PDA

View Full Version : New Style Bike Test

grimey121uk
02-10-10, 09:11 AM
Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on the current style motorcycles test in the UK.

I have seen so may negative comments on the internet especially regaring the module 1 test being highly dangerouse (avoidance test).

My own thoughts
I think that the 2 style test approach is better as it allows you to get manovers out of the way leaving the mod2 to be about riding. Plus it isnt to expensive to retake. For me the 2 test approch seemed to take some pressure off me compared with my car test.

Also with regards to the avoidance test being highly dangerouse, what a load of crap - if people cant do a basic swerve under controled conditions then they shouldnt be able to ride out on the road.

I also think its a bit unfair how people on 125s have to get up to the same speed in the same distance as people on 500s for the swerve and emergancy stop exercises.

orose
02-10-10, 09:56 AM
My concern relates to the ordering of the exercises - a swerve is fine, as is an emergency stop, but close together is a potential recipe for disaster if you haven't been prepared properly.

More importantly though, is the total lack of test centres - at last count, 66 MPTCs to replace all of the previous bike centres. No suprise then that waiting times are going up...

yorkie_chris
02-10-10, 09:59 AM
Yup... shouldn't be taught to swerve and brake... one decisive action or another. Trying to teach people to mix the 2 on the road is a recipe for sliding your bike under a car.

Rob969
02-10-10, 12:01 PM
during the swerve manouvere you don't need to swerve and then stop imediatley. Its a swerve followed by a controlled stop. You have to bring your bike to a stop within a square a cones. Its not that hard to do if your taught correctly and i felt there was plenty of room to carry it out i actually had to release the brake slightly to make sure i didn't come up short.

The emergency stop is a different part of the test you head of and do another lap before that.

madcockney
02-10-10, 12:58 PM
I started out on the old test and finished on the new. One thing I do think is that the new test is fairer if more long winded, and even this test is being changed again.

I had quite a few aborted Mod 1 test due to weather conditions, but it did take three Mod 1s' to get through it. First one I never felt the bike touch the cone on the swerve test, but when I had come to a stop and looked back there it was tipped on it's side. Instant failure though one of our instructors did say if you are close enough the movement of air caused by the bike can tip the cone.

Second Mod1 I went too fast and had difficulty getting it into the box so stopped the wrong side of the cone. According to the tester I was doing 64 KPH and he felt that was the reason I ended up on the wrong side of the cone but in the wrong place. I was only riding on school bikes (ER5) during instruction and a possible lack of confidence in my ability to pull it into the box after the swerve at that speed probably played a part in it.

The last time I slowed down and did everything right, and come away thinking I didn't know why I flunked it the first two times.

I learnt a lot from the Module 1, both in the training and from those tests so I personally felt it was very beneficial. A lot of it I could have picked up riding around, but I only get to ride at weekends and then not every weekend, so the test gave me added knowledge and skills sooner than I would have achieved otherwise. We had to do all the module 1 training on industrial estates roads so that can be considered a good or bad thing. We never had a full course laid out, or a swerve followed by a box to stop in, or a speed trap. We had to rely on the speedo, your eyes, and ears giving you an idea of your speed, and on the test you only have your ears and eyes. I was speaking to an instructor who did have a full course laid out on the Anglesey Race Track, but they still had Mod 1 failures as the nerves took over.

I think that the whole purpose of the module 1 is really to teach you control, how certain things happening have an impact on what follows and to get you to think. What you learned from the instruction should give you some tools to help you as a new and inexperienced rider. I took the mod 1 in both dry and wet conditions and never locked the wheel on the controlled stop. I did however lock the back wheel under instruction and learnt how to come off the breaks quickly and re-apply them so keeping the bike under control.

The test is not perfect. 125s have difficulty getting up to 50+ KPH, whilst the bigger bikes have challenges in other areas. There is room for improvement. Maybe the swerve and controlled stop speed should be dropped by 5 KPH, and initially I found the slow moving traffic part where you have to move at 2-3 MPH quite taxing though good instruction sorted that out. Certainly you should be able to take modules 1 and 2 in which ever order you wan. Taken overall I think the concept is good.

yorkie_chris
02-10-10, 02:19 PM
during the swerve manouvere you don't need to swerve and then stop imediatley. Its a swerve followed by a controlled stop. You have to bring your bike to a stop within a square a cones. Its not that hard to do if your taught correctly and i felt there was plenty of room to carry it out i actually had to release the brake slightly to make sure i didn't come up short.

