can and Power Commander?

the_lone_wolf
21-07-10, 02:51 PM
I'd like to know what the options are for getting a bit more BHP out of the bike. I'm not looking to spend mega bucks, somewhere between £500 and £1000 maybe.

1. Sell it, take the proceeds and the £1k

2. Buy an older R1

3. ???

4. Profit

:cool:

Lost@Home
21-07-10, 03:02 PM
lol I'm not ready for an R1, I was planning on a R6 for my next bike though.

TBH I don't even know what a power commander is or what it actually does. I'm just looking for anything that will give the bike a bit more power but I don't really know what the options are.

I've been told SV650's have a bhp of 71 and Bandit 650's are around 83bhp. I recently had a 650 Bandit as a courtesy and it did seem to be more powerful, I prefer the Sv as a bike and would just like to try bring the power level up to that of a Bandit.

cb1000rsteve
21-07-10, 03:03 PM
Just save your money. No mod is that good.
If you really want to spend ya money maybe make it breathe better with a filter and fuel right with a dyno & PCIII. If you really want lots more power get a gixxer or something simialar. The SV is built to a budget and part of that budget will be the suspension brakes etc. 'power is nothing without control'

MR UKI (1)
21-07-10, 03:05 PM
Swop it for the Bandit :D

andrewsmith
21-07-10, 03:13 PM
save the cash, my sv is getting suspension mods and a exhaust at most.

if thinking mods bmc air filter and a re-jet

independentphoto
21-07-10, 03:20 PM
How bad are the lowers on your K4? Badly cracked etc to the extent that you'd be ashamed to ask anything other than postage? I'm currently looking for a spare set that will be held together with high vis reflective material anyway, so condition can be pretty bad.

TBH, Unless you're intent on having an accident or losing yoour license, I'd stick with all the lovely torque of the SV. For a wee bit more acceleration, you could change the final gearing via different chain and sprockets.

All the best,
Garry

fizzwheel
21-07-10, 03:25 PM

I wouldnt bother. Spend your money on suspension upgrades and that way you'll get more from the bhp you already have.

otherwise Full exhaust system, some kind of performance filter, and then use a power commander to remap the fueling will give you a hanfull more bhp. But its alot of money for not much more bhp.

Biker Biggles
21-07-10, 03:56 PM
Basic cheap suspension mods and putting both bike and rider on a diet are cost effective as is lowering the gearing a bit.Engine wise I wouldnt know,but informed opinion seems to be you spend lots and get very little.85 BHP is gettable,but you would need a big bore kit and a deep wallet.

bengrrr
21-07-10, 04:23 PM
TBH I don't even know what a power commander is or what it actually does. I'm just looking for anything that will give the bike a bit more power

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/PowerCommander/powercommander_iii_usb.aspx

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommander_iii_usb.aspx?mk=13&mdl=96&yr=2007

If you want to spend to dosh then thats what will give it to you but i'd save it like everyone else says its not really worth it. If you want a good V engine sports then......

http://www.triumphchepassione.com/honda/SP-2/vtr-sp2.jpg

DaveW_42
21-07-10, 04:42 PM
I heard that the suzuki ECUs are reprogrammable so a power commander isn't neccersary...

yorkie_chris
21-07-10, 04:44 PM
I wouldnt bother. Spend your money on suspension upgrades and that way you'll get more from the bhp you already have.

otherwise Full exhaust system, some kind of performance filter, and then use a power commander to remap the fueling will give you a hanfull more bhp. But its alot of money for not much more bhp.

+1 about suspension.

Best power mod you can do for money is fit bored oversize throttle bodies, $350.

yorkie_chris
21-07-10, 04:44 PM
http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/PowerCommander/powercommander_iii_usb.aspx

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommander_iii_usb.aspx?mk=13&mdl=96&yr=2007

If you want to spend to dosh then thats what will give it to you but i'd save it like everyone else says its not really worth it. If you want a good V engine sports then......

http://www.triumphchepassione.com/honda/SP-2/vtr-sp2.jpg

Power commander does not do sh*t unless you have mods to make it need fuelling changed.

cb1000rsteve
21-07-10, 04:49 PM
The standard SV650 fueling is sh*t!!! a PC would definately make it fuel better which sometimes finds the odd horse here and there. everytime i get off my honda onto it i think its broken!!!

Jayneflakes
21-07-10, 04:49 PM
What about fitting the 1000cc lump in place of the 650?

If you're very lucky you might find a cheap good engine, but is it really worth the time and effort? Especially when a good GSXR is so easy to get... :D

So says the girl with the 33BHP restriction ;-)

jamesterror
21-07-10, 04:50 PM
If you want to keep with a V-twin... a mille? :)

yorkie_chris
21-07-10, 05:00 PM
The standard SV650 fueling is sh*t!!! a PC would definately make it fuel better which sometimes finds the odd horse here and there. everytime i get off my honda onto it i think its broken!!!

