PDA

View Full Version : Front end noise

toby_smith
26-07-10, 06:41 PM
Hi there,

Well my front end seems to have developed a creaky clonky noise (not the usual SV fork clunk).

I had a look and a listen and it appears to be one of the disc brakes making the noise as it moves.

Now with them being floating discs I assume they are meant to move, but can anyone shed any light on why they are making this horrible noise and what I can do about it?

It's a 2001 curvy btw.

Thanks in advance

Razor
26-07-10, 06:44 PM
have you tried earplugs?

toby_smith
26-07-10, 06:47 PM
I ride with ear plugs in but quite clearly the purpose of this thread was to establish whether this is a problem and if there's anything to do to sort it. It has only just started so didnt think it was sensible to ignore an abnormality from arguably the most important part of the bike.

toby_smith
26-07-10, 07:03 PM
I have confirmed it is the discs making this noise by jacking the front up, securing the brake on and moving moving the wheel back and forth. It moves the tiniest amount and makes the crunchy noise.

The floating thingie-me-bobs are looking a bit worse for wear and rusty. Any advise on how to free them up?

rotax81
26-07-10, 07:04 PM
check all the bolts/fork bolts all over/caliper bolts/disc bolts etc etc as the discs shouldnt creak.

and the head bearings

toby_smith
26-07-10, 07:10 PM
check all the bolts/fork bolts all over/caliper bolts/disc bolts etc etc as the discs shouldnt creak.

and the head bearings

Thanks mate,

It's definately the right hand side disc. When you move the disc with your hand you can tell exactle where the noise is coming from

TamSV
27-07-10, 08:52 AM
Sounds like you might have a disc on the way out Toby. Get someone to have a look at it though. I wouldn't spring for new discs on the strength of an internet forum diagnosis:p

NedSVS
27-07-10, 09:07 AM
Hi Toby,

When my front discs went I could see that the anti rattle wavey spring washers had cracked and the odd bit had fallen out. My discs were in really good condition, so I got a repair kit from Stealth Products in sheffield. You have to angle grinder off the old rivet heads but the new rivets (or bobbins as some people call them) come with wavey spring washers and a retaining circlip. The wavey spring washer tend to fail prematurely when they have excessive side pressure on them. With the standard brake calliper this is generally caused by the slide mechanism that allows the calliper to center being tight, or as in my case, I fitted opposed piston callipers and the pistons weren't moving as freely as I thought.

andrewsmith
27-07-10, 09:30 AM
get the disc professionally checked as it sounds like a warped 1.