PDA

View Full Version : Keeps cutting out on tickover

adrianle
26-07-10, 08:36 PM
Hi i've got a 1999 650s an had no probs with it until now, went to start it after its winter rest and the battery was flat charged it up and with some choke it started fine, problem is it won't tick over when warm keeps cutting out.
Drained out old fuel replaced with new and thought if i had a blast it would right its self, fine when i opened her up but when i stopped at traffic lights or junctions she stalled again and could only start when i opened the choke. she also was back firing and sounding rough.
Guess the carbs need a good clean but would like some advise were to start, most bike shops can't fit me in for at leased 3 weeks so did to do some DIY.

Cheers
Ady

dizzyblonde
26-07-10, 08:39 PM
What revs is your idle set at?
Should be 1200-1400ish. If its just at 1000, then it usually konks.

Sid Squid
26-07-10, 08:54 PM
Check the usual unused bike problems - gummed carbs etc and choke cable/plungers for correct operation.

adrianle
27-07-10, 10:04 AM
Hi Dizzy its set at 1000 revs and haven't had any probs before, but the back firing sounds bad and a don't want some old couple walking down the road to think i've just shot them.
Will adjust the idle if i could find it.

dizzyblonde
27-07-10, 10:40 AM
Well 1000 revs ain't high enough. The idle screw is on the left hand side of the bike

Its a little flower shaped kn0b.

I have two SVs and both do the same at 1000 revs. I have a VRaptor 1000 which has a higher setting for tickover, if it falls below it does the same. The revs need to be set properly anyway. As Sir Sid of Squid said, gummed carbs, siezed choke plungers can all add to problems.

yorkie_chris
27-07-10, 10:58 AM
you pointing at wrong bit there... that is the top of the camchain tensioner, do not try and adjust that!!!

dizzyblonde
27-07-10, 11:01 AM
#waddles off to find a better example#

its the only pic I could find, and it is in the area between the frame, which is why I said it was a little flower shaped knob.

Geodude
27-07-10, 11:01 AM
Idle control knob on left side of bike rear of frame pictured turn it to increase idle. sorry pic a bit naff.
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab227/geodude_album/idlecontrol.jpg

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab227/geodude_album/idleknob.jpg

thedonal
27-07-10, 11:03 AM
Yep -it's just off the edge of that picture to the right.

dizzyblonde
27-07-10, 11:08 AM
Thanks Geodude!

adrianle
27-07-10, 11:27 AM
Cheers everyone will have a play tonight, is it a big job to clean the carbs as i think the old petrol is the main problem guess you remove the tank, and air filter housing then what?

Mogs
27-07-10, 11:37 AM
When mine had similar cutting out problems - it turned out to be nothing more complex than blocked up air filter. It was fine when taking "deep breaths" at high revs, but cut out on low revs.

dizzyblonde
27-07-10, 11:41 AM
Personally if you're not familiar with carbs, I wouldn't clean the carbs myself. I've watched them being done for years, but I wouldn't touch em with a barge pole, but thats just me!

I'm assuming by your last post you don't have a Haynes or Clymer Manual to hand, it would help you somewhat.

Geodude
27-07-10, 11:47 AM
+1 DB Haynes or Clymer Manual invaluable tool or a mate with a bit of bike mech knowledge.

adrianle
27-07-10, 12:27 PM
Got a Haynes manual somewhere will have to nunt it down.

Biker Biggles
27-07-10, 01:00 PM
Have you adjusted the idle speed yet as per the pic above?It needs to be a good 200 rpm higher than you have now.Basic stuff first before getting the Haynes out.