The emergency stop is a different part of the test you head of and do another lap before that.

Point is it has sweet FA to do with real road riding

Berlin
02-10-10, 03:00 PM
+1

When we were growing up, "Module 1" was a mate who had an old CG125 field bike that we all took turns on slithering about a ploughed field. It did more for bike control than any tuition in acar park with comes at 31mph.

If you fell off you had to give the bike up eary so that was your incentive to stay on. Get your full go!

C

21QUEST
02-10-10, 03:38 PM

Re the bit I've put in bold, I didn't know that but then again, I didn't think, that would be the case.

No test would be perfect but imho , if someone couldn't do the 'swerve and then stop' part of the exercise, then perhaps, they shouldn't be on the road.

YC, I disagree about the above not having any real world bearing...never that black and white.

To be honest, could be said, it appears the CBT and the actual test are far too easy.

grimey121uk
02-10-10, 03:57 PM
I dont agree that the tests are 2 easy, i think they are fair - as the level of skill I had when starting my DAS training and the day of my test were miles apart. They could make tests more difficult but would there be a benefit to that? as i think most of the learning is done once you have passed your test and are riding on your own with no guidance.

do i think CBT's are to easy..... well mine certainly wasnt infact my cbt was far more intense than my DAS training, I also think that the large amount of 16 year old idiots flying round on mopeds like n0bs isnt due to a lack of training its to do with them not givving a toss.

Although if anything i think any kind of driving license should be based on your performace over your training not just a half hour ride with an examiner, I think it would be much better (in theory atleast) to judged by your riding instructor over a set amount of days so a fuller picture is taken into account. probably wouldnt work in practice but in theory it sounds like a good idea to me

theSVguy
02-10-10, 04:25 PM
my 2p's worth..i've taken the old (33bhp) and new DAS test and to be honest the new test in my opinion is great,the mod 1 is fair it's controled and on a decent surface..the course is well marked and the instructors direct you through it very well.the old test carrying out manovers like the emergency stop on the road is imo dangerous especially for a novice rider least in a compound there are no cars or solid objects for pupils to hit.
as for the swerve avoidance it's hardly a swerve more like changing lanes and coming to a stop,people who are most likely to come off doing this are complete novices who've never ridden before and decided to get a bike license with out enough bike control training before hand.
the thing that depresses me the most is the price but if your serious its a price worth paying till you get it right

theSVguy
02-10-10, 04:32 PM
grimey your quote "Although if anything i think any kind of driving license should be based on your performace over your training not just a half hour ride with an examiner, I think it would be much better (in theory atleast) to judged by your riding instructor over a set amount of days so a fuller picture is taken into account. probably wouldnt work in practice but in theory it sounds like a good idea to me "
i had this exact convo with my instructor i totally agree,a novice could 'fluke' a 30 min test and then do something silly on the road,and experienced riders can easily fail with old bad habits..we can all ride like angels when we need to

mcgrimes
02-10-10, 06:12 PM
I dropped the bike on my 2nd module one during the manual handling procedure :D

When the **** am i gonna manoeuvre the bike which weighs over 3 times more than me in preference to using the seat provided with a good footing on both sides simultaneously?

I dont push my car off the pis*ing driveway do i?

Hongman, did you do the new test?

Speaky69
02-10-10, 09:35 PM
I Passed back in Feb and also had 3 Mod 1 cancelled due to weather (ice, torrential rain and then snow!)
I failed Mod 1 the first time as i didnt acheive the correct speed (1kph too slow!)
Using a suzuki GS500 School bike that was practically falling apart, the examiner even had words with instructor after and said that he shouldnt have let me continue on a bike that poorly maintained.... anyway now im ranting....
Never had any experience of the old style tests but think that perhaps there should have been some leniency with speed perhaps? Maybe a minor mark instead of instant fail?

