PDA

View Full Version : Uncomfortable on my SV.

sv richy
25-07-10, 03:54 PM
i bought my k5 sv about 5 week's ago and i have put up nearly 1100 mile's on it already. really happy with the bike. love the look of it, love the way it drive's/handle's and especially love the torque off the engine. but from day one of riding it, i'am getting really bad pain's in the palm of my hand's and really bad pain's on my inner thigh's. i put this down as just not being used to it. so iv been driving as much as possible to harden me up. (as Chopper Reid say's harden the **** up) but that hasn't worked. has anyone suffered any issue like this or could anyone recommend some modification's that might help me.in the handlebar and seat region. i'am not sure where to look.selling this bike is not an option,so i want to do what ever i can to make it as comfy as possible. cheer's for reading

Bibio
25-07-10, 04:04 PM
you might be suffering from 'straight arm syndrome' when riding try to get your forearm as parallel to the road as possible e.g. drop your elbows. this takes the weight off your wrists/hands. you may also be gripping the bars to tightly.

hongman
25-07-10, 05:13 PM
I hear stomp grips help a lot of people with this, maybe worth a looky.

I'll be getting some soon, just helps you to "grip" the tank dies that much easier, therefore helping you to relax your upper body.

husky03
25-07-10, 05:17 PM
don't grip as hard with your hands and alter you feet position on the pegs see if that helps you any-

husky

mattSV
25-07-10, 05:23 PM
Try angling the levers a few degrees downwards, they tend to be set quite high which can cause wrist pain.

Specialone
25-07-10, 05:37 PM
I had all the same symptons, i done a handlebar conversion in the end which helped a lot, ultimately though, i had to change in the end, as we couldnt get along.
Good bike though.
As soon as i get my shoulder looked at i could ride my st all day no probs, its really comfortable.

sv richy
25-07-10, 09:09 PM
cheer's for the tip's lad's.i was just out for a spin and i noticed that i don't hold the handlebars right. i kept gripping them properly but found my hand's going back to there natural position. there's too much of an angle on the bar's. tryed to adjust them out more parallel, but a large pin is locking them in place. i think the bar conversion is the only answer,but not too happy with the price.i'll just have to bite the bullet.i also toke the seat off and stuck one of the pillow's off the couch on it.what a difference, was over an hour on the bike and only had minor discomfort in my leg's . anyone lookin for a seat for a k5 sv haha.

daveb
25-07-10, 10:24 PM
Two words - Heli Bars :cool:

Specialone
26-07-10, 06:49 AM
cheer's for the tip's lad's.i was just out for a spin and i noticed that i don't hold the handlebars right. i kept gripping them properly but found my hand's going back to there natural position. there's too much of an angle on the bar's. tryed to adjust them out more parallel, but a large pin is locking them in place. i think the bar conversion is the only answer,but not too happy with the price.i'll just have to bite the bullet.i also toke the seat off and stuck one of the pillow's off the couch on it.what a difference, was over an hour on the bike and only had minor discomfort in my leg's . anyone lookin for a seat for a k5 sv haha.

Other things that have been mentioned before which all can help.
Make sure your gloves and cuffs on your jacket are loose ish as that can stop circulation.
Ride as much as possible with your forearms as parrallel to the road as possible.
Try lowering your footpegs, this can make it more comfortable.

Get a gel seat, plenty come up on ebay, this will stop the numb bum problem, or help a lot anyway.
The sv seat is extremely hard and uncomfortable imo.

Mannerheim
26-07-10, 10:05 AM
Also I have a problem with numb palm. Sometimes so bad that it makes braking difficult. At first (last summer) I thought it is because I lean too much front and weight is on the hands or grip too much. I tested to drive a lot with one hand (not possible to lean front as bike would turn) - did't have an effect so I don't lean forward. I tested to drive most of time so that fingers are open (not easy) and bought new bigger gloves - didn't help.

I bought one of these "throttle hand helpers" so that I can throttle with wrist:
http://www.biltema.fi/osteri/data/webpics_all/Web%20images%20Sorted/82/huge/82-427_h.jpg

Maybe helps a little bit.

