PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth + radios

Harry_Mc
13-01-11, 06:44 PM
Im looking at getting a headset for my lid... dont want to spend too much on one but could do with is supporting ipod / phone / sat nav etc... does anyone already use these and if so do you have any recommendations?

kaivalagi
27-01-11, 10:46 PM
Just looking for the same thing myself, to support sat nav, phone and if money can afford bike to bike comms later on...so far the only thing that looks decent and suitable is the expensive cardo scala rider stuff...

I would go without bike to bike comms if the device was cheaper and smaller and would fit inside the helmet okay - so long as bluetooth hands free was do-able...any of the mono hang on the ear stuff small enough?

Any suggestions based on experience/purchases would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Terah
27-01-11, 11:31 PM
Haven't tried it yet but I'd been thinking about getting a set of noise cancelling earphones, and plugging them into something like the Jabra BT3030. It does multiple pairing so you could have sat nav + iphone paired, and also has a mic for calls.

As said not tested yet but should work fine for sat nav / tunes, and for calls once pulled over. And is pretty cheap.

kaivalagi
28-01-11, 08:24 AM
Mmmmm, interesting...can get a Jabra BT3030 for £20 on fleabay....

What is the battery life like on them, especially if paired to 2 devices?

Could be tempted, I can hang it around the neck inside a jacket, dump the phone into a rucksack/tankbag etc and use sat nav too...and get a free pair of gromit headphones (already use the same type on the bike now, they're good at dulling down noise in general)

Let me know what noise cancellation headphones you find that would work inside a helmet...

I'm gonna ponder on it for a day or so, and if it's still the best option out there then I'll go for it, thanks

tom-k6
28-01-11, 09:17 AM
all i do is set my phone to any touch answer and wear my headphones, i have those tiny in-ear ones, and if my phone rings, it rings in my ears and i just mush my trouser pocket til i press a button and it answers, when the call is done, i wait for the person to hang up and my mooosic carries on from where i left off, does me fine, and i just trail the wires up inside my jacket and into my head =]

Terah
28-01-11, 09:24 AM
Supposedly 230 hours standby, 7 hours streaming music or 8 hours talk time. Given the standby time I doubt just being paired to two devices will make much difference.

I've put a cigarette lighter socket with a usb adapter under the pillion so I can run power to the handlebars / tankbag for sat nav / phone, or to charge the headset if needed.

Have a set of Etymotics ER6i earphones, which supposedly give up to 35dB noise reduction - bought on the thought that even if off they'd give some ear protection.

klu
28-01-11, 09:31 AM
Sena SMH10 is supposed to be one of the best, not cheap though.

Geodude
28-01-11, 09:55 AM
all i do is set my phone to any touch answer and wear my headphones, i have those tiny in-ear ones, and if my phone rings, it rings in my ears and i just mush my trouser pocket til i press a button and it answers, when the call is done, i wait for the person to hang up and my mooosic carries on from where i left off, does me fine, and i just trail the wires up inside my jacket and into my head =]
With this set up can you talk to your caller i.e. do you have a mic or is it incoming only?

kaivalagi
28-01-11, 11:07 AM
I need a solution for sat nav, not just phone...if it was just the phone I would hook up my sennhieser gromit headphones and if I get a call and can stop I can pullover and answer....but what I am after is the bluetooth to the satnav with the added bonus of bluetooth to the phone for free...even if the device only handles 1 pairing I can pair the mobile to the sat nav for calls anyway

I have my car tomtom in a waterproof case but space is limited and I failed miserably at sorting out a right angled 3.5mm jack lead as the case wouldn't zip up with it pluged in (DIY plugs are just too big!). What I had intended originally was making a small extension that could plug into the satvav and provide a 3.5mm jack socket on the end of a wire hanging from under the case (through the gromit/rubber slit thing it has) - that way I could just plug headphones in and out of the satnav without a wiring debacle

Here's what I am dealing with (wire shown is for charging with a 12v socket):
http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy91/kaivalagi/Scratch/IMG_20110128_110943.jpg

L3nny
28-01-11, 11:24 AM
http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-solo

kaivalagi
28-01-11, 12:40 PM
Yeah I know, I keep coming back to that rip off.....if I can hold out I might just get one once my next contract is signed...

Do a lot of riders use the scala stuff and if so when out on a ride can everyone communicate in a group? I assume you need a team kit then?

L3nny
28-01-11, 12:44 PM
I bought a set of the scala ones and they were great. Only problem is you can only really use them for 2 riders at a time. Technically it's 3 but not all 3 can talk to each other. Cause a 3rd mate wanted in on the action we all bought Autocom sets.

I never really used it to talk to another rider but used it with my phone a couple of times and the person on the other end had no idea I was doing 80 at the time.

In my experience there is no point buying the cheap stuff as it just doesn't work.

kaivalagi
28-01-11, 12:54 PM
Were you using the solo kit I've seen for £85? Or did you go for the more expensive g4 stuff that was released end of last year? Not sure whether it's worth the extra or not...from what I have ready the cheaper solo stuff does stereo sound, noise cancellation etc which is all I'd want...

Autocom don't do a system that connects to bluetooth as well do they?

