PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a decent versatile blu-ray player

Paul the 6th
14-10-10, 10:06 AM
Doing a bit of christmas shopping online and thinking of getting my parents a blu-ray player as they seem to enjoy their films & stuff...

The moneysavingexpert article on blu-ray players hasn't been updated since 5th january this year. Ideally the player should be multi-region and also able to play compressed formats like .mkv and divx amongst others.

I know these have been around for a while but on the ebuyer site there are products listed as "DVD player 1080p HMDI" and then others actually listed as "Blu-Ray DVD player 1080p etc..." the ones without the tag 'blu-ray' are around £25-£40 where as ones with blu-ray are nearer £80 all the way upto hundreds of pounds..

Any help on this would be gratefully appreciated :)

collis
14-10-10, 11:34 AM
The ones without "Blu-Ray" are HDMI up-scaling DVD players, meaning that they will output at 1080p but still only at the quality of what is put in there, If you want a Blu-Ray player you need to buy one that is labeled as a Blu-Ray player.

Just a quick scount on eBuyer and found this:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/192818
A followup on google provides the region removing codes (although they may or may-not work for the Blu-Ray part):
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/303wm-unlock-the-samsung-bdp1580

Paul the 6th
14-10-10, 11:49 AM
cheers collis - found this one on ebuyer for £120 - http://www.froogle.prcdirect.co.uk/blu-ray/blu-ray-player/bdc5300/product but then found it on prcdirect.co.uk with 6 movies thrown in (albeit mainly crap ones) for under £100... Only catch is the hdmi cable's are sold seperately.

cnet reviews pointed out that the load times are a major consideration with most of the samsung players loading films in under a minute (quickest was 42 seconds - around 8 seconds quicker than a ps3 :D)..

My dad is a bit of a samsung fanboy as it is (tv, HDD recorder and laptops amongst other gadgets) so a samsung Blu-Ray will prolly serve them well (he's gonna have to re-buy CSI and Spooks on Blu-ray now!)

tigersaw
14-10-10, 12:59 PM
I got a samsung blu ray thrown in with a surround sound at richer sounds, I think it was / is £79. Actually very good, does all you mentioned, memory stick slot on the front. Dunno about multi region though, never needed to find out.

warrenhewitt10
14-10-10, 01:51 PM
i paid £80 quid for my phillips blu ray in argos, has done me fine since, has coaxial and hdmi outputs, ethernet, usb, brilliant thing for the price

Owenski
14-10-10, 01:52 PM
Ps3
more than just a blu-ray player ;)

amnesia
14-10-10, 01:55 PM
Only catch is the hdmi cable's are sold seperately.

Don't pay lots for a HDMI cable - certainly under a tenner.

Paul the 6th
14-10-10, 02:38 PM
Ps3
more than just a blu-ray player ;)

I know, but my old man is 62 in january - can't see him mashing up awpers in free for all mode on COD5 - or - complete gran turismo 5 on the hardest setting :razz:

thanks for the tip off amnesia, prcdirect are cross selling hmdi cables under the main bluray product info at around £19 for 1.5m for 'platinum' or 'cheesium' or something... Will search out a cheaper bargain :)

14-10-10, 02:45 PM
UNOBTANIUM HDMI CABLES...

all a rip off...

cheap as you like (ish) will do fine..

L3nny
14-10-10, 02:47 PM
Christmas Shopping!!!!! You do realise it's October?

Don't believe the lies about getting an expensive HDMI cable giving better picture quality, just get the cheapest one you can find on Ebay which are under £2.

One thing some DVD players offer is internet connection, some Blu Rays have interactive special features on them. Although with all special features they are usually crap.

Owenski
14-10-10, 02:51 PM
I know, but my old man is 62 in january - can't see him mashing up awpers in free for all mode on COD5 - or - complete gran turismo 5 on the hardest setting :razz:

thanks for the tip off amnesia, prcdirect are cross selling hmdi cables under the main bluray product info at around £19 for 1.5m for 'platinum' or 'cheesium' or something... Will search out a cheaper bargain :)

yeah but in fairness your dads not the 62 year old whos never turned on so much as a washine machine, he's tech smart ps3 will be fine for him especially when you can get the remotes so you're not having to use the cont'pad

Paul the 6th
15-10-10, 07:25 AM
.... so you're not having to use the cont'pad

That is no way to refer to my mother Matthew..

Owenski
15-10-10, 08:08 AM
the way i refer to your mother is a secret kept between me and her.

Paul the 6th
15-10-10, 09:14 AM
no.

....she told me & my dad but asked is not to tell anyone else :razz:

Owenski
15-10-10, 09:38 AM
i've got some news for you son, I am your dad!

maviczap
15-10-10, 10:47 AM
cheers collis - found this one on ebuyer for £120 - http://www.froogle.prcdirect.co.uk/blu-ray/blu-ray-player/bdc5300/product but then found it on prcdirect.co.uk with 6 movies thrown in (albeit mainly crap ones) for under £100

Nothing wrong with Toy Story & Up :D

Paul the 6th
15-10-10, 10:56 AM
toy story and up are fantastic films zap :) it's mamma mia and the other muck which comes with them lol...

hindle8907
15-10-10, 10:58 AM
if you getting you hands on .MKV's then why do you want a blu ray player ?
Just get media server that supports HD 1080p playback , for around 60-70 quid, drag and drop your MKV movies onto a USB HDD or Dongle and bobs ur tea pot. or you can even steam the 720p ones over your WAN from your PC or if they are 1080p you'll have to use LAN.

maviczap
15-10-10, 11:17 AM
toy story and up are fantastic films zap :) it's mamma mia and the other muck which comes with them lol...

Aye, but its your mum and dad you're buying for, so they might like Mamma Mia :D

Anyway I bought one of these, not blueray, but upscales to DVD to 1080P, has a USB & SD card slot on the front panel

I played a standard DVD on it and quality is excellent. If you parents are techie enough then they could convert films and store them on a USB or SD card

Its small enough to cart around, or to use with a portable TV. For £24.99 I can't fault it. It gets really good reviews on Ebuyer too

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139176

barwel1992
16-10-10, 02:04 AM
get a sony bdp s360