PDA

View Full Version : Bombing on Salisbury...

gruntygiggles
14-10-10, 08:53 PM
Is making the house shake and we're almost 20 miles away. There have been explosions going off for quite a while now, very very loud even from here and it's weird leaning against the door and feeling it shudder!

Anyone know how we can find out more. I am most curious :-)

DarrenSV650S
14-10-10, 08:55 PM
We have a lot of gunfire here sometimes from barry budden. Not really house shaking stuff but it's really loud

minimorecambe
14-10-10, 08:56 PM
We have gun fire here aswell - but thats from the estate near us!

andrewsmith
14-10-10, 08:57 PM
we hear Otterburn on a run as it is over our house

andyb
14-10-10, 08:59 PM
I'm guessing you'll be near the plain?? Will be the Army on build-up training, not sure if you'll find out much more though.

Holdup
14-10-10, 09:05 PM
I used to live right oposite an army barracks, was great when you could hear them shooting and being about 7 at the time was even better :D

diamond
14-10-10, 09:07 PM
DSTL have been doing some fairly 'heavy duty' work all week, plenty of big bangs. The ranges are open there tonight so probably some field tests going on.

Lozzo
14-10-10, 09:16 PM
Is making the house shake and we're almost 20 miles away. There have been explosions going off for quite a while now, very very loud even from here and it's weird leaning against the door and feeling it shudder!

Anyone know how we can find out more. I am most curious :-)

That means my ex is going to be a little busy later. She does EOD from her workplace at Porton Down.

_Stretchie_
14-10-10, 09:19 PM
Been working in Devizes for two years and hear the guns alot, I used to think it was a skip company nearby or something with all the noise until someone told me.

Devizes is 8 miles closer to the plains than where we live and I've never heard and felt it this loud before.

Google, as always, is your friend

October will see a significant increase in training across the Plain with the main event being a double TESEX (using the Army Weapons Effect Simulation system), involving 1200 troops from 2nd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers and 2nd Battalion the Royal Gurkha Rifles. This exercise will run from 9 – 29 October and will include some armoured opposing forces, and increased low level air activity involving both helicopters and fast jets both day and night.

FIRING NOISE

The 3rd (UK) Division artillery concentration, Ex IRON STORM, will take place from 11 – 21 October with 1 RHA converting to AS 90 155mm self propelled guns. This exercise will have a live firing phase from 13 – 19 October during which there may be increased noise levels that will be monitored to ensure they do not exceed the permissible level. Although some may find the noise intrusive, it is well below legal limits.
AS90 night firing will take place on Thursday 14 October, Saturday 16 October and Tuesday 19 October.

Good job I'm getting nissed as a pewt with Saxo this weekend then

-Ralph-
14-10-10, 09:30 PM
It's the Oxtail cow pie, with suet top that I had last night, sorry everyone.

_Stretchie_
14-10-10, 09:30 PM
I just did a google image search for "AS 90 155mm self propelled guns" and got this.... (I'm guessing there are many different formats in which the gun itself can be carried but these looked cool)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/Stretchie_/Stuff%20for%20posting/as90.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/Stretchie_/Stuff%20for%20posting/as902.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/Stretchie_/Stuff%20for%20posting/as903.jpg

gruntygiggles
14-10-10, 09:54 PM
I'm guessing you'll be near the plain?? Will be the Army on build-up training, not sure if you'll find out much more though.

We're 20 miles away, so it's quite shocking how loud they are, but even more so how much of a shock the house is feeling. One of the blasts made the tv have a wobble!

Milky Bar Kid
14-10-10, 09:56 PM
Cheryl, admit it, it's you farting again, isn't it??

gruntygiggles
14-10-10, 10:00 PM
Not this time Nic....it's like a scene out of Mary Poppins when I let rip...people have to go around the house holding on to all the breakables until I have finished ;-)

Milky Bar Kid
14-10-10, 10:00 PM
Not this time Nic....it's like a scene out of Mary Poppins when I let rip...people have to go around the house holding on to all the breakables until I have finished ;-)

She's not joking either.....[-o<

gruntygiggles
14-10-10, 10:06 PM
And back on topic - because it is really interesting being here with this going on...the website doesn't say how long each exercise will be. So far, there have been four seperate exercises, each lasting about 5 minutes with 1-3 blasts per minute. Last lot ended about 5 minutes ago.

I don't care about losing sleep, but if it's like this from 20 miles away, it must be a nightmare for those living closer.

Jamesy D
14-10-10, 10:16 PM
I just did a google image search for "AS 90 155mm self propelled guns" and got this.... (I'm guessing there are many different formats in which the gun itself can be carried but these looked cool)

Hate to be pedantic... but the last one isn't an AS90 :P

Yeeah, 155's have a tendency to make things go bang very loudly. Been on both ends of fires (well... I was about a mile away from the impacts but it's close enough believe me!) and you'll certainly feel it. But if you have a sight of the firing points at night it's something to behold. Sends shivers down my spine.

And people still ask me why I want to be a Gunner :P

El Saxo
14-10-10, 10:37 PM
Good job I'm getting nissed as a pewt with Saxo this weekend then

So you can get away from the loud noises and gunfire? Have you forgotten I live in Manchester nowadays? ;)

squirrel_hunter
14-10-10, 11:14 PM
I am reminded of this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/757788.stm) story...

davepreston
14-10-10, 11:59 PM
jd a mile away, christ ya big poof try 100m now thats interesting

gruntygiggles
15-10-10, 07:52 AM
My dad heard two explosions this morning from Caldicot in South Wales FFS. I am dubious as to the origin of those bangs, they didn't wake me or Dan up and would have ot be incredible for dad to hear them. They are 61 miles apart!

neio79
15-10-10, 07:56 AM
And people still ask me why I want to be a Gunner :P

Because you are to dumb to join a real Corps ;):)