PDA

View Full Version : snow boarding kit

kitkat
18-10-10, 07:57 AM
looking for some names for snowboard clothing. My son has had a few lessons and is quite into snowboarding. Had a look on ebay for trousers but there are so many names I dont know what are good names. I dont want to spend a fortune. His birthday is 4 days after xmas and am going to get him some more lessons. He wore jeans last time and got soaked. He will be starting a junior snowboarding club in the new year and they do all the freestyle stuff. dont want to get him stuff that will embarrass him in front of those in the know. Oh and he wont wear all the bright coloured stuff. He is nearly 14 and about 5' 2 and skinny so I dont think small mens stuff will fit. also are there any stockists near aldershot that he can try stuff on for fit. thanx in advance.

Tara
18-10-10, 08:13 AM
I think i may have my old black snowboarding pants in the loft if i have you can have them

Davies
18-10-10, 08:18 AM
Good names are Burton, Quiksilver, Rip Curl, Analog, Volcom, Vans.......the list goes on :D

If you have the time I'd give these lot a call:

http://www.snowboard-asylum.com (http://www.ellis-brigham.com/snowboard-pants/store/mens/)

They are by far the best shop I have ever been to in terms of no bulls**ting and they take time to make sure you've got the right kit.

RichT
18-10-10, 08:20 AM
Westbeach is a good brand. Any of the surf brands (Oakley, Oneil, Quicksilver) are usually ok. Take a look at Ellis Bingham's site for ideas, but don't pay their prices.

Columbia is a good brand, but not sexy and Trespass is usually good kit for the money.

fizzwheel
18-10-10, 08:37 AM
As per the others, also look at kit by Level as well.

If he is doing freestyle stuff, you might want to think about protective kit, wrist guards, helmet etc, mind you at 14 years old whats the chances of him wearing the helmet.

If I had had my gloves on with the wrist guards built in, my wrist wouldnt have bent in a direction that it wasnt designed to go in and it wouldnt have broken in 2009.

Its worth thinking about IMHO.

RichT
18-10-10, 10:15 AM
+1 for the helmet over beanie approach.

malks
18-10-10, 05:47 PM
I have an old pair of rossignol trousers/sallopettes and a bonfire volt jacket lying in the cupboard if u want them. I have new jacket/ trousers if u want them. jacket in great condition and trousers a bit trodden on at the back/bottom (im not the tallest!) if u want I can post them down and if they don't fit or he doesn't like them just send them back I'll not be offended. I'd rather they went to a good home and if someone could use them!

that way instead of buying clothing for him u could maybe get boots or a board!

but seriously look around on the net, I've always bought last seasons gear in a sale. always plenty of sales on, kit only has a short shelf life being 'in season'.

try tk maxx tho, they quite often have a lot of branded gear going at ridiculously cheap prices.

could also try www.snowboardclub.co.uk they have a good forum with some good advice and stuff for sale.

hmmm can't think of anything else to add really. if your interested in the kit give me a wee pm and I'll see what I can do

BigBaddad
19-10-10, 10:40 AM
TX Maxx....Just bough snow sports gear for my family and myself.....you have to keep popping in the check stock and they do have some rubbish.

They've had a fair bit a Rossignol (good kit) kit all jackets are £100 and trousers £50. Be aware Rossingol have 3 levels of water proofness 5k, 10k and 20k but are all the same price. So buy the higher spec.

I've bough Rossingol Jacket £100 (£375 list) Goldwin Race Pants £80 ($600 list) and Level Gloves £30 (£80 list) £210 better than 75% off list.

Cheapest stuff in TK's is Jackets £35, pants £20, gloves £15. For snow boarding make sure its bit bit loose or stretchy. Trespass do budget kit and you have Surfantic and Shreadz Slightly more.

ophic
19-10-10, 10:49 AM
I snowboarded in my bike kit. I looked like robocop of the slopes ie a prat. But it did the job :cool:

kitkat
19-10-10, 05:09 PM
thanx for all advice. thanx for the offer of free stuff but its for his xmas - Im a tight jock but not that tight lol.