PDA

View Full Version : Tools, Halfords Advanced general tools

thefallenangel
02-10-10, 04:37 PM
Having been given a company credit card i am now stocking up on these tools slowly or buying odd tools by myself.

Today i bought Halfords flexible end ratchet spanners for £24 8-19mm. they seem pretty strong although haven't given them a tough test.

Got the 1/4" socket set which is handy as it has a 14mm socket too for doing the SV brakes. Good ratchet although the case for it isn't up to much.

As of now i am going to build up a halfords advanced toolkit and try out their "lifetime" warranty and see how good they are with it but the kit seems good quality stuff.

maviczap
02-10-10, 04:48 PM
I've had a Lifetime socket set for about 20years, still going strong, although it hasn't been used too much

We use the little ratchet spanners at work, pretty good, although I know one has stopped working, but its been abused and subject to working in a salty atmosphere without being lubed afterwards.

I bought a 3/8 & 1/4 drive proffesional set last year. Good stuff it is

Specialone
02-10-10, 05:48 PM
Dont over look machine marts lifetime range of sockets and drivers, the sockets and ratchets have lasted a lot of abuse from me, yet a couple of expensive ratchets (not mentioning name) have broke on me.

thefallenangel
02-10-10, 05:57 PM
how come there is no real thread on tools? Tried searching and couldn't find anything.

squirrel_hunter
02-10-10, 08:55 PM
how come there is no real thread on tools? Tried searching and couldn't find anything.

Could always start one...

For the record I use the Halfords Pro range and am very happy with them. I have needed to take advantage of the guarantee a couple of times and not had a problem. They may ask if you have a receipt to which I reply that it was bought for me as a present.

But there are other tools that Halfords don't do and a recommends thread could be very useful. For example I have found there is only one brand of carb cleaner that is any good, but if I were shopping for an angle grinder I wouldn't know what to go for.

thefallenangel
02-10-10, 09:05 PM
Could we get a thread pinned on recommened tools?

And good call on the present. TBH how can they say you didn't buy it? It's got their name stamped all over it.

squirrel_hunter
02-10-10, 10:24 PM
I do like a the idea of a recommended tools thread. The only reservation I have is that it would turn into a 'Which socket set should I get?' with some recommending Halfords Pro, others Clarke, and others another brand. I would be more interested in the 'other' tools in the garage that people use. Furthermore how too's on the correct usage and when their application is best utilized would be even more useful.

thefallenangel
02-10-10, 10:26 PM
well i had for £24 8-19mm ratchet combination spanner Halfords Pro with flexible ends.

Bloody good halfords at the minute with their little sale + 15% off online.

And my tools will be used daily will post an update but as someone on another forum said "Which other brand of tools can you go 364 days a year and go gimme another one?"

squirrel_hunter
02-10-10, 10:36 PM
Didn't know they had a sale on, ta.

However question for you, why go for the ones with a flexible head? I understand the ratchet ones as I could do with a set myself, however I've not had a situation where I thought a flexible headed spanner would be required.

squirrel_hunter
03-10-10, 12:13 AM
Bloody good halfords at the minute with their little sale + 15% off online.

I don't like you any more. I've just spent the past hour or so on their website. I have to go to my local store tomorrow. I have reserved some ratchet spanners (that I've wanted for a couple of years but never bought), some pliers (£5 each bargain), a through socket set (will have a closer look in store), and a set of E-Torx ratchet spanners (I have no use for these, but for £15 its worth having just in case).

My credit card thanks you.

TamSV
03-10-10, 12:22 AM
I keep looking at the ratchet spanners but wondered how tough the mechanism was. Anyone been jumping up and down on them with good results?

squirrel_hunter
03-10-10, 12:38 AM
I've not used the ratchet spanners with the flexible heads that TFA has bought but have used the other ratchet spanners that they do and found them very useful for getting in spaces that a socket cannot find.

