PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire Dales Proposal

orose
31-10-10, 08:49 PM
Why?
As much as I like Eds proposal, we were in Wales last year. We haven't been oop north since 2007 from what I've read, so maybe its time...

So whats your idea?
I want to show off the area where I go to play, and this is far enough away for you lot not to ruin it for me...
More seriously, this is the part of Yorkshire which is picture postcard beautiful in most weathers... even the snow, as the Hardy Bikers photos prove.

Where are you basing yourself?
The plan, if they'll still have us, is to head to the Dalesbridge centre at Austwick, which is near Settle. As you've probably never heard of the place, its 50 miles to Leeds and 70 to Newcastle or the Scottish border. On the other hand, it is 120m to Birmingham and 200m to London.

So what facilities are there?
Like last years, everything can be catered for on-site - there are bunkhouses and B&B on site and it looks like we can get an area of the camping fields exclusively for our own use. There are also other facilities nearby in Austwick (about 1/4 mile from the site), and the closest thing to civilisation is down at Settle. Dizzy and crew took a trip up to the site and took some photos - they're up over in this thread (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=156226)

Whats it going to cost me?
Looking at the current provisional rates, tents would be £4 plus £5 per person in. However, for a bonafide group booking the owners are willing to drop the tent fees, making it £5 a head per night. We have been warned that there may be a small increase in the new year, but this should be no more than £1.

Right, so I'm comfortable and settled... where are we going for a ride?
I thought a nice meander around the national park (680 square miles, so there should be some decent roads in there). I've got some rough ideas for where, but I'm keeping them under my helmet until I've done a proper recee.

Anything else I need to know?
Well, I'm aiming to be up on site from Thursday through to Monday. We had a brief discussion in the PM about rideouts routes, and did decide that there are some areas where the full group would overwhelm the road. The aim is to maybe run a secondary ride on those roads on the Sunday if there is any interest.
Dogs are allowed on site (£1.50 per night), but owners need to be responsible for them and clean up afterwards. The same applies to children, except they're more expensive.

Why so short?
I wanted to get something up before the Sunday deadline... can't let it not go to a vote at least ;)

dizzyblonde
01-11-10, 04:34 PM
Thanks for taking over from me Orose, heres hoping the hard work pulls off.

Milky Bar Kid
01-11-10, 04:36 PM
But everyone in yorkshire is grumpy and tight............

*running away*

dizzyblonde
01-11-10, 04:41 PM
Just because I'm like that doesn't mean everyone else is ;-)

Dave20046
01-11-10, 05:43 PM

*running away*

Says the jock :smt102

:eye:

I like it orose :thumleft:

orose
01-11-10, 05:58 PM
Thanks for taking over from me Orose, heres hoping the hard work pulls off.

Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that...

SoulKiss
01-11-10, 06:03 PM
You forgot about the nearby Little Chef...

Shame on you :)

Was a good site in 07, no complaints about it at all.

Fruity-ya-ya
12-11-10, 04:29 PM

*running away*

Not everyone, but I do see your point.

Now come peeps get voting!
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?p=2419572#post2419572

orose
12-11-10, 05:41 PM
I'm not allowed to be tight, it costs too much...

Bri w
12-11-10, 09:24 PM

*running away*

bu99er off, and no I won't lend you any money.;)

NickWilde123
13-11-10, 05:24 PM
one slight problem that orger's might want to no is that it is on the A65, over used and over policed, but its all good when you get onto the smaller roads

orose
13-11-10, 05:35 PM
Just means its easier to get to - rideout will take the first turn into the uncivilised great outdoors, or at a push the second ;)

NickWilde123
13-11-10, 05:49 PM
awsome and even better for me is that its about 30mins up the road :D

ManxMatt34
13-11-10, 07:50 PM
Told Rach about this Ollie and she's already up for coming over, we'd probably book a week off work and head off to her families afterwards towards ye-olde-doncaster and huddersfield.