If it's running right, there's nowt wrong with it.

Also you can do yosh box map, no need to add parts with PC3

You know what is involved in doing that?

andrewsmith
21-07-10, 05:02 PM

Cheaper to buy a TL thou, falco or mille and spend the saving with mods and tuning

cb1000rsteve
21-07-10, 05:05 PM
It runs fine its just on off throttle fueling is a dog. The honda pulls smooth from closed to open in every gear. They do know how to fuel a bike them boys

yorkie_chris
21-07-10, 05:05 PM
It runs fine its just on off throttle fueling is a dog. The honda pulls smooth from closed to open in every gear. They do know how to fuel a bike them boys

You would not say that comparing first of injected SRAD to first injected blade. Or comparing an SP1 to errr... a GS750 with loose spark plugs, an air leak and a dead ferret in the petrol tank.

Set your TPS. If your bike is set up properly it will be smooth.

cb1000rsteve
21-07-10, 05:23 PM
TPS???

yorkie_chris
21-07-10, 05:27 PM
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=55459

cb1000rsteve
21-07-10, 05:31 PM
thought it was Throttle postion sensor but i didn't have a clue i could adjust it!!! That how 2 thingy basically describes how my bike is on and off the throttle. cheers

yorkie_chris
21-07-10, 05:32 PM
So rather than h*nda being particularly good, it's just your bike that isn't running properly ;)

cb1000rsteve
21-07-10, 05:35 PM
It should be set up properly in the first place really!!! Stupid corner cutting cheapskates!!
The Honda is sublime though. It will pull 30mph in top with a passenger on. smooth oove
But i shouldn't really compare it to the little oh SV.

mjc
21-07-10, 06:12 PM
h*nda/suzuki slanging match aside... :rolleyes:

to the OP- spend your £500 on changing your final drive ratio, either by dropping a tooth on the front sprocket or going up a few on the rear. take the £490 change and spend it on beer and petrol.

changing gearing will improve acceleration at the expense of top speed. how often do you do 130mph? this will make a more noticable difference to than a couple more bhp.

yorkie_chris
22-07-10, 09:10 AM
Spend it all on suspension.

You will be so much faster on a well sorted chassis with a stock engine than on a stock chassis with a mildly tweaked engine.

Jayneflakes
22-07-10, 10:06 AM

Listen, I am just a sweet little girly (snigger :smt110 ) of course I don't know what is involved, but how hard can it be?

Actually, give me a few more months for my Restriction to end and we can find out. I have plans for my bike you see, I want to make it run on Bio Diesel and fairy farts! :rolleyes:

How easy is it to run two engines together? Could remove the rear seat and bolt it on there easily enough! #-o

In all seriousness, how much work is required to fit the 1000 in the 650 frame? Are the frame dimensions the same? I imagine that several up graded parts will be required to allow for the extra forces involved.

yorkie_chris
22-07-10, 10:50 AM
In all seriousness, how much work is required to fit the 1000 in the 650 frame? Are the frame dimensions the same? I imagine that several up graded parts will be required to allow for the extra forces involved.

Lots of work. Custom exhaust, adapter plates, all new EFI system.

toby_smith
22-07-10, 11:02 AM
On a bit of a tangent. If you go change the drive ratio, by either changing the size of the front or rear sprocket or both how much do you actually sacrifice at the top end.

So, for instance, if I was to go up a tooth on the rear sprocket, what would the loss in top end speed actually be?

I NEED FIGURES!!!! GIVE ME NUMBERS!

yorkie_chris
22-07-10, 11:04 AM
No loss in speed. It will not rev out in top to start with

Viney
22-07-10, 11:39 AM
h*nda/suzuki slanging match aside... :rolleyes:

to the OP- spend your £500 on changing your final drive ratio, either by dropping a tooth on the front sprocket or going up a few on the rear. take the £490 change and spend it on beer and petrol.

changing gearing will improve acceleration at the expense of top speed. how often do you do 130mph? this will make a more noticable difference to than a couple more bhp.No one odes, not on a stock SV anyway.

alexh
22-07-10, 11:53 AM
On a bit of a tangent. If you go change the drive ratio, by either changing the size of the front or rear sprocket or both how much do you actually sacrifice at the top end.

So, for instance, if I was to go up a tooth on the rear sprocket, what would the loss in top end speed actually be?

I NEED FIGURES!!!! GIVE ME NUMBERS!

Check out > http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Excellent website!, doesnt tell you the 0-60 times though! I have a 14 tooth sprocket waiting to be put on.

What about Cams? Someone must make some aggresive profiled cams? Might be rubbish for normal road usage but if you just want to rag the bike, excellent choice with a power commander K&N and full race exhaust + the dyno time shouldnt get much change, if any outa £1k though!