Reeder
02-10-10, 10:00 PM
I think there is nothing wrong with the new tests other than extreme cost.
I'm glad mod1 is there, because if someone can't pass that then they really really shouldn't be on the road.

maxinc
02-10-10, 11:11 PM
This is barely a minimum competence test. Making it more difficult could only be a good thing for everyone. You may get upset you have to retake mod 1 or 2 and will cost you extra, but it is for your own sake. The instructor told us to get advanced training because there were things they were not allowed to show us because of the DSA rules.

The controlled braking after the swerve exercise is designed to prevent you from hitting the fence at the end of the training ground ;)

rictus01
02-10-10, 11:43 PM
just for info can anyone give me a ballpark breakdown on price for the various parts ?

Cheers Mark.

missyburd
03-10-10, 12:01 AM
Although if anything i think any kind of driving license should be based on your performace over your training not just a half hour ride with an examiner, I think it would be much better (in theory atleast) to judged by your riding instructor over a set amount of days so a fuller picture is taken into account.

I would have to agree with this. Once you are comfortable in your surroundings you will ride much better than in half an hour if you suffer from a bit of nerves like I do. I know the principles of riding a bike and I've set myself enough challenges while riding to feel I can ride one competently, however I will still be nervous and forget all the experience I've had just for the sake of ticking a few boxes riding through a few cones :rolleyes:

missyburd
03-10-10, 12:03 AM
we can all ride like angels when we need to
wish someone would teach me how!

Reeder
03-10-10, 01:37 AM
just for info can anyone give me a ballpark breakdown on price for the various parts ?

Cheers Mark.

My lessons were 130 a day. Mod one test about 15 quid if I remember, 40 for training session, Had to pay to use the bike test day and mod two I think was 70 something and also paying for bike use that day? Can't entirely remember. Couple those costs with 90 for cbt and 20 summit for theory and it gets expensive!

orose
03-10-10, 08:18 AM
My lessons were 130 a day. Mod one test about 15 quid if I remember, 40 for training session, Had to pay to use the bike test day and mod two I think was 70 something and also paying for bike use that day? Can't entirely remember. Couple those costs with 90 for cbt and 20 summit for theory and it gets expensive!

What he said - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/LearningToDriveOrRide/DG_4022530

If you were a Londoner starting out now, and needing to fit stuff around work, you're looking at a bill of about £250 just to cover the legal requirements (£130 for CBT at the weekend, £31 for Theory, £15.50 for Mod 1 and £88.50 to take Mod 2 at a weekend).

Rob969
03-10-10, 08:24 AM
I paid £650 for my DAS that was 4 days training including cbt, Mod 1 on the 5th day with a couple of mod 2 test routes practised as well an then Mod 2 was taken the following week. My instructor did it this way so that if you failed Mod 1 you could give them the 5days notice to cancel mod 2 and get your money back. Thankfully though i didn't need too.

rictus01
03-10-10, 08:32 AM
won't be in London, but cheers gives me some idea of the costs involved.

Cheers Mark.

yorkie_chris
03-10-10, 09:15 AM
This is barely a minimum competence test. Making it more difficult could only be a good thing for everyone. You may get upset you have to retake mod 1 or 2 and will cost you extra, but it is for your own sake.

Oh do c*ck off, that's the retarded attitude that the EU have who are trying to kill our sport and way of life with all this outrageous bullsh*t they keep thinking up.

Here's a fact for you, people ride a bike to pass a test and THEN start learning how to handle a bike. Dodging a couple of cones in sequence might look good, but it's bollock all to do with road riding and never will be.
If they wanted to actually increase road safety, they'd tag some advanced type training and advice onto the end of the test. Just an hour (not assessed) to tell you a few hints.

grimey121uk
03-10-10, 09:19 AM
Oh do c*ck off, that's the retarded attitude that the EU have who are trying to kill our sport and way of life with all this outrageous bullsh*t they keep thinking up.

Here's a fact for you, people ride a bike to pass a test and THEN start learning how to handle a bike. Dodging a couple of cones in sequence might look good, but it's bollock all to do with road riding and never will be.
If they wanted to actually increase road safety, they'd tag some advanced type training and advice onto the end of the test. Just an hour (not assessed) to tell you a few hints.

I have to agree,
No matter how hard you make the test people will just be taugth to pass the test so if it takes longer to pass then you are simply just delaying the true learning curve of riding by yourself with no instruction.

