PDA

View Full Version : Garden visitors

minimorecambe
13-10-10, 06:48 PM
What visitors do you get to your gardens (I dont want to know about peeping toms etc)

We have a fox who comes nightly and brings her tiny cubs with her

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g137/littlehelen_2006/P1000589.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g137/littlehelen_2006/P1000579.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g137/littlehelen_2006/P1000638.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g137/littlehelen_2006/P1000631.jpg

timwilky
13-10-10, 06:49 PM
You need to get a shotgun. damm vermin.

Milky Bar Kid
13-10-10, 06:51 PM
You need to get a shotgun. damm vermin.

Nah.... she'd be better with a either a .22 or a .222 for that! But agree otherwise! LOL!

widepants
13-10-10, 06:52 PM
I'll bring ma gun when I come up.Shoot it in the leg then slap it with a phat piece of timber

minimorecambe
13-10-10, 06:55 PM
We are surrounded by fields so cant get rid of them really.
Better than rats!!

andrewsmith
13-10-10, 07:34 PM
i would have the suggy gun if i had rats

timwilky
13-10-10, 07:51 PM
Nah.... she'd be better with a either a .22 or a .222 for that! But agree otherwise! LOL!

Trouble is as you know, it is damm difficult justifying to plod that you need anything for vermin control in your garden.

I always found that if I was out with the shotgun I always saw plenty of foxes just out of range, however when ever out with the rifle I never saw one.

I have a good little cure for the local foxes these days. A jack Russell with attitude. I did get a call from extended family the other day if I still did a bit of shooting, my lads ex's dad lost 15 chickens on Monday night.

Milky Bar Kid
13-10-10, 08:06 PM
Trouble is as you know, it is damm difficult justifying to plod that you need anything for vermin control in your garden.

I always found that if I was out with the shotgun I always saw plenty of foxes just out of range, however when ever out with the rifle I never saw one.

I have a good little cure for the local foxes these days. A jack Russell with attitude. I did get a call from extended family the other day if I still did a bit of shooting, my lads ex's dad lost 15 chickens on Monday night.

Joy of living in rural Scotland eh?!?!

Sally
13-10-10, 11:56 PM
Yeah we all have rifles in the sticks :)

collis
14-10-10, 11:49 AM
Well, I cant say much about my garden, rather boring in comparison to what My parents get out the back garden...
They call them the Garden Gnomes.

Biker Biggles
14-10-10, 05:42 PM
I wouldnt point a shotgun at that.

hindle8907
15-10-10, 10:05 AM
I wouldnt point a shotgun at that.

:smt040

Owenski
15-10-10, 10:10 AM
I like foxes, I think they're cute.
I know they're vicous vermin etc but Im sure if lions and tigers werent kept in parks but were allowed to roam properly free then they'd be just the same, killing live stock etc.

Btw, Im not saying fox hunting is bad tut tut, nor am I saying farmers shouldnt shoot them etc I know they're a pain, I know they can cost people fortunes so in turn Im aware that for some people (wilky been one) the sight of a fox prob boils the blood. All Im literally saying is; to me (so far) they've caused no foul so I just see a skinny dog/cat hybrid thing and hence quite cute.

15-10-10, 10:12 AM

Correct..

you have to be within 30 yards of a fox ideally with a Big load in the cartridge to be fair to it.

Jayneflakes
15-10-10, 11:06 PM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g137/littlehelen_2006/P1000638.jpg

Just Beautiful. :cheers:

We have a family of urban foxes near us and I love them, even if they do go through the rubbish when the council don't bother to collect it! I see that as a fault of the council as opposed to the fox though.

These animals must be Britain's last large predators, everything else being hunted to extinction. We had bears in this country once you know and Wolves, all gone now though. :smt011

missyburd
15-10-10, 11:09 PM
Well I think foxes are beautiful pains in the necks for farmers ... ;)

minimorecambe
15-10-10, 11:16 PM
I have pics of the cubs somewhere that I will find for you :)

Ed
16-10-10, 08:20 AM
Hard cases make bad law.

