PDA

View Full Version : UTag - In Case of Emergency

Amanda
14-10-10, 09:16 PM
Just got some UTags in store. Not knowing what they were I'm genuinely impressed so much so that I bought one myself today.

UTag is a "digital dogtag" which incorporates a fold out USB connection. When plugged into any PC/Laptop/Netbook, will bring up your personal details like emergency contacts, Doctor's details, medical info like allergies etc. Vital if you are unable to communicate.

Noone likes to think about having an accident but if it does happen then the best thing is to be prepared. The pack also has helmet stickers to show that the rider has a Utag on them.

Very clever stuff.

minimorecambe
14-10-10, 09:17 PM
I have one attatched in a bracelet :)

speedplay
14-10-10, 09:19 PM
Great idea, apart from the fact that most offices/hospitals wont plug in any sort of USB device in case of viruses.

DarrenSV650S
14-10-10, 09:21 PM
Great idea, apart from the fact that most offices/hospitals wont plug in any sort of USB device in case of viruses.

and any info they can get from it they can get from your wallet or phone. Doubt they'd pay any attention to the utag tbh

simesb
14-10-10, 09:22 PM
And paramedics won't be able to use it either. It is a shame, because I think the principal is good...

Jamesy D
14-10-10, 09:29 PM
I know of a couple of racers that use them, and I want one especially for when I go overseas. Not even on the bike - just good to have all that stuff digitally with me that I can download pretty much anywhere. Peace of mind if nothing else.

Looks like that's something else to order through work...

the_lone_wolf
14-10-10, 09:34 PM
I used one for the Morocco trip, kept my medical records to hand if they're required but also digital scans of my important documents in case they got lost

Only annoyance was the thing tended to open without the rubber lip around it and with it it was a little bulky, but nothing too bad

madnlooney
14-10-10, 10:14 PM
i have the same sort of thing on my phone, Its on the lockscreen too which will bring up all details. As long as the screen isnt broken when needed of course

amnesia
15-10-10, 06:54 AM
On the face of it the UTag is a great idea, but I have been told by an A+E nurse that the local hospital (and possibly country-wide) are not allowed to connect them to their PC's (as previously mentioned).

Dog tags for me. Cheap and simple. Name, DOB, ICE numbers and blood group.

Stig
15-10-10, 07:05 AM
Principle is a good idea. But there are so many alternative better ideas out there. Why try to re-invent the wheel?

Quedos
15-10-10, 07:42 AM
Having just done promtion of ICE and incorporated Utag into this I know, that in Scotland anyway, all ambulances will be fitted with laptops to gain this information M/C Para will carry smaller devices (where i'm not sure) I trained most of central west and east and the problem is that most do not know about it and there are so many different type and designs that can vary. They still agree the phone is the best way to carry any information on this but paper version and the tags are what they look for.
Out of X numbers of calls so far including 4 fatalities and 2 m/c accident the paras have not needed to utilise the infomation Though the feedback is that it is easier to find dogtag/utag at a scene rather than search for paper/wallet phone (from across all 3 bluelight service)
It think as Stig says there are so many different alternatives its knowing whats out there which is a big training issue for the emergency services.

amnesia
15-10-10, 08:26 AM
...that in Scotland anyway, all ambulances will be fitted with laptops to gain this information M/C Para will carry smaller devices (where i'm not sure)...

Bloody typical - different areas having different policies.

yorkie_chris
15-10-10, 09:14 AM
Dog tags for me. Cheap and simple. Name, DOB, ICE numbers and blood group.

Yeah seems the best option... not going to get damaged/lost unless your head has fallen off in which case you probably don't need a transfusion much.

I don't know what blood group I am... but does it actually matter to have it on dog tags as they'd check before giving you blood anyway?

AndyBrad
15-10-10, 09:29 AM
The best thing ive seen is a bit of paper i was given at the gm rideout! Its ace.

Make your own for free here and stick it in your wallet. Everyones a winner
http://www.medids.com/free-id.php#PRIVACY

Quedos
15-10-10, 09:44 AM
The best thing ive seen is a bit of paper i was given at the gm rideout! Its ace.

Make your own for free here and stick it in your wallet. Everyones a winner
http://www.medids.com/free-id.php#PRIVACY

or anybody want that bit of paper I can send it out to them - still got 3000 of them under my desk

AndyBrad
15-10-10, 09:46 AM
oooh an i have a few? could do with about 15 for people i know.

Quedos
15-10-10, 09:47 AM
Pm you addy and i'll get them out to you

amnesia
15-10-10, 11:17 AM
but does it actually matter to have it on dog tags as they'd check before giving you blood anyway?

I am sure they will check your blood type before pumping you full of pig's blood or watered down ketchup. I'm not quite sure why we put ours on to be honest - but it does fill the space quite nicely.

