PDA

View Full Version : Banjo arrangement on HEL braided hoses

radicalry00
05-09-10, 07:21 PM
Finally got round to fitting my HEL hoses today but I've become a bit stuck.

Firstly, they've sent me the wrong pitch double banjo bolt for the front master cylinder (made another thread about that)

Secondly, there seems to be a distinct lack of detailed instructions explaining which line goes where and which banjos should go where.

I have the 2 Front, 1 Rear kit:

1) Am I right in thinking that the two longest hoses are for the front calipers? I hope so because they're the only two that seem to reach on the front.. :p

2) One of the longer hoses has a straight banjo at one of the ends. I am guessing that this attatches to the master cylinder as the OEM
setup I have just taken off had angled banjos on both of the calipers.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could clear up where the straight banjo should go because I'm unsure as to whether I have them arranged correctly at the minute.

Specialone
05-09-10, 07:25 PM
Just offer them up and see whats looks the most comfortable, thats what i did.

radicalry00
05-09-10, 07:28 PM
Yeah I'll just arrange them so that the lines have plenty of freedom to move and are alligned properly. I'm going to take a trip to my local bike shop tomorrow and get a double banjo bolt as per your advice in the other thread and will try and get it sorted. Will report back if I have any issues.

Thanks Specialone, appreciate it.

Paul the 6th
06-09-10, 11:01 AM
yeah same problem here, I had 2 lines which appeared to be for the front but one had a straight banjo at one end, then a kinked one at the other end, the other line just had 2 kinked banjo's.. The rear line has 2 straight banjo's...

mikerj
06-09-10, 11:39 AM
At the master cylinder end you need one straight banjo and and one angled. Since the two banjos are stacked next to each other the thickness of the hoses would prevent them tightening up straight if you used two flat or two angled ends.

I just fitted my HEL kit, and I found it very time consuming to route the front lines neatly so they aren't rubbing anything over the full steering and suspension travel. I wanted to order the OEM style lines, but they don't list them for the pointy and they replied to an email saying they can make them as a special order but would take somewhat longer.

Note you will need to fabricate some kind of clip to hold the right hand brake line to the fork above the caliper (where the three way block sits on the OEM lines) - the other side already has a clip. The OEM pipe clip on the yokes is also not very suitable for two brake lines, I used two rubber lined P clips. Just make sure that the lines do not flex at the point where the banjos are swaged on, this will cause premature failure (hence the clips being required).

Though they look fantastic and are very well made (and a local company for me), I wish I had gone for the Venhill ones now, it's almost impossible to get the lines to sit as they should without putting a bit of twist in them - the Venhill design with separate connections to the banjos eliminates this problem.

I had to slightly change the way the rear line was routed to prevent it rubbing on the swing arm, will take a couple of pics this evening if you want.