I am thinking if this is caused by handlebar shaking or not optimal angles?

Looking at this discussion maybe shaking is not the reason as no-one says anything about it.

I don't understand why my left hand has almost no problem at all - if this is because shaking, angle, gripping or leaning, then this should be in both hands:confused:

I have found out that it helps a little bit if I drop my elbows. Maybe I am too long for this bike, 185cm.

... there's too much of an angle on the bar's. tryed to adjust them out more parallel ....

Do you mean too much angle when you look from upwards or behind the bike? I think there is too much angle when looking upwards.

dizzyblonde
26-07-10, 10:58 AM
The nack of having comfortable hands, arms and wrists is to make sure your levers are correctly positioned for you. Ideally, your elbows, wrists, and the back of your hands should all be inline with each other when you have your hands placed on the levers. If they are not, adjust accordingly, saving you pain, and money.

If you still get a little fuzziness in your hands, rather than going to extremes of paying loadsa dosh on new bars, perhaps a small amount on some heavyweight stainless bar ends could defuse it.

I don't have any issue with problems with hands, as I have correctly adjusted levers, and extra heavy bar ends. :-)

Oh yeah, and a Corbin seat on one SV and a OEM gel seat on the other!

independentphoto
26-07-10, 11:07 AM
Rich.

It's quite likely just you getting used to the bike and like many have said, being too tense. Pull those elbows downwards and inwards and rest your hand on the bars - don't grip firm. Dropping your elbows will also help with your rear mirrors. Also try to use your core muscles to hold yourself up rather than the arms. I had this when I first got the SV.

HTH
Garry

steve.w
26-07-10, 07:15 PM
I experienced hand pain (heel of my palm to be exact) on the SV. After trying lever positions etc to no avail, I came to the conclusion that if you have wide shoulders the bars put your hands in an unatural position.

sv richy
26-07-10, 08:01 PM
thank's for all your advise people,it's been interesting tweeking the bike and tweeking myself haha. i have adjusted a few thing's and tryed adjusting my riding style aswell but to not much joy unfort.bringing my arm's down level with the road, felt very uncomfortable and alot less confident. even after 30min's of trying it. in truth the bars will have to be raised up and straightened. that way ill be gripping them properly and my weight will be shifted back off my hand's. so new handlebars or handlebar conversion is in order. i love the sv, so i don't mind splashing out a few note's to get it perfect.it will be worth it in the end. my friend's sister does custom car interior's. she said she would redo the seat for me with softer foam,so finger's crossed i'l only have numb butt like the rest of ye. thank's again for the advise and link's. cheers

jacksuzukisv650
26-07-10, 08:02 PM
i was unconfotable on my sv until i got a gsxr lol

sv richy
26-07-10, 08:34 PM
haha not for a few year's jack, hopefully

GrahamB
26-07-10, 09:36 PM
The seat needs to be harder, not softer, and better shaped. I took the foam and cover from a GSXR and fitted it to the SV base.

I can ride 6hrs on a carbon bicycle seat with 3mm of padding, but 30mins on a stock SV seat was agony.

GagginForraPint
26-07-10, 10:06 PM
Get close and personal with the tank at low speeds, being more upright will take the weight of your wrists. Or just ride fast all the time.

metalhead19
26-07-10, 10:13 PM
Get close and personal with the tank at low speeds

But hit a speed bump and your ruined :rolleyes:

Jayneflakes
27-07-10, 02:12 PM
Being tense while in slow moving traffic always hurts my wrists and hands, so I have to relax my grip, shake out my hands a bit and just try to feel less tense all over.

Mind you, I am in the middle of a bar conversion for my SV.

Also for lower probems, I use cycle shorts on longer rides. New seat when I can afford it though.

Specialone
27-07-10, 04:41 PM
I found when i was on roads i didnt like or had the wife on the back my pains got worse, i think i got more tense and increased the death grip, i had to conciously tell myself to relax.