PDA

View Full Version : Wynns Brake & Clutch Cleaner

Fluffer
17-01-11, 11:53 AM
Had to clean off the crap from my stuck pistons so went about trying to do it all right, g-clamps brake cleaner etc. Wynns Brake and clutch cleaner from Halfords i spent ages outside in the cold, spraying it on and scrubbing with the firm toothbrush for all my worth and only very slowly with a lot of hard work did the crap come off (and not even all of it)

Tried fresh brake fluid as recommended elsewhere and boom, whole thing clean in an instant - my advice would be to save the £8 :pale: on this and go straight for the brake fluid that you'll likely already have...

Sid Squid
17-01-11, 09:44 PM
Brake and clutch cleaner is for removing contamination only from friction surfaces, like brake discs and drums, pads and shoes, dry clutch plates - not for general cleaning. It is a very high flash point solvent that leaves no residue so is a rubbish cleaner as it evaporates away in no time.

Tesco's own brand cream cleaner is the best, (read; works well and is very cheap), thing for cleaning brake parts.

Fluffer
18-01-11, 11:03 AM
Thanks Sid - now i know why my elbow grease was seemingly going to waste. The reading on the can doesnt really make this clear, mentioning calipers, pistons etc so assumed it was 1)safe and 2) the right stuff... but thats really no excuse for my own ineptitude i guess :D

Cream cleaner you say? Googling around there's always so much conflicting info - some use soap / fairy liquid and others go mad at them for it etc seen multiple things but not cream cleaner so will pick some up. Used brake fluid last night and works a treat.

Guess i'll change my review to "Wynns Brake & Clutch cleaner: unknown success at what it's supposed to do, but doesnt do well what it's not supposed to do. Use a different product thats supposed to do what you want it to do if this isnt supposed to do it" :p

Sid Squid
18-01-11, 09:59 PM
Cream cleaner you say? Googling around there's always so much conflicting info - some use soap / fairy liquid and others go mad at them for it etc seen multiple things but not cream cleaner so will pick some up. Used brake fluid last night and works a treat.
On a brake piston you could use pretty much anything you like if it works, obviously with soft metals be careful with anything abrasive, it's only really on plastic and rubber components that you need to get fussy about what you use, there are some cleaners that will react with rubber etc. Tesco's* own brand cream cleaner is my favourite for such jobs as the shop isn't far and did I mention it's very cheap? As long as you wash off the residue you could happily use just about anything to clean just about anything.
Some people say don't use washing up liquid to wash your bike as it's got salt in it, how daft - don't leave it on there of course, but you could happily use it as long as you wash the bike off with water, which I imagine you'd probably do anyway whatever you used to clean it :confused:.

Guess i'll change my review to "Wynns Brake & Clutch cleaner: unknown success at what it's supposed to do, but doesnt do well what it's not supposed to do. Use a different product thats supposed to do what you want it to do if this isnt supposed to do it" :p
I don't know if that will fit - no question it's a very comprehensive and abundantly explanatory title though.

*I'm sure that Asda/Sainsburys/Morrisons/Waitrose (if you're rich)/Co-Op/Poundstretcher etc cream cleaner will work just as well.