Good look with planning and if this gets voted Ollie count me as already there :)

dizzyblonde
13-11-10, 09:06 PM
one slight problem that orger's might want to no is that it is on the A65, over used and over policed, but its all good when you get onto the smaller roads

Well I can safely say, having been up there a few times, there is no way on this earth that folk won't be able to find it:smt039

Bluefish
14-11-10, 11:31 AM
blimey this is miles away from me, 24.9 to be precise and 41 mins lol don't think it takes that long to get there, so an easy journey if i have to work on the fri, not planing to though. Bring it on. :D

Stig
15-11-10, 01:23 PM
270+ miles for me and Foxy. Got some planning of my own to get done. :)

fenjer
16-11-10, 11:02 AM
183miles for me - hoping to be there too!

mattSV
16-11-10, 01:16 PM
Hmmm - 5hours / 300 miles each way for me :(

Stig
16-11-10, 02:21 PM
I think Lisa and I will do each trip over a couple of days.

dizzyblonde
16-11-10, 02:29 PM
There are many that travel miles and miles for these events. If folk wanna attend so much, mileage shouldn't be an issue, its all part of the adventure.
Even if this was elsewhere, I'd be travelling no matter what....but then I'm a nutter and don't seem to notice riding three hundred miles to a weekend of fun and back, I do that bit for fun anyways hehehehehe!!!

missyburd
16-11-10, 02:52 PM

I'd have thought that was a mere toddle down the road for you Matt, especially this year after doing Scotland AND Europe!

I don't know why mileage should be an issue, every year the same issue arises, too far for some and hardly anything for others. At least the folks from bonnie Scotland can be repaid for helping with the organisation of the GMs year after year by letting someone else do the work. Yorkshire's bang in the middle of the UK so noone should be making excuses! :-P

keith_d
16-11-10, 03:10 PM
About 260 miles each way by motorway, probably nearer 300 miles by any reasonable route. Sounds like I'll need to book Friday off.

Keith.

missyburd
16-11-10, 03:13 PM
Sounds like I'll need to book Friday off.

That's what we normally end up doing. Makes it a far more relaxed do :-)

Fruity-ya-ya
16-11-10, 03:17 PM
Yorkshire's bang in the middle of the UK so noone should be making excuses! :-P
All I've got to do is book the time off work.

Oh yes, and then ask permission from the boss.
I'm of course I mean the Mrs.

I'm under no illusions, despite me wearing the trousers, I still have to 'agree' (beg) on stuff like taking a trip without her or the nipper.

I'd love for her to come along but I doubt she will ever willingly rough it in a tent.
Plus I'd have to get the seat recovered to help prevent numb bum.

Maybe I'll keep plugging away, you never know she might break.

Ed
16-11-10, 05:35 PM
135 miles for me up the very pretty M6.

Mileage not an issue:D

timwilky
16-11-10, 05:44 PM
about 40 miles for me if I take the scenic route.

But I ask you. why Yorkshire? It is full of miserable grumpy old men, who don't realise they lost at everything.

Scrapping, footy, cricket. They all play second fiddle to the red rose.

why is the Lancs rose red and the york rose white?

Cos they're too tight to buy any colour for it.

maviczap
16-11-10, 06:04 PM
Feck me 262 miles :rolleyes:

5hrs A14 - A1 :puker:

Are there any polar bears about, its that far North, I'm worried ;)

Good job I bought Paiste's gel seats, although my **** is still going to ache after that long in the saddle

May book the Monday off, so I can ride home at my leisure

minimorecambe
16-11-10, 06:15 PM
Its a huge 24 Miles from me :D

orose
16-11-10, 07:36 PM
about 40 miles for me if I take the scenic route.

But I ask you. why Yorkshire? It is full of miserable grumpy old men, who don't realise they lost at everything.

Scrapping, footy, cricket. They all play second fiddle to the red rose.

why is the Lancs rose red and the york rose white?

Cos they're too tight to buy any colour for it.

I put it to you good sir, that your sorry excuse for a county contains no decent highways worth traversing and no-one man (or woman) enough to put their heads above the parapet and propose a venue for an event as fine as the AR. I will therefore be demanding satisfaction on the neutral ground of Cheshire on the first weekend of December.

darylB
16-11-10, 09:08 PM
135 miles for me up the very pretty M6.

Mileage not an issue:D

Funnily enough same mileage, Bev and I will be tootling up whenever it is, we spent a week in Clapham ( 2 miles from Austwick) in Oct but that was a walking holiday, we'll just have to avoid the ramblers walking down the roads talking and ignoring the traffic. :D. The scenery is breathtaking and looking forward to going back. We said when we were up there that we would go back on the bike, didn't realise it would be this soon and for the AR. Mileage doesn't matter now as the Sprint is super comfortable, (unlike a 675 which must be a pain in the ****, wrists etc). Me thinks Ed is Taking the Pi55 about the m6, pretty it certainly aint.