Yes they look pretty. But foxes are a nuisance around here, killing chickens mainly. You wouldn't think them so cute if they killed your flock.

G
16-10-10, 08:44 AM
I think they are awesome.

They were here before people decided to keep chickens in their garden FFS. I hate the UK decision making ethos... 'if its a annoying or dangerous we must get rid of it'

missyburd
16-10-10, 09:29 AM
They were here before people decided to keep chickens in their garden FFS.
Weird, I was just coming back to this thread to type something similar. At the end of the day the foxes are simply exploiting a food source that has effectively "been handed to them on a plate". If you were a starving animal and saw a group of fat flightless birds with just a bit of wire separating you, wouldn't you be overcome with greed? And fair enough, they might kill them all at once and only eat a few, but I'm sure a fox's mentality doesn't assume a man will come and remove them all before the fox gets a chance to eat them. Makes sense to kill them all before they get away?

Now I do understand they're a pain in the neck but surely it just means you should protect your chickens and other poultry better? No point getting at an animal that is making the best of a seemingly easy situation.

As for the fox that attacked a child in the news, well that was down to human error again and to be honest, I think it's acted as a warning to parents to not take nature for granted. If you were in Africa you would not leave your sliding doors open (if you were lucky to have any) for fear of being attacked by something a lot bigger. Foxes are just wild dogs, we should be fortunate the wolves are not back in the countryside yet! I blame Basil Brush! :lol:

maviczap
16-10-10, 09:53 AM
Hard cases make bad law.

Yes they look pretty. But foxes are a nuisance around here, killing chickens mainly. You wouldn't think them so cute if they killed your flock.

Same goes for Otters, seen as cute by all, but top predator in its food chain. Kills fish much lager than its self, but doesn't eat the whole fish

Released from Otter sanctuaries in this area without permission in an area where the their river eco systems have been ravaged by over abstraction of water, polloution which turns male fish into female, predation by cormorants and general lack of water management by the Enviroment Agency.

They wanted to reintroduce Sea Eagles in this area, but the farmers complained they'ed take their livestock

Same goes for Eagle owls. Once native to the UK, they'ed have trouble with cat owners if they tried to re-introduce them, as Tibbles would also be on the menu

missyburd
16-10-10, 10:06 AM
I must admit I'm not a fan of this re-introducing malarky. It's our fault these species are no longer here in the UK and then just as the ecosystems adjust to not having the top predators about we're deciding to have them back?

maviczap
16-10-10, 10:11 AM
I must admit I'm not a fan of this re-introducing malarky. It's our fault these species are no longer here in the UK and then just as the ecosystems adjust to not having the top predators about we're deciding to have them back?

I'm fully in agreement with you MYC, the Otter is a prime example of ametuers releasing an animal without a proper study to see what the effect would be.

At least with the Sea Eagle there was going to be a study to the envioromental impact

Biker Biggles
18-10-10, 04:59 PM
Id like to see everything reintroduced,Bears Wolves Dinosaurs the lot.
Imagine a Wooly Mammoth stomping down Oxford Street.

seedy100
18-10-10, 07:27 PM
Same goes for Eagle owls. Once native to the UK, they'ed have trouble with cat owners if they tried to re-introduce them, as Tibbles would also be on the menu

And this is the best argument i have heard for reintroducing them!

punyXpress
18-10-10, 10:21 PM
Id like to see everything reintroduced,Bears Wolves Dinosaurs the lot.
Imagine a Wooly Mammoth stomping down Oxford Street.
I saw one when I worked down there - she gave me a parking ticket! Got off though. ;)

Biker Biggles
19-10-10, 03:57 PM
Oi.Thats my wife you are talking about:batman:

I will be in so much trouble if she sees this.:twisted: