PDA

View Full Version : Career Advice.

Jordy
11-10-10, 08:10 PM
When I left school I didn't really know what to do with myself, my career advisor at school was a joke and suggested I do vehicle mechanics at school (because i told her i liked cars lol) at the time sounded pretty good so I went with it and enrolled at my local college.

Despite having 7 C's at GCSE they put me on a course that was full of knuckle scrapers and I've since realised that I should've been on the course above, but at the time I had no idea. I got on okay though, had a laugh and completed it with a distinction. I then went on to do a National Certificate in vehicle repair and technology afterwards and passed that.

Halfway through my National Cert I hated it, we were just going over what I did in the first year and there was hardly any practical also no garage would give me any work experience, so I was learning nothing. I became bored and lost confidence in myself when it came to practical tasks. This led me to lose any passion I once had for a career in the motor trade and decided I wanted to join the forces.

I set my sights high and went for a career as a logistics officer in the RAF I lost 3 stone and took evening classes to improve my grades (now have an 'A' in Maths & English) I had my heart set on it and was dedicated. But I failed to gain entry because I didn't have enough UCAS points and vacancies were low. I thought okay fine... It's okay I can join as a regular and make my way up the ranks, not a problem at all.

For over a year now I've been trying to join the army as as aircraft technician whilst juggling crappy dead end jobs, I was made redundant twice since I left college and it has been tough tbh. A few weeks ago I went to ADSC (army developement and selection centre) in Pirbright Surrey, for those that don't know it's a 48 hour long interview basically - Including physical and mental tests and a medical. If you're successful you're offered a job.

I got there after 5 hours on the train, I was there for about 2 hours... Got a medical deferal due to my acne which I have on my shoulders and back. Their excuse was it could become infected or just painful and I wouldn't be able to carry my backpack 'rendering me useless' lols. The point is they're being extremely picky becasue they can afford to be atm.

I was devastated and angry but couldn't argue, I had to bite my lip and take it. Also my colour blindness is too severe for my chosen trades. (Which they couldn't possibly tell me waaay back :rolleyes:). So shattered dreams really because that's all I wanted to do and I can't now due to something I can't help.

So here I am now - 22 years old, living with parents, working as a tyre/exhaust fitter... Which lets face it I could have done since I left school with no qualifications. It doesn't challenge me and there are no prospects. Plus I have to work every saturday! Grr lol. But seriously I am very worried about my future now, becasue I feel I can do better and I don't want to be 30 years old with nothing, stuck there. So here are my options that I can see.

Army - Different job choices (once the acne has been treated/gone)
Navy
RAF
Motorbike mechanic - I love working on my bike and I have some qualifications/theory knowledge.
University? - I can't think of anything I want to study and I don't think I have enough UCAS points.
Apprenticeship in something.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Sorry for the almost biography, I just wanted to explain my situation fully as it might help.

tactcom7
11-10-10, 08:17 PM
Mate if you're in Basingstoke take a trip up to odiham and ask for a look around the hangars there. Spent 8 years there so any questions just ask.
Si

Bibio
11-10-10, 08:20 PM
what makes you happy?

22 and going threw a midlife. lol

Specialone
11-10-10, 08:26 PM
IMO its better to realise you chosen the wrong path at 22 than 32, go for whatever you think has a future for you, you're only here once remember.

Bibio
11-10-10, 08:49 PM
me:

cobbler

soft furnishings

blacksmith

computer geek

carer

thulfi
11-10-10, 09:00 PM
You'll be surprised how many different uni's and degrees there are out there. Check 'em out to see if you have enough points, etc and then look into those as additional options to the ones you've mentioned.

A uni degree in most things would open up a lot more doors, and you're only 22!

11-10-10, 09:00 PM
http://motorindustrytraining.com/

these are the people I used who would place people as fitters and trainee mechanics if your looking for this sort of a posting.

I was offered several jobs but I changed my mind back then, it was more placement based not theory.

The industry is suffering at the moment, so dont hold your breath.

anna
11-10-10, 09:06 PM
I changed career when I as 26 not a problem, 22 is young enough to do what ever you want to do.

As has been suggested take a look at the open university and see what they require you may find that you have more then enough points.

qwerf
11-10-10, 09:19 PM
There are plenty of apprenticeships going at the moment as the government is pushing for them! Maybe consider doing a apprenticeship for BT or something, they have a very good apprentice structure and they will also pay for you to do a degree if you really want too!

Bibio
11-10-10, 09:22 PM
think of something you would like to do then go for it.