Daryl

dizzyblonde
16-11-10, 11:19 PM

5hrs:smt103 Where ya goin the outer Hebrides? I've done it in 3 and half, me and Pete used to do it regular when we visited each other!

Ed
16-11-10, 11:28 PM

Begs the question, why did you vote for it...

I put it to you good sir, that your sorry excuse for a county contains no decent highways worth traversing and no-one man (or woman) enough to put their heads above the parapet and propose a venue for an event as fine as the AR.

Hear hear

I will therefore be demanding satisfaction on the neutral ground of Cheshire on the first weekend of December.

You might hop down the A49 into the fine County of Shropshire, it ain't far, and you'll have a much better time:D

BanannaMan
17-11-10, 06:23 AM

I'll trade with you if you like! ;)

Stig
17-11-10, 07:50 AM

So will we be seeing you again next year then?

maviczap
17-11-10, 09:10 AM
5hrs:smt103 Where ya goin the outer Hebrides? I've done it in 3 and half, me and Pete used to do it regular when we visited each other!

Neither of you have followed me and my imfamous Gary Garmin :p

Just what Googley maps quoted

dizzyblonde
17-11-10, 10:27 AM

Bloody GArmns! We had one...it went in the wheelie bin, and got replaced with a NavMan, that doesn't get us lost, unlike the nasty Garmin. Although its only used in the car!

maviczap
17-11-10, 10:31 AM
Bloody GArmns! We had one...it went in the wheelie bin, and got replaced with a NavMan, that doesn't get us lost, unlike the nasty Garmin. Although its only used in the car!

Yep, looking for an alternative to Gary, no rush at the mo and I think I can do A14 - A1 for most of the way to AR11.

Boring, boring, very very boring. So will find an alternative route off the beaten track :p

orose
17-11-10, 11:00 AM
Give me a shout closer to and I'll set you right...

timwilky
17-11-10, 11:08 AM
Begs the question, why did you vote for it...

Hear hear

You might hop down the A49 into the fine County of Shropshire, it ain't far, and you'll have a much better time:D

that the conundrum Ed. The location has lots of good roads just a few miles down the road once you are out of the damm county.

Dont let them know they have some good roads within the county as well or their over inflated egos will grow to bursting.

You have to remember we have 500 years of bragging rights, there is nothing a Lancastrian hates more than a tyke, unless of course the mutal enemy is within range and then we will automatically form an unholy alliance against the southern shandy drinking poofta.

_Stretchie_
17-11-10, 04:25 PM

Meh, you tart...

(I think I better get that bloody bike trailer sorted then)

Bluefish
17-11-10, 06:51 PM

Lol, our Garmin caused us a few issues over the water this year, but better the devil you know ;)

BanannaMan
18-11-10, 01:04 AM
So will we be seeing you again next year then?

May depend on the date, but yes planning on being there.

I'll PM you my date of arrival and what bike so if you happen upon some numpty on the side of the road in Calne trying to figure out whether to look for petrol or try to make it back to GG's with the remaining satnav batteries you'll know it's me! LOL

Stig
18-11-10, 10:27 AM
May depend on the date, but yes planning on being there.

I'll PM you my date of arrival and what bike so if you happen upon some numpty on the side of the road in Calne trying to figure out whether to look for petrol or try to make it back to GG's with the remaining satnav batteries you'll know it's me! LOL

LOL. Yes, sorry about that. :oops:

BanannaMan
19-11-10, 02:37 AM
Lol, our Garmin caused us a few issues over the water this year, but better the devil you know ;)

I used a Garmin in the UK and the only problem seemed to be that on certain roundabouts either you couldn't tell which road it was pointing at or it pointed in the wrong direction. Of course as soon as you exited the roundabout it indicated you were headed in the wrong direction. :rolleyes:
I did the like the red flashing display telling you you're going too fast when you enter a 30 zone. (not that I slowed up any but nice to know) ;)

LOL. Yes, sorry about that. :oops:

Thanks Si but you had know way knowing my situation (other than perhaps the numpty part) and we had not met so would not expect you to have stopped.
And makes for an even better laugh over the whole thing now! :lol:

Funny, I never let my tank get below half at home and I know where I'm going.
You'd think being in another country...well lesson learned.
And a satnav wired to the bike will be a must for my next trip!!!

ManxMatt34
19-11-10, 06:04 PM
I'll be there, 2 up probably.