PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Garage Door Sticking

DarrenSV650S
10-10-10, 08:04 PM
We've got an automatic garage door with a remote, but it keeps getting stuck about a foot off the floor when it's closing. So you have to open then close it again.
It says on the sliders not to grease the tracks. So how do you make it run smoother without sticking?

Holdup
10-10-10, 08:06 PM
Butter

Bibio
10-10-10, 08:09 PM
jizz on it. ohhh wait a min that'll just make it more sticky...

dry film lube. or ky jelly, i'm sure you have lots of that.

i'm not helping am i..........

Shellywoozle
10-10-10, 08:10 PM
We've got an automatic garage door with a remote, but it keeps getting stuck about a foot off the floor when it's closing. So you have to open then close it again.
It says on the sliders not to grease the tracks. So how do you make it run smoother without sticking?

Man muck ;)
EDIT - should have read post above before posting :(

Specialone
10-10-10, 08:16 PM
Make sure the tracks are clean, i think if you grease them the crap tends to stick to the grease and make it worse.
If you do have oil them use silicone spray or something, be very suprised if a little stickyness on the rollers would stop an auto door, probably another problem.

Holdup
10-10-10, 08:17 PM
Stop being lazy and open it manualy

DarrenSV650S
10-10-10, 08:20 PM
Butter
ok

jizz on it. ohhh wait a min that'll just make it more sticky...

dry film lube. or ky jelly, i'm sure you have lots of that.

i'm not helping am i..........
no

Man muck ;)
EDIT - should have read post above before posting :(
yup

Make sure the tracks are clean, i think if you grease them the crap tends to stick to the grease and make it worse.
If you do have oil them use silicone spray or something, be very suprised if a little stickyness on the rollers would stop an auto door, probably another problem.
They look clean and dry. I could try some degreasant on them. What other problem could it be? When it's closing it starts to stutter near the bottom then stops nearly closed

Stop being lazy and open it manualy
You can't

Specialone
10-10-10, 08:26 PM
Is it belt or chain?
Inspect the condition of the drive itself, could be there is something on the drive belt / chain / sprocket at that precise place on the cycle.
If the tracks re clean and moving freely then it has to be something on the drive mechanism.

DarrenSV650S
10-10-10, 08:30 PM
Is it belt or chain?
Inspect the condition of the drive itself, could be there is something on the drive belt / chain / sprocket at that precise place on the cycle.
If the tracks re clean and moving freely then it has to be something on the drive mechanism.

Direct drive I think. The motor is sort of inside the drum the door rolls on to.

The tracks are dry and clear. Just some scuffing on them

minimorecambe
10-10-10, 08:31 PM
There isnt a small child underneath the door is there that is stopping them from closing?

Reeder
10-10-10, 08:32 PM
Stop being so fecking posh and get a manual one.

Sally
10-10-10, 08:45 PM
There isnt a small child underneath the door is there that is stopping them from closing?

So that's where Maddie is...

thefallenangel
10-10-10, 09:38 PM
can't you just WD or something of the like on the runners.

metalhead19
10-10-10, 10:34 PM
Our doors do that every now n then. Think we just reset the motor controlling them.

DarrenSV650S
10-10-10, 10:42 PM
can't you just WD or something of the like on the runners.
No because it says not to....

Our doors do that every now n then. Think we just reset the motor controlling them.
How do you do that?

11-10-10, 07:04 AM
pledge polish...

its silicone (sp) polish and effectively lubricates

Sir Trev
11-10-10, 10:12 AM
pledge polish...

its silicone (sp) polish and effectively lubricates

Works brilliantly on curtain tracks!