SoulKiss
11-10-10, 09:36 PM
Hope this helps :) (From Dictionary.com)

Career

— vb
1. ( intr ) to move swiftly along; rush in an uncontrolled way

ArtyLady
12-10-10, 08:34 AM
Yes I have some very good advice - don't try and be an artist.........

Dicky Ticker
12-10-10, 06:55 PM
Follow your heart as its a long time to do something you don't like doing

600+
12-10-10, 07:44 PM
Kingston uni have a motorcycle eng and design course that is worth looking into

keith_d
12-10-10, 07:53 PM
One thing to remember is that these days most folks change jobs from time to time, so even if you start in one area you can end up doing something completely different in a few years.

Here's my list so far...

Laboratory Robotics (3 years)
Automation and Control engineer (10 years)
Economics software consulting (4 years)
Data systems hardware support (8 years)

I realise it's not a great time to be looking for something new at the moment, but it might be a good time to learn a new skill for when the economy picks up.

SoulKiss
12-10-10, 09:13 PM
Hows this for Careering (and this is only real, after I left school jobs...)

Bank Clerk
Supermarket Till Operator
Insurance Clerk
Network Control Technician
Helpdesk Analyst
ISDN Support Technician
Senior Faults Desk Technician
NOC Engineer
3rd Line Network Engineer
IP Network Engineer
Protocol Analysis Consultant
LAMP Developer
PHP Developer
LAMP Developer

Now for the last half dozen, I haven't solely done tasks that match the descriptions, I've usually done Network and Hardware support type stuff, for example in the new job I have...

Installed VoIP kit
Setup a Monitoring System for Hardware and Software
Installed Network Cables
Specced new Laptops and Desktop kit
Re-installed OS and Apps on 4 Laptops
Learned how to use and program the Amazon EC2 Cloud

Not bad for 12 weeks...

MisterTommyH
12-10-10, 10:32 PM
Don't worry about not getting into the forces, sometimes there is no reasoning, it's just quotas - no matter how much they deny it. I got very close to being aircrew before getting binned for some obscure medical note, which was actually my GPs error. Had to apply all over again and my heart just wasn't in it. Keep applying if it's what you really want, but if it's not they will know.

After that I tried uni full time - hated it - quit.
Delivered pizza - ok but no prospects and crap hours.
Arranged debt recovery for the civil service - crap pay and really no chance of promotion not matter how hard I tried so why bother.
I finally decided I had to do something, enrolled on a part time civil engineering HNC, found a company to sponsor me on day release. Im now have a degree sponsored by that company; no student debt. And a job I like - although it stresses me out.

My point is that you can't see what's round the corner. Take any chances that come your way things have a way of working out.

grimey121uk
13-10-10, 07:35 AM
Army - Different job choices (once the acne has been treated/gone)
Navy
RAF
Motorbike mechanic - I love working on my bike and I have some qualifications/theory knowledge.
University? - I can't think of anything I want to study and I don't think I have enough UCAS points.
Apprenticeship in something.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Sorry for the almost biography, I just wanted to explain my situation fully as it might help.

Just to let you know UCAS points mean nothing once your over 21 as your classed as a mature student (so you apply direct to the uni and not through UCAS), I started uni at 21 with only a few GCSE's, graduated this july with first class honours and landed a new job the same day.

What im trying to say is don't let you past qualifications put you off further study, I also found that my "life experience" of working full time after school give me a distinct advantage over other candidates that had got all the A-Levels etc in job interviews.

Quedos
13-10-10, 09:01 AM
start with a big blank sheet of paper and write down everything that makes you smile not just job related.
i'm hopefully going through another career change at 33. Its all i've done is change after I can't do what i wnated to do.
If you really want to go into the forces then keep applying. You might find that you actually enjoy a job that you never thought about in the first place ( ie me and project mgt)

BigBaddad
13-10-10, 09:12 AM
CrapDonnalds is hiring.

Viney
13-10-10, 01:23 PM
Im 39 and still dont know what i want to do

G
13-10-10, 01:46 PM
First thing I thought is a Motorsport Degree... They are usually fairly oversubscribed though, and the jobs vacancies are n ot exactly plentiful.

Failing that how is you head for heights... and do you mind being away from home a lot? As once your back acne has cleared up and your in a position to pass a medical I know a company that is hiring.

Biker Biggles
13-10-10, 01:54 PM
Failing that how is you head for heights... and do you mind being away from home a lot? As once your back acne has cleared up and your in a position to pass a medical I know a company that is hiring.

Nepalese mountain rescue?:-D

G
13-10-10, 01:59 PM
Nepalese mountain rescue?:-D

Not quite... you have to rescue yourself in this particular job lol