As for jumping up and down on them, for tightening things not a problem, but you are of course restrained by the length of the tool which is I find proportional to the torque that you can and often should apply. The need for jumping on them however suggests to me undoing a highly torqued bolt, which I would then argue that a ratchet spanner is not the best application and a breaker bar would be far more useful.

TamSV
03-10-10, 12:49 AM
Jumping up and down was a bit of an exaggeration. I don't actually do that (OK, maybe sometimes).

I just thought they might be one of those gimmicky things that don't actually work that well in practice. Sounds like that's not the case. If there's a sale on I'll maybe give them a go.

squirrel_hunter
03-10-10, 01:00 AM
Na, they do have a real application very useful. You can live without them but when you need them they make the job so much easier. The set I've gone for are on a permanent reduction from £80 to £40 so the 15% off has tipped the balance for me.

thefallenangel
03-10-10, 08:46 AM
Na, they do have a real application very useful. You can live without them but when you need them they make the job so much easier. The set I've gone for are on a permanent reduction from £80 to £40 so the 15% off has tipped the balance for me.

didn't go for the flexible head one's at £30 + 15% off then?

I had the E-torx spanners too along with the big spanners and screwdrivers.

timwilky
03-10-10, 08:58 AM
When I worked for Leyland trucks, I saw snap-on 2ft knuckle bars snap. I therefore believe there is no such thing as an unbreakable tool. It then comes down to how the aftersales respond.

I have an ex mod with the arrow stamping snap on 18" 1/2" drive ratchet. the gearing was knackered. I mentioned it to my local snap on delaer and about a week later he knocked on my door with a refurb kit for it. Great service, that is why I recommend them. I do have a halfrauds trade card and buy bits from them as a last resort when the local factors are closed. But I have yet to be convinced their tools are any better than other manufacturers.

I do have some (I will go mad if the swearing sensor hit this) King **** sockets that were issued to my father when he was installing missile systems in the fifties. Those definitely have lasted a lifetime.

timwilky
03-10-10, 09:00 AM
Bloody swearing filter, I said it was a King Dick sockets. Nah Nah swearing filter.

thefallenangel
03-10-10, 09:06 AM
i'm not saying Halfords are the best but for the price on offer some of the stuff is really good value.

Compared to our local industrial suppliers who never have anything in stock i want.

Here's an example Teng 1/4" socket set i got for work was £40 + VAT where as the halfords one is £13.50 at the minute. While the teng one has deep reach sockets too the halfords one had a 14mm socket in.

squirrel_hunter
03-10-10, 09:32 AM
didn't go for the flexible head one's at £30 + 15% off then?

I had the E-torx spanners too along with the big spanners and screwdrivers.

Not this time. I'm not sure when I would need a flexible head one so would be interested in your experience with them. However I'm sure they will be at that price again at some point so I'll get them then, I've spent far to much money this weekend already.

The set of big spanners are all out of stock round by me but I'm pretty sure I have those sizes already, but at £8, bargain. Out of interest though which screwdrivers have you gone for?

thefallenangel
03-10-10, 09:36 AM
8 piece advanced. I'm also building up a set of advanced insulated ones for work. I've used my insulated and it feels a lot better than your typical electrical screwdrivers.

For £8.50 for 8 screwdrivers is birlliant.

DarrenSV650S
03-10-10, 07:34 PM
I have the 150 piece halfords set. One ratchet spanner broke pretty much the first time I used it. Got it replaced, but I don't think I was meant to because their lifetime warranty doesn't cover moving parts. I don't really find much use for them to be honest

The 3/8 socket mechanism broke too. They sold me a repair kit, which didn't fit the one I had... so ended up buying a new one.

One of the allen key socket bits also snapped when I was using it (cue lots of swearing). Got that replaced as it is solid metal, at least it was until it broke...