Although I do agree with having some kind of test in place (like the current system) which means that people do have to be seriose about riding rather than some idiot just going out buying a bike, not taking it seriouse and then killing themselves or others - which would of happened during the old school test days which consisted of riding around the block and do an emergancy stop

My instructor Mike Williams (Bolton) offers all people who pass with him a free 2 hours advanced riding lesson, im gonna do mine in the next few weeks or so.

madcockney
03-10-10, 10:47 AM
This is barely a minimum competence test. Making it more difficult could only be a good thing for everyone. You may get upset you have to retake mod 1 or 2 and will cost you extra, but it is for your own sake. The instructor told us to get advanced training because there were things they were not allowed to show us because of the DSA rules.

The Tester/examiner on my tests, mod 1 and 2, was a biker himself and was very encouraging. He tried to put you at ease and if he told you something or gave you some advise you took notice of it. He also gave the same advise as maxinc's instructor gave and hence I am booking myself onto Bikesafe and also the Rospa advanced courses.

The school I was with when I took the tests were extremely good. One of the instructors had also passed his certificate to be a tester/examiner but preferred teaching. He was also one of those charged with inspecting all the school bikes in North Wales and N W England to try to ensure that they were safe. They also did the advanced training courses, and had at one time been training North Wales Police Riders when a certain chief constable decided to ignored a directive that all Police Instructors had to also have passed their DSA Instructors exams. They were not the cheapest school, but were also not the most expensive. The instructors were there as they loved bikes and they wanted to put something back into it. You felt as they they really wanted to help you, and would go out of their way to help and that it was not just a job. In fact virtually all that I met had other sources of income as well.

orose
03-10-10, 11:00 AM
One thing a police officer told me yesterday is probably of some importance here - you shouldn't go on bikesafe and expect to learn anything, as it isn't intended to be that sort of experience. If you want to go down the Rospa route I'd expect that they would offer you an assessment before you start, and that will probably cover the same ground in terms of riding. Would probably turn out a bit cheaper too... my IAM group do it for free, if you're willing to spring for breakfast for the observer.

kaivalagi
03-10-10, 11:03 AM
I only recently passed my DA and I have to say I think the 2 part course is a nice way to break it down, however I do feel that the main reason for it is the DSA trying to make more money rather than safer riders. Keep it as is and lower the bloody costs I say - we need more motorcycles on the roads...

I have had a few scares and realisations that put what you are saying into perspective...riding defensively and having good speed judgement/road placement for cornering are just 2 things I am trying to get to grips with now that I'm out in the big wide world on my bike. No amount of lessons or tests can help with that IMHO.

I'd even pay a little more (as long as the DSA didn't get that too) to have something like this straight after my mod 2 with my instructor...I will be doing some sort of advanced riding course (non DSA led) and possibly a track day too next spring/summer as I figure these will give me a lot to think about!

madcockney
03-10-10, 11:20 AM
I have to agree,
No matter how hard you make the test people will just be taugth to pass the test so if it takes longer to pass then you are simply just delaying the true learning curve of riding by yourself with no instruction.

Although I do agree with having some kind of test in place (like the current system) which means that people do have to be seriose about riding rather than some idiot just going out buying a bike, not taking it seriouse and then killing themselves or others - which would of happened during the old school test days which consisted of riding around the block and do an emergancy stop

My instructor Mike Williams (Bolton) offers all people who pass with him a free 2 hours advanced riding lesson, im gonna do mine in the next few weeks or so.

I think that the big problem is that people think that now they have passed a test they know everything. Riding a bike takes more skill than driving a car, but look what happens to car drivers after they pass their test. (I know some biker that are absolutely terrible when they get in a car, which they shouldn't be, being bikers.) I was taught years ago to drive by an IAM instructor who had his own school and he taught me to drive, but also told me what not to do on the test. (The saying at the time was if you want to learn to just pass the test use BSM, if you wanted to learn to drive as well as pass the test use someone like the car school I went to.)

The art and acquired skill of riding a bike happens after you pass the test.

