PDA

View Full Version : curvy starter clutch - possible to rebuild/repair?

charlie13
02-08-10, 11:38 AM
I installed an ignition advance key on my curvy this weekend. When I pulled the generator off the end of the crank a couple of teeth dropped out of the starter clutch. I popped them back in with the vain hope that it might still work, but after getting it all back together all I get when I thumb the starter is a "whizz" as the starter ring gear spins merrily. All the pinions and gear teeth are ok on the idler gear and the starter motor and ring gear. Bump started ok tho. I'm assuming the starter clutch was on it's way out anyway and the fact I took things to pieces gave it a chance to finally fall apart.

I've got a spare engine I'm gonna pull another genny off so I should be able to get my bike back to normal working order, but I was wondering if anyone knows if it possible to rebuild or repair the starter clutch? I would like to have a spare in case it ever goes again.

yorkie_chris
02-08-10, 01:12 PM
On the GPZ they crack up and that loses correct clearance you need to create the lock. Depends what is worn or damaged, I think easier to get one from a blown engine.

charlie13
02-08-10, 02:00 PM
Cheers chris, guess it'll be put the spare one on and hunt round for another spare then. Probably strip the knacked one and have a poke about just out of interest.