PDA

View Full Version : First day on the SV.... First near miss

Stonesie
12-10-10, 08:36 PM
Firstly, I made the right choice for a first big bike:mrgreen:

On the way to work this morning a little old lady in a massive new Audi caught my eye, she was pulling out of a junction and had not even looked in my direction... My thoughts at the time were not 'U' rated... I braked and knocked it down a couple of gears, still watching her, and I thought her head was going to come off it spun round that fast. Then the car stopped dead and I trundled past at about 10mph giving my best disapproving look.

All I can think is that tiny exhaust gives quite a bark when the throttle is blipped, she must have heard it:mrgreen:

minimorecambe
12-10-10, 08:38 PM
Thats why you have to ride defensively. :)

Glad you are enjoying the SV :D

Specialone
12-10-10, 08:49 PM
In urban riding especially, i expect everyone to try and kill me, the amount of people i see driving that dont even glance in the direction they are moving into is shocking.
Mainly old people and women, not being an ass about it, just my opinion from my own experience.

Stonesie
12-10-10, 08:52 PM
Aye I know, my job is driving buses and no bugger sees them either. I had twigged she hadn't looked and would have stopped short (just) But it did get the heart going, just what you need on the way to a 11 hour shift...

The ride home was much better, the headlights are as good as on my car:D

minimorecambe
12-10-10, 08:54 PM
Other bikers are a problem aswell, mostly on the twisties.

Especially when they take a racing line around a blind corner :smt021

Stonesie
12-10-10, 09:14 PM
Other bikers are a problem aswell, mostly on the twisties.

Especially when they take a racing line around a blind corner :smt021

I've not had the pleasure of meeting such a hero, but I think plenty of them will be at squires on Sunday. It's my next day off so I may have a run up there.

I'm still getting used to cornering on the SV, slowly at the moment:-k

Speaky69
12-10-10, 09:17 PM
i had the same problem on my pushbike once, i couldve stopped, but i slowed down and just as i reached her car... slammed front brake on and jumped onto her bonnet, i was fine, bike was fine, she on the other hand im pretty sure she had a heart attack... but im sure she wont do it again anytime soon!

Ed
12-10-10, 09:27 PM
It's true, treat each and every driver like they're out to kill you and you won't go far wrong:rolleyes:

dyzio
12-10-10, 09:59 PM
Get used to it, seriously :)

Gabriel2k
13-10-10, 12:22 PM
Happens all the time and not just on the bike either, I get seriously paranoid sometimes thinking that I have somehow turned invisible!

simesb
13-10-10, 12:46 PM
It's true, treat each and every driver like they're out to kill you and you won't go far wrong:rolleyes:

Nor will you be disappointed...

collis
13-10-10, 12:50 PM
I thought i'd post my comments here...

Edit:
But as you can see they seam to be an invisible as me.

It happens all the time, i'm just glad that on the bikes we got the size and power to get out of trouble quick, drop a gear and open the throttle and cross the front bumper faster than they can blink.
I've even had a police car pull out on me once, no flashing blues from him so just a bad driver, he got a salute fitting for his actions.

Reeder
13-10-10, 12:56 PM
In all honesty, in 3k miles I don't remember anyone pulling out onto me... most people where I live seem to notice me coming.

tactcom7
13-10-10, 01:02 PM
Reeder, you sure no ones pulled out, onto you?

Chortle.

Reeder
13-10-10, 01:11 PM
:pukel:

Reeder
13-10-10, 01:12 PM
Actually I told a lie. It's happened on a roundabout :D

tactcom7
13-10-10, 01:14 PM
Gross, in daylight as well no doubt.

SoulKiss
13-10-10, 01:16 PM

The question isn't "Am I paranoid", the REAL question is "Am I paranoid ENOUGH"

Here endeth the lesson :p

yorkie_chris
13-10-10, 01:33 PM
It happens.

Be defensive.

LankyIanB
13-10-10, 02:01 PM
If you don't think they've seen you, sound the horn, that's what it's there for! When they do look accusingly at you (generally because you've disturbed their nice little sleep), wave in a friendly manner and ride past whilst looking out for the next sleepy/blind/drunk/moronic t**t who is going to try and spoil your day.

Fluffer
13-10-10, 02:04 PM
happened to me last week, an old dear changing lanes just didnt see me and cut me up..

luckily all was fine but got the heart going and gave her a blast with the nautilus airhorn (first time its happened since getting the bike and made me feel lots better). Might not have noticed me before but after a few artic lorry sounding honks i think she realised the mistake :)

recommend them and saw a couple reduced from 50 odd - 30 quid in wylie and holland the other week! bargain :)

thulfi
13-10-10, 02:52 PM
Just imagine everyone comes from a country where they drive on the other side, and never know the right way to look.

I had a woman the other day who was crossing from my right to my left. She was looking right!

EssexDave
13-10-10, 05:32 PM
If you don't think they've seen you, sound the horn, that's what it's there for! When they do look accusingly at you (generally because you've disturbed their nice little sleep), wave in a friendly manner and ride past whilst looking out for the next sleepy/blind/drunk/moronic t**t who is going to try and spoil your day.

This is the winner! I use my horn a lot, and never in anger.
Just I do advise a nice wave as you go past if you can, just to make sure they don't think you're an ****, because next time they see you they may just pull out :p

seedy100
13-10-10, 06:13 PM
**** happens.

Again

and

Again

and

Again

and yet some how it still comes as a surpirse when it happens again.

Stonesie
13-10-10, 09:25 PM
My car has twin horns that are pretty loud and I have a spare pair, looks like i've just found a new home for them...

ChrisSV
13-10-10, 09:40 PM
I even got pulled out on, whilst on a driving lesson. That made me shake, cause atleast on a bike I can get out of trouble reasonably quickly.