On the current Mod 2 bike test you are not allowed to use a lot of the advanced techniques, and I do believe that this is a shortcoming, though we were taught/shown some of them by the school even though we cannot use them on the test. If you ask a ROSPA or a police bike instructor they will tell you to use, or put more emphasis on lots of things that would likely fail you on a test. Possibly they think that they are asking too much if you use advanced techniques. (Mind you the DSA attitude, until recently, regarding counter steering is a bit bewildering and make you wonder about their attitude to science.)

yorkie_chris
03-10-10, 11:44 AM
Yea and 70/30 braking on a dry road and a modern bike... yeeeeas.

What advanced techniques would you fail a test with?

grimey121uk
03-10-10, 11:47 AM
Yea and 70/30 braking on a dry road and a modern bike... yeeeeas.

What advanced techniques would you fail a test with?

from what my instructor told me, road positioning on corners is differant between the normal test and advanced riding

kaivalagi
03-10-10, 12:10 PM
from what my instructor told me, road positioning on corners is different between the normal test and advanced riding
My instructor always got on me for cornering position for the test but added that with the "but when the test is over, make sure you do advanced riding to pick up on the 'proper' way...
They never teach about car blind spots either which I think they should, I try to make sure I am always in a drivers field of vision etc...anyone get taught by their instructor about blind spots of cars (trucks I can expect, i.e. staying back but cars?)

Reeder
03-10-10, 12:17 PM
Do you not know where a car blind spot is?

yorkie_chris
03-10-10, 12:18 PM

Is it reasonable to expect someone who's never driven or ridden on a road before to know this? Or would you more likely expect a person in a state of innocent ignorance to expect car drivers to make lifesaver checks as you have drilled into you in training for the test?!

kaivalagi
03-10-10, 12:24 PM
Where the driver can't see you :p
I guess the easiest way to think of it is where the life saver check you do is for, normally where you can't see the drivers position between the rear and side of the car...I'm thinking multi-lane roads etc

Is it reasonable to expect someone who's never driven or ridden on a road before to know this? Or would you more likely expect a person in a state of innocent ignorance to expect car drivers to make lifesaver checks as you have drilled into you in training for the test?!
I've just seen enough situations when in a car where drivers come across lanes when their rear and your front wheels are about level... I'm not a car driver though, never had a car license, hard to believe at 35yrs I know...
I just thought if they teach riders the life saver why not about the position where you'd expect a life saver check from a car driver too...?

Reeder
03-10-10, 12:24 PM
It's reasonable for people to not know, but having met Kai at southwold on the EAR I just thought he might have known, that is all. However I must say that if I remember correctly isn't it covered in the highway code?

kaivalagi
03-10-10, 12:31 PM
It's reasonable for people to not know, but having met Kai at southwold on the EAR I just thought he might have known, that is all. However I must say that if I remember correctly isn't it covered in the highway code?
For trucks certainly it's covered from the rear, keeping well back, and my instructor was always telling me "make sure you see those mirrors"...just can't recall anything covering blind spots you can be in when in another lane etc...

yorkie_chris
03-10-10, 12:33 PM
I've just seen enough situations when in a car where drivers come across lanes when their rear and your front wheels are about level... I'm not a car driver though, never had a car license, hard to believe at 35yrs I know...
I just thought if they teach riders the life saver why not about the position where you'd expect a life saver check from a car driver too...?

That's the point, you can't expect some c**t in a cage to be bothered to move their head can you.

A 20 minute chat with someone who knows what they're on about would get most of the hard won points of survival across far better than any silly cone wobbling exercise.

kaivalagi
03-10-10, 12:35 PM
That's the point, you can't expect some c**t in a cage to be bothered to move their head can you.

A 20 minute chat with someone who knows what they're on about would get most of the hard won points of survival across far better than any silly cone wobbling exercise.

I certainly feel when on a bike that I should make myself known at all times and am weary of "blind" drivers at junctions and alike...common sense stuff or stuff they should teach? Teach IMHO...

I know you can't get real experience across in the training but I don't think this one point was ever even mentioned...most likely because it's not tested for :(

edit: Can some of you more experienced riders maybe get a list together of all the points worth mentioning that experience has brought you? It would make a good sticky I think!

