PDA

View Full Version : Headlights Intermittent

Hardened Rider
15-09-10, 07:08 PM
Hi all,

This mornings ride was a bit darker than usual. All other lights performing correctly, side lights/indicators/license/HID.

My initial thought was 15a fuses, but this afternoon when I put the key in and turned on the ignition (not started) the headlights flicked on for a second and went off, then without pulling in the clutch I hit the starter and the lights came to life fully, low and high beam working but pass did not work initially. Now after turning the bike on and off a number of times (roughly 20) the headlights will come on 90% of the time when I hit the starter button without the clutch engaged so as not to start the bike, but also 90% of the time the headlights will not come on when I just turn on the ignition key, again all other lights unaffected by both operations.

After some research of guys on here with a similar experience, faulty reg/rec seems a likely culprit, but no other part of the bike is affected.

Any bike sparkys have any idea what this could be, very grateful for your input.

Hardened Rider
15-09-10, 08:01 PM
Fault found.

The starter switch has a loose connection, moving the switch side to side brings the headlights on and off, also wiggling the cable connecting to the switch has the same affect. Time to crack open the switch and get some contact cleaner in there.