PDA

View Full Version : Yoke conversion Complete!

cb1000rsteve
26-07-10, 06:32 PM
Finished the Yoke conversion today.:D Took a total of 3 hours!!!
The worst bit was fitting the longer throttle cables. Fiddley as hell!!! Took me half hour to sort that out!!!:smt067
Then i went and snapped a banjo bolt :smt014as it stated between 14lb - 24lb torque so i opted for 20 as its not to high and the blighter snapped!!! Fortunately theres a hydralic place in the boro that had a spare. :smt035
First ride to work and i have no wirst ache!!!! Woohoo. Its a lot easier to muscle the bike around with the bigger levage. Not a cheap mod but worth doing if your in pain.
Steve

Specialone
26-07-10, 08:38 PM
Finished the Yoke conversion today.:D Took a total of 3 hours!!!
The worst bit was fitting the longer throttle cables. Fiddley as hell!!! Took me half hour to sort that out!!!:smt067
Then i went and snapped a banjo bolt :smt014as it stated between 14lb - 24lb torque so i opted for 20 as its not to high and the blighter snapped!!! Fortunately theres a hydralic place in the boro that had a spare. :smt035
First ride to work and i have no wirst ache!!!! Woohoo. Its a lot easier to muscle the bike around with the bigger levage. Not a cheap mod but worth doing if your in pain.
Steve

Cool Steve, glad you have noticed the difference.
Told you the throttle cables were fiddly, mine took an age to bleed the brakes as well, just couldnt get all the air out, did in the end though.
Your kit didnt work as expensive as mine though, mine cost nearly £300 :(
Phil

cb1000rsteve
26-07-10, 08:46 PM
Yeah cheers Phil.
Think in total mine worked out at £190 which is still a big wedge of money. I had to buy longer cables, and brake hoses and some bar ends.
I've never bled brakes before but it was quite straight forward. not sure if its the correct way to do it but i un did the bleed nipples, and removed the lid from the reservoir and left it for ten mins. Then i topped up the fluid tightened one nipple then sqeezed the brake tighten the nipple and released. I repeated this till only fluid was coming out. I tightened it up then did the same with the other side. Took about 5 mins to get good solid pressure. Thenn i did a few emergency stops out side the house to make sure before setting off for work.

Specialone
26-07-10, 09:01 PM
I had the 1 long brake line then the smaller link one across the front fender, i did that trick about leaving it but it was spongy still, took me about an hour if i remember properly.
Other people have had similar issues i believe, but you havent so all good.
£190 is more than i thought it would cost you tbh, i was expecting £150 ish.
You never tried stock throttle cables then?
At least you have a good set up now with quality stuff, you can sell the stuff on when you lose your sv and recover some of the outlay.

cb1000rsteve
26-07-10, 09:05 PM
I was hoping it would only be £150 too, but the braided lines where £37.99, bar ends £16, throttle cables £50!!! I didn't want to take a risk with the cables as i do a lot of filtering and didn't want to accerate into something!!!
I was considering getting rid of the SV as my wrists where killing me. But with this conversion i'll keep her going till she dies. Its now a 'comfortable' commuter bike!!!

Specialone
26-07-10, 09:08 PM
I was hoping it would only be £150 too, but the braided lines where £37.99, bar ends £16, throttle cables £50!!! I didn't want to take a risk with the cables as i do a lot of filtering and didn't want to accerate into something!!!
I was considering getting rid of the SV as my wrists where killing me. But with this conversion i'll keep her going till she dies. Its now a 'comfortable' commuter bike!!!
I probably should have changed my stock cables back before i sold my sv shouldnt i ;) £50 is a lot for some cables. didnt realise they were that much.

cb1000rsteve
27-07-10, 04:22 AM
Think you get a discount on the brake and throttle cables when buying the Full kit off 998cc and bandit mania. Still it did work out £40 than buying new, so thanks again

Matts-Yokes
27-07-10, 06:47 AM
cbsteve,

Did you get a billet yoke or risers bolted to your original? How much was the postage on the barends, brakelines and throttle cables, did you add that to the total?

You do know our kit complete includes the following:

topyoke and risers (standard or fatbar)
renthal bars or fat28's
2 stainless brakelines
throttle cables
barends
grips

With the .org discount and the postage within UK the total is £232.05, i think that is a very fair price for the parts you get, all UK manufactured and very high quality.

The yoke is 1" billet in black or silver and the brakelines are in black or clear cover, the handlebars are in blck, silver, gold or blue.

What was the total you had with postage factored in?

Skip
27-07-10, 09:41 AM
Got any pics? Although I am not in discomfort with my SV1000 I do prefer to sit up so may consider this conversion in the near future :)

Matts-Yokes
27-07-10, 10:53 AM
SV1000 Pictures - price is the same for the SV1000S as it is for the SV650S. Standard or fatbars.

Black or silver top yoke, black, blue, gold or silver bars

Thanks
Matt

cb1000rsteve
27-07-10, 05:03 PM
Yes matt the total including postage was £189.78!!! It was one of your yokes that i bought off specialone as he has changed bikes. Not sure how old the yoke is but it looks as good as new still. Does seem like a quality item. I'm well impressed with the quality.
The throttle cables where from your shop also. They should come with a waring of wanting to push your bike over and set fire to it as it was the most fiddly and frustrating job to do!!!
I've used the bike twice now for my commute to work (70 mile round trip) and i can say with hand on my heart i have no wrist or thumb discomfort as i suffered on the standard SV 650S.

Matts-Yokes
30-07-10, 10:37 AM
Excellent, do you have any photos of the conversion you can send us or put up on the forum?

cb1000rsteve
30-07-10, 10:54 AM
not at the mo matt. I use bike for commuting and have been in work since doing the mod!!! I finish work this aft so will try and do it then