I wouldn't recommend the kit

barwel1992
03-10-10, 07:38 PM
my halfrauds pro stuff has been fine for the time i have had it

dont buy any thing made by teng tools they are utter sh*te nuff sead really apart from i do get a 40% discount

TamSV
03-10-10, 07:45 PM
Got a set of the ratchet spanners today and have used one already to fit my Acewell speedo sensor up under the front mudguard.

Bibio
03-10-10, 08:03 PM
never had a problem with the hulfuds pro range, but i dont buy sets i just buy what i need when i need from the nice shiny glass cabinets. their torque wrenches are the mutz nutz for the price. i seem to recall that the pro tools are made by britool but i could be wrong.

Viney
04-10-10, 07:42 AM
I love my ratchet spanners. I find them good if you are at full stretch and the wieght of a socket hinders your movement. Mine are Sealy btw. I have 1 item of Hal;fords toolage, and it broke about 3 months in, and that was a Huge Torque wrench, bought for doing up car wheels bearings. Even 3 months in, (this was a few years ago) Halfords didnt want to replace it as it was the ratchet that went. All manner of greif ensued. I still have it and the ratchet part doesnt work. Theys aid i had put too much pressure on the ratchet! Its a 300ft/lb torque wrenc ffs...thats me jumping up and down on it and then some! Idiots. Id never buy tools from them to be honest. I prefer a mixture. I have all manner of stuff, Clarke Pro, Sealy, Snap-off, Draper pro etc etc

andrewsmith
04-10-10, 05:29 PM
the halfrauds stuff I've got is spot on.
Put Viney you've confirmed what I thought about the torque wrenches (crap!!).
Drapers tools are good, just a bit expensive for some of the gear.

MrMessy
06-10-10, 08:34 AM
Just picked up a set of the flexi-head ratchet spanners. Daughters going to buy them for my birthday:D Thanks for the heads up on this offer.

yorkie_chris
06-10-10, 10:29 AM
dont buy any thing made by teng tools they are utter sh*te nuff sead really apart from i do get a 40% discount

What's your experience with teng stuff? Why sh*te?

yorkie_chris
06-10-10, 10:31 AM
I've not used the ratchet spanners with the flexible heads that TFA has bought but have used the other ratchet spanners that they do and found them very useful for getting in spaces that a socket cannot find.

As for jumping up and down on them, for tightening things not a problem, but you are of course restrained by the length of the tool which is I find proportional to the torque that you can and often should apply. The need for jumping on them however suggests to me undoing a highly torqued bolt, which I would then argue that a ratchet spanner is not the best application and a breaker bar would be far more useful.

Or a ring spanner if you don't have room for socket.

Ratchet spanners are meant to make jobs a bit quicker, they're not for beasting as they'll break (even good ones)

barwel1992
06-10-10, 10:59 AM
What's your experience with teng stuff? Why sh*te?

using them on formula renault car, they snap, rust even when oil'd bend, some of the sockets shatter.

and we were told not to buy them by the mechanics at my collage (f1,wrc,BTCC,WTCC head mechanics, lots of experiance so know what they are on about)

NAPA121
06-10-10, 11:39 AM
I have had my Halfords pro tools for a while now and they have been fine.

I have not had to use the life time guarantee yet though so don't know if they would be funny about swapping stuff out if any items do break but so far so good.

muzikill
08-03-11, 08:34 PM
I dont think a thread would do it justice, we could have a new topic and sub forums eg. hand tools, bike tools, power tools etc

Dabteacake
11-01-12, 07:33 AM
I have the 150 piece set from halfords. I used it to rebuild a v6 for my car and the only thing which broke was a t55 male socket I was using to torque the heads down. Took it to halfords got 1 off the shelf showed them the bust one and left. Must depend on the staff as none of my friends have had any issues with replacement parts either

pavithra
26-04-12, 11:04 AM
really good............

littleoldman2
26-04-12, 11:14 AM
and the punch line is ........................

_Stretchie_
26-04-12, 02:24 PM
and the punch line is ........................

...he turned to the nun and she was wearing the mankini......