Other information I have seen added to dog tags is allergies or medical conditions that could affect treatment.

aaron020873
06-12-10, 09:41 PM
it's been a while since this thread was started, and was wondering if anyone has anymore info on these utags? I.E are they more recognised by emergency services etc yet? i was thinking of getting one for chrimbo but if they are a waste of time i'll get something else.

Dave20046
06-12-10, 10:07 PM
Just get regular dogtags with your vitals on or put something in your wallet

Speedy Claire
07-12-10, 07:44 AM
I looked at these a few years ago and as the others say it`s good in pricinpal however I was told that most hopsitals won`t plug them in.. as somebody else has said it`s due to viruses.

For the last year most health authorities were supposed to be changing over to theLorenzo computer system and the idea is that wherever you are in the country your medical information can be obtained immediately by hospitals and GP`s.

I`d say the single most important thing to carry with you is your personal details ie. name, address and NOK with a contact number.

kaivalagi
07-12-10, 08:15 AM
Those cards as they stand are a bad idea if they have your address on them, you don't want that in your wallet! That's why my licence is always in a separate bike jacket pocket.

I have my ICE numbers written clearly on a post-it visible inside my wallet and also entered in my phone too.

Dave20046
07-12-10, 09:32 PM
Those cards as they stand are a bad idea if they have your address on them, you don't want that in your wallet! That's why my licence is always in a separate bike jacket pocket.

I have my ICE numbers written clearly on a post-it visible inside my wallet and also entered in my phone too.

Why don't you want your address in your wallet ? (probably a daft question...cause it's with your bank cards or something?)

I lost my wallet in the early hours of the morning and some kind bloke got my address off my license and dropped it in for me before I'd even woke up and realised it'd gone, was ace!
Extreme rarity though..

kaivalagi
07-12-10, 09:47 PM
Why don't you want your address in your wallet ? (probably a daft question...cause it's with your bank cards or something?)

I lost my wallet in the early hours of the morning and some kind bloke got my address off my license and dropped it in for me before I'd even woke up and realised it'd gone, was ace!
Extreme rarity though..

Yep, having an address with credit cards is asking for fraud/identity theft if your wallet is lost and found by the wrong person or stolen. My wallet has my ICE numbers on it so I would hope if someone wanted to do the right thing they'd call those numbers...

Glad to hear there are still nice people out there!

Since being pick pocketed twice, once in Manchester when I was a student and again in Fiji much more recently I don't take chances anymore ;)

Dave20046
07-12-10, 09:52 PM
Yep, having an address with credit cards is asking for fraud/identity theft if your wallet is lost and found by the wrong person or stolen. My wallet has my ICE numbers on it so I would hope if someone wanted to do the right thing they'd call those numbers...

Glad to hear there are still nice people out there!

Since being pick pocketed twice, once in Manchester when I was a student and again in Fiji much more recently I don't take chances anymore ;)

cheers, one to think about. can see me just losing my license if it isn't in my wallet though.

kaivalagi
07-12-10, 09:54 PM
cheers, one to think about. can see me just losing my license if it isn't in my wallet though.

My license is in the inside zipped pocket of my bike jacket, I just leave it there...

Dave20046
07-12-10, 09:57 PM
My license is in the inside zipped pocket of my bike jacket, I just leave it there...

I need to show ID at work almost daily, + as a youf it's useful to have on me incase I need boozes. Hmm, might just get a separate card wallet.

kaivalagi
07-12-10, 10:03 PM
It's definitely worth getting into a habit and keeping the licence separate to your wallet, just in a different pocket will do...

Speedy Claire
07-12-10, 10:16 PM
I was given a really hand NOK/emergency info card at the bike show recently. Basically I was told that you fill in the info on the card then tuck it inside your helmet lining where it will stay. On the outside of the card is a small orange sticker that you then stick on your helmet. I was told that paramedics will now be looking for the orange stickers and if they see one they know that you have the info inside your helmet lining.

That to me sounds the easiest idea.. sometime the simple ones are the best.

Biker Biggles
07-12-10, 10:32 PM
I reckon that if you are in such a bad state that you cant tell the medics about yourself they will be far too busy trying to save your life to worry about ICE stuff stuck in your pocket or lid.On the other hand if you are not that bad-----it wont matter.
Theres a few points that might be relevant,like being diabetic or having certain medical allergies,but this sort of thing can be covered by a "medic alert" bracelet.As has been the case for as long as I can remember.Id say dont complicate life with more stuff you dont really need.

Dave20046
07-12-10, 10:32 PM
I was given a really hand NOK/emergency info card at the bike show recently. Basically I was told that you fill in the info on the card then tuck it inside your helmet lining where it will stay. On the outside of the card is a small orange sticker that you then stick on your helmet. I was told that paramedics will now be looking for the orange stickers and if they see one they know that you have the info inside your helmet lining.

That to me sounds the easiest idea.. sometime the simple ones are the best.

See now there's a problem, I picked up a similar thing down south but the paramedics were to look in your wallet for the card not the helmet lining. There should be something standardized!