Reeder
03-10-10, 12:36 PM
For trucks certainly it's covered from the rear, keeping well back, and my instructor was always telling me "make sure you see those mirrors"...just can't recall anything covering blind spots you can be in when in another lane etc...

http://www.intensive-driving-courses-birmingham.co.uk/images/blindspot.jpg

That is the area on a car where the blind spot is.
Safest way to stay out of it is to either stay directly next to or behind the car... or of course infront ;)

yorkie_chris
03-10-10, 12:38 PM
Stuff like road position, planning on approach to junctions, cornering position.
Dead simple stuff that you can easily build on with practice alone but getting that "eureka" moment to try it on your own might take some time.

Lets face it more bikers are killed by collisions with cars and falling off on corners than by the serious catastrophe of "death by putting a foot down while riding slowly around a cone"

kaivalagi
03-10-10, 12:38 PM
That is the area on a car where the blind spot is.
Safest way to stay out of it is to either stay directly next to or behind the car... or of course infront ;)
Can't remember that one, good job most is common sense :lol:
edit: because it's for car drivers!!! like they'll remember to do that unless they're bike riders...still think there should be a mention of this for bike riders too, i.e. staying out of blind spots where possible

Reeder
03-10-10, 12:42 PM
Yeah always a good idea to stay out of the blind spots, and it's a bit bad in my opinion for your instructors not to have said that to you considering you don't drive a car either.
You're right that a lot of car drivers wont check their blind spots. It's always a good idea to be very cautious on dual carriageways or motorways

kaivalagi
03-10-10, 12:43 PM
Lets face it more bikers are killed by collisions with cars and falling off on corners than by the serious catastrophe of "death by putting a foot down while riding slowly around a cone"

Agreed that the module 1 is not the be all and end all one little bit, I see it as more of a slow manoeuvring test, the swerve and emergency stop procedures did give me a sense of the ability to get out of trouble before hitting the roads on the module 2 though...but so did all my rider training I did before module 1 :lol:

Money maker first and foremost I feel...

maxinc
03-10-10, 03:22 PM
death by putting a foot down while riding slowly around a cone

The cones are supposed to help you get together with the machine. If you can't control the clutch, the speed, the brakes ... it most likely you will use a lot of your attention on controlling the bike rather than what's going on around you.

That's why the cones exists and if you can't handle them, you probably can't handle the bike nor the road.

flak monkey
03-10-10, 04:37 PM
For what its worth, I did my tests about 3 weeks ago on a 3 day DAS. Day 1 was my first day on a 400, practice for mod 1 and some road work. Day 2 was mod 1 test and some practice test routes, day 3 was mod 2 test.

Mod1 - pretty simple, took less than 10 minutes. My training was very good and it was all practiced on a kart track using a radar gun for speed checks for the swerve and e-stop. I was apprehensive about the swerve, but in reality its a complete doddle. There is loads of space to get up to speed and plenty of time to striaghten up before you brake. I can see that if you braked whilst in the swerve you could come off, but if you have been taught properly then you should know there is no need to. The swerve itself is quite gentle. I went through the swerve at 56kph and had to let off the brakes so I didnt stop short of the box. E-stop if did at 62kph. So there is masses of room to get up to speed and still think about what you are doing. I did my test in the damp as well.

Upshot of my test - pass first time, no minors.

Tips - relax, remember your shoulder checks. And do everything how your instructor teaches you. Dont try and do it having had no instruction/practice as thats just asking for trouble.

Mod 2 - the whole test lasted 35mins, including paperwork, getting kitted up, and safety questions. The ride itself was relaxed and the examiner fair and reasonable. The most disconcerting thing was having him ride so close behind in the blind spot.

My result - first time pass, 2 minors.

Overall I think the tests are pretty good, they serve a purpose and I would rather do all the manouvres in a seperate test as it releives the pressure on the road ride.

David

missyburd
03-10-10, 05:40 PM
Very helpful that flakmonkey, cheers :-)

SIII
03-10-10, 06:29 PM
I have to disagree with one point - I don't think the swerve test easy and felt downright unsafe, well it was on the school's old ER5's. This part of the test I would say is pointless, when will you ever have to swerve to the left! (the right hand loop at carlisle was unusable as previous candidate had come off and put a big gouge in the tarmac!) When a car pulls out on me I definitely won't swerve onto the pavement and I am not sure swerving onto the opposite side of the road would be any safer?

I agree with the rest of the test being off of the public road and is probably better for it. But the 110 mile round trip (and the months wait), I had to make was a bit of a pain and if I was honest if I was given the choice, I would probably take the test on road and not have to take nearly a whole day off work just for a 15 minute test!