L3nny
28-01-11, 01:47 PM
I had the Q2

kaivalagi
31-01-11, 10:06 AM
Just looking at the Cardo Scala Q2 and G4 head sets and the G4 reviews I've seen raised issue with screw on mounting on some Shoei helmets...

Anyone got any comments on this? I have a XR-1100 and wouldn't want to spend all that cash to find I need to use the sticker based mount rather than the screw on one...

Harry_Mc
09-02-11, 11:35 PM
i ended up getting these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-BT-interphone-bluetooth-motorcycle-helmet-intercom-/270594938899?pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Bluetooth_Ac c_ET&hash=item3f00b71813

the speakers are not the best you cant have mp3 too loud or it gets a bit rubbish but to be fair they can be played sufficiently loud... anymore and i would have ringing in my ears haha...

work pretty good as an intercom but can be a bit fiddly as the phone and intercom can mess up but they are less than 1/4 the price of the scala and looking online people are not keen on the scalas really...

kaivalagi
10-02-11, 01:02 AM
@Harry_Mc, The pricing is a darn sight better than those rip off scala products, they might be nice and work 100% (get what you pay for and all that) but I can't justify the cost for them either.

I have ordered one of the Jabra Bluetooth dogtag things mentioned earlier in this thread (BT3030) off ebay from Hong Kong...it was really cheap but now I have the long wait for it in the hope when it arrives it's the real deal (£15 from hong kong, £35+ from UK).

I figured as the wife is scared to come on the back with me and I have no real need to talk through a mic except for phone calls (which I shall do once stopped using the dogtag) then I only need to hear stuff in my ears on the move and for £15 the BT dogtags should work just fine. They even pair up with more than one device which might be handy...

I'll post the results of using them once I have trialled them for a bit

sv4me
10-02-11, 02:57 PM
Bit late in the day now and still way more expensive than you guys have spent but I bought a pair of these

http://www.alan-uk.com/bt2/images/bt2.jpg

Midland BT2, managed to pick the pair up for £180. Have used it for the odd occasion i enticed the gf on the back and the odd time I've gone out with my dad. Can be used rider to rider within a 200m range, anymore and you'll need a walkie talkie to extend it.

Main use so far was linking it to my Garmin when in europe, worked a treat. Easily pairs with the sat nav and my phone so you browse your phonebook and call someone using your sat nav (great for annoying your mates when theyre in work and youre out enjoying yourself :smt081) easily held a conversation whilst trundling down a dual carriageway at 70, my mate didnt believe I was on the bike. Nice big buttons can be operated whilst wearing your gloves too. Battery life is about 8hrs

A big :thumleft: from me

Ch00
10-02-11, 04:23 PM
Just looking at the Cardo Scala Q2 and G4 head sets and the G4 reviews I've seen raised issue with screw on mounting on some Shoei helmets...

Anyone got any comments on this? I have a XR-1100 and wouldn't want to spend all that cash to find I need to use the sticker based mount rather than the screw on one...

I have a scala teamset and they won't fit the XR1100 using the screw plate. I have set up my older XR1000 to be the comms lid.

I have the G4 teamset but i didnt pay the full price.

kaivalagi
10-02-11, 04:42 PM
I have a scala teamset and they won't fit the XR1100 using the screw plate. I have set up my older XR1000 to be the comms lid.

I have the G4 teamset but i didnt pay the full price.

Thanks for letting me know, I am glad I didn't purchase the scala stuff now otherwise I would have been a little upset having to use the sticky stuff instead of the brackets, especially when the mic and intercom would be bonus functionality not essential

Ch00
10-02-11, 04:47 PM
No probs. I bought a set to keep the Mrs happy as part of the deal to get a new bike. I can still hear her on a motorway with ear plugs in too. Not sure if thats a good thing or not only time will tell!!!

kaivalagi
10-02-11, 04:54 PM
No probs. I bought a set to keep the Mrs happy as part of the deal to get a new bike. I can still hear her on a motorway with ear plugs in too. Not sure if thats a good thing or not only time will tell!!!

lol....sometimes I am glad my mrs has no interest in being a pillion, I'd suffer from head butting and ear ache no doubt...I'm working on the washing my bike routine as she needs to be part of the hobby somehow ;)

muddydude
16-07-11, 01:45 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-BT-interphone-bluetooth-motorcycle-helmet-intercom-/250815664976?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3a65c75350
me and my Brother have these.They are pretty cool 500m range(we tested them lol)earphones velcro into the helmet and mike tuck neatly away..crystal clear until you get around 80mph then the wind kicks in.I use mine with my phone as it auto answers after 5 rings also play my music through them with phone..can connect to any bluetooth device so fi your tomtom is bluetooth it will work..I'd recomend them ;-)

maviczap
16-07-11, 02:45 PM
I've got an Interphone F2, which is for a solo rider, similar to Lenny's Scala

http://www.interphoneuk.com/F2.php

It's got bluetooth, so it'll pair with sat nav & phone, cutting out the sat nav when you get a call.

I bought one of them little in ear hands free bluetooth devices, but it couldn't pair with the satnav, so beware.

Wind cancelling mic to talk as you ride, plus stereo headphones. One of which you can unplug so you could plug in a noise cancelling earphone.

Also has a spare 3.5mm input jack for an Mp3 player, as my TomTom rider didn't have a built in Mp3 player which my Garmin Zumo did :smt091