No complaint with the MOD2 - good level of testing as is required before letting us loose on a 600 or bigger. Slow riding is assesed as part of this and doing a u-turn and emergency stop would not be that great an inconvience.

By the way passed 1 month ago with only 2 minors - not going fast enough! But then again the speedo on said knackered ER5 was showing 60 when I was only doing 53!

kaivalagi
03-10-10, 07:52 PM
I have to disagree with one point - I don't think the swerve test easy and felt downright unsafe, well it was on the school's old ER5's. This part of the test I would say is pointless, when will you ever have to swerve to the left! (the right hand loop at carlisle was unusable as previous candidate had come off and put a big gouge in the tarmac!) When a car pulls out on me I definitely won't swerve onto the pavement and I am not sure swerving onto the opposite side of the road would be any safer?

I appreciate that a left swerve is less likely to be required than a right on UK roads (i.e. cars coming from junctions on your left), but if they couldn't test on the right swerve better to test for it than not at all right? If you didn't feel safe doing it then I have to question what your reaction would be to these situations:

This happened to me the second day I was on my new SV - enter a roundabout to go straight on, where no traffic exists to your right, an unobservant (being polite) driver comes speeding from the exit on your left and you have no choice but to brake hard AND moments after swerve to the left to miss their bonnet...not a good combination!
Oncoming traffic, where their side of the road is obstructed, pulls out in front of you not seeing you as you come toward them in the center of your lane
Riding in europe on the right hand side of the road all the requirements for a right swerve for here :)

I'm sure there are more situations where drivers just don't stick to road laws as in the roundabout scenario...

I thought the swerve was a good addition to the mod 1, I can see the benefit of it my self...just knowing what a 30mph swerve feels like and how quick one can be pulled off if needed is reassuring or atleast should be...

maxinc
03-10-10, 08:16 PM
I'm pretty sure swerving to the left is as important as the one to the right. There are plenty occasion that I can think of when I had to swerve to the left.

The goal is to have control over the bike in those unpredictable moments where you only have time to react but not enough to think.

Maybe hard to believe but is a lot safer on the DSA testing pad than on a busy road.

missyburd
16-11-10, 11:17 PM
the thing that depresses me the most is the price but if your serious its a price worth paying till you get it right

Have to agree with that one, costing an arm and a bloody leg I tell thee!

I have to disagree with one point - I don't think the swerve test easy and felt downright unsafe

I must admit, when I first started practicing this swerve thing I did feel unsafe. Not because of the speed exactly but because I was so blumin' paranoid about going into the cones! Then my instructor showed me they're made of rubber and would just squash, and funnily enough I felt a bit better after being told that! I then realised the swerve wasn't bad really, I do it all the time on the road, particularly when avoiding manhole covers and patches of diesel on the road so no biggie, it's just getting it right at the time that's the important bit...really hoping the nerves don't hit me!

beabert
16-11-10, 11:23 PM
I believe that if someone doesnt have to confidence to do the swerve test they shouldnt be trying for bike license so soon.

Only problem i saw with it was for really low powered 125s you really had to give it some. I at full pelt and leaning hard on corners only got 55kmh on both the stop and swerve. I can see that those less confident just wouldn't do it on the same bike, oh and im only 10-11 stone.

DaveyF
17-11-10, 11:39 AM
I did the Mod 1 on an ER-5 and I found the swerve test to be quite easy. If you line up correctly through the speed trap then it's hardly even a swerve. The way I went through it was pretty much a flick left. Also the speed thing is unclear. There is nothing that says you have to do the actual swerve or e-stop at 50kph, it's just the speed you have to go through the speed trap. As soon as you're through you can roll off the gas and coast through. This was especially helpful on the e-stop as as did mine on a fairly wet day, although I still found there was more than enough grip. In fact on the swerve the examiner thought I had gone through too slow given how smooth I was. I think I recorded 56kph through the trap.

I think the point made earlier about a brief start to some advanced training is a good one. I was lucky in that my mod2 test was early afternoon and my instructor said that as I'd paid him for a whole day he would take me the long route home and do a couple of hours of better road positioning, cornering etc. Definitely helped, although I am